8 replies to this topic

djrose007

djrose007

djrose007 - Dave Rose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationGloucester

I'm thinking, for a number of reasons, of selling my MX-5. I haven't fallen out of love with it but running two cars is expensive and my wife hasn't got the confidence to drive it. Plus we have grandchildren and travel to stay with our daughter in Lincolnshire so it's not practical with luggage, wife and the dogs!!

I haven't put it up for sale but I'm looking for a feel of what people might be willing to pay including the 007 plate.

Registration XO07MXS
RC 2.0i Sport 2007 model (Heated seats etc.)  http://www.mazda.co....ure_may2007.pdf

53,600 miles  (less at the moment but rounded up to 53,600)

Copper Red

Clear wind blocker

brushed alloy handle strips and repeater surrounds (to match the roll bar covers)

Full service history, mostly by cheltenham dealer, tried another place once but went back to the dealer.

Recent new tyres

New Calipers, disks, pads on the front in March 2017

New Calipers, disks, pads on the rear around March 2016

New drop links early 2016

General age related scuffs and supermarket car park 'dings' but still looks good polished up.

Drivers door retaining bar bolt (on the car body side, not the door) broke and I have a bodged retaining bolt but it is temporary

Drivers seat is worn on the outside back support, I have a repair kit and will have a go at it this week to repair it as I haven't been able to find a replacement, heated, seat.

Photos enclosed of the door and seat plus it has the 'luxury' mats which even after 10 years are looking good - I haven't cleaned for these photos, taken on an impulse! If it does go on the market I would go through it like a dose of salts cleaning and polishing.

Apart from that it is mechanically excellent. I've always kept even the engine compartment clean and wiped over with polish so I'm not embarrassed to open the bonnet for viewing!

Any ideas? Offers? - With the registration I was hoping it would fetch me around £6,000 - thoughts?
I may decide not to sell, depends on what I might get for it but thought I'd let you enthusiasts know first.

Cheers and grateful for any advice
Best wishes
Dave Rose (Gloucester).

P5154195_zpshr2m04vc.jpg

P5154197_zpszygobnz6.jpg

P5154196_zpso6yfsapk.jpg

01%20March%202014%20with%20XM569_zpsvtno

01%20March%202014%20with%20OSS%20Sticker

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 31647 posts

Current mood: Question

POPULAR

I'm so sorry to hear you may have to part with your 5 Dave :(

• djrose007 likes this

djrose007

djrose007

djrose007 - Dave Rose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationGloucester

POPULAR

I'm so sorry to hear you may have to part with your 5 Dave :(

Trouble is that I don't really have to part with it but circumstances make me think it is the practical thing to do, especially as I am using my Bike for journeys where I would have used the MX-5 for. Winter is probably the time I would really regret it.
My wife would like a Mini Clubman but we are running a little Suzuki Alto which was my mother in laws and we need it to transport her around because she lives with us. it's not a bad car but only 1ltr engine. We've run up to Lincoln in it recently (320 mile round trip) 3 times and it is a smashing little car, just not very exciting!!!
I may not sell, I'll see what feedback I get back from those that know about such things.
X

P.S. just looked at your profile. I used to travel to Martlesham for meetings with BT years ago, quite a haul from Gloucester but a great journey in the '5 
:-)

Edited by djrose007, 15 May 2017 - 05:14 PM.

• Pat likes this

Mark

Mark

Having fun topdown in my MX5

• Administrators
  • 10970 posts

Current mood: Thinking
Hi David, sorry to see that you are thinking of selling your MX5 :(

The 007 plate would appeal to a James Bond enthusiast, but I suspect would add little to the value of the car otherwise. For example, I might think nice plate, but would I pay more than £100 / £200 on top of the price of a similar car with an ordinary plate, probably not.

How bad is the wear on the driver's seat? It looks bad in the photo, but I suspect that is a close up, and in reality it's probably only a relatively small area, in which case many MX5s of that age have similarly worn seats, so should not put off potential buyers.

Your car has some big selling points, one owner from new, and low mileage, and the RC model seems to be more in demand than the soft top, attracting a premium on selling price.

Advertise it in the right place, at the right price and it will sell easily :nod:. Having said that, the weather can play a big part at this time of the year. If you are lucky and put your car up for sale on a lovely hot weekend, then you will get a few enquiries, as people rush home to view Autotrader and the like, having seen people out and about having fun in their convertibles, while they are sweltering in their tin tops. A wet weekend though, and you will probably get little interest.

Would you get £6,000 if you sold, I don't know, but I don't think it is an unrealistic price, so all you can do is price it at a little more than you want, as buyers like to haggle a bit off, and if you don't sell then you know it was not meant to be.

djrose007

djrose007

djrose007 - Dave Rose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Thanks Mark, sort of advice and comment I was looking for. After pulling back the seat cover that I'd put on to stop it getting any worse (I ordered the wrong cover of course, being me. Got Mk1 instead of MkIII- DOH!) it's not as bad as I remember it. I'm going to do a repair job on it with a kit I bought some time ago.

I was going to go down the ebay auction route but I think you are right about autotrader. If it doesn't reach the sale price then I know it doesn't appeal as much. Looks complicated to take the plate off and sell separately but that might be a better idea.
When I bought the bike off ebay I know the bloke selling was hoping to get twice the price as he'd seen one in a dealership for £4,000, I paid £2,100. He was being very optimistic though as I've done a fair bit to it to get it into nicer condition and running better.

I'll have a go at the repair of the seat and door and then let you know what happens.

Cheers and thanks again
Dave

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 4895 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Dreaming

Hi Dave....

Sorry to hear you're thinking of selling your Mx....I'm sure you're aware, but prices on forecourts usually are £1500/£2000 over what a dealer has given in p/ex, so cars like this one.... http://www.autotrade...ponsored&page=1

Will probably stand the dealer around £5500, but they have 'prep' warranty & repairs to cover.....

As you have probably decided.... advertise it and see what response you get, as Mark says you have really some good points to put in your sale.

It'll sell at the right price.....

Good luck..... :thumbsup:

Mark

Mark

Having fun topdown in my MX5

• Administrators
  • 10970 posts

Current mood: Thinking

David, taking the plate off is relatively easy, you can do it online for an £80 fee. You put the plate on retention, and there is no fee to pay when the plate is transferred to another car. I did the same when I swapped my MX5 last year (sold the old car privately rather than part ex'ing so could not transfer the plate over from old to new MX5).

Thinking about it though, your MX5 may well have had its plate from the day it was registered, in which case it needs to be assigned an age related '07 plate, which may be a more involved process, I don't know :unsure:. The only cars I have ever had my plate on were always registered previously, and so were simply reassigned their original plate (bonus being for my MX5 I kept the original plates so didn't need to get some new ones made up when I sold it :skip:)

djrose007

djrose007

djrose007 - Dave Rose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Thinking about it though, your MX5 may well have had its plate from the day it was registered, in which case it needs to be assigned an age related '07 plate, which may be a more involved process, I don't know :unsure:.

Thanks Garffey and Mark,

I bought the plate in preparation for the car being ready when I ordered it so there was no previous registration but thanks again for the advice. I'll have to get a bog standard 07 plate if I don't get my asking price for it with the 007 registration.

I will miss it when it goes, just not using it as much now due to having passengers and carrying luggage when we go anywhere. My wife doesn't travel light!
I've also got the bike which I use a lot.

I'll see how it goes, I'm going to have a go at the seat first and tidy up that door problem.

Cheers

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 4895 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Dreaming

I'll see how it goes, I'm going to have a go at the seat first and tidy up that door problem.

Yes....Good move dj.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users