EstherLouise

EstherLouise

EstherLouise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGloucestershire

POPULAR

For all those who've ever owned an MX5 you'll understand my love for the car and for those contemplating buying one then DEFINITELY DO IT!

Bought my Mark 2 over 10 years back and was bitten by the bug in a flash. I have too many fun memories and genuinely exciting drives to mention and my 5's got me safely home through the most horrendous of weather conditions. One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned by far.

Absolutely gutted to say it's time for goodbye to my trusted friend as my new job requires off-road wheels.....Talk about one driving extreme to another!  My fingers are tightly crossed that once again in the not so distant future I'll be flying around the UK in another cherished 5 adventure. Beware people...the MX5 bug runs very deep!      

Attached Thumbnails

• MX5.9.jpg

• Kev5, bill119, Steveti and 2 others like this

Mark

Mark

Having fun topdown in my MX5

• Administrators
  • 10970 posts

Current mood: Thinking

POPULAR

Hi and welcome to the forum :). Sorry to hear that you're having to sell your MX5 :(, but fingers crossed that you will be back in a '5 soon
  • EstherLouise likes this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9233 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: Tired

POPULAR

Hello, EstherLouise and welcome to 'life'  :wave:

So, is this 'hello' - 'goodbye' then, or will you stay around here on our wonderful forum?

You will be very welcome, of course  :)

• Garffey likes this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

It has to have six cylinders .......

• Premium Member
  • 23677 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

Hi and welcome to "Life".

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 31647 posts

Current mood: Question

POPULAR

Hi EstherLouise and welcome to 'life'

Am sorry to hear you are having to part with your 5 :(

But please hang around when it has been sold

in the main, it is never long before 5ers get another one ;)

• Craigjessop, Garffey and EstherLouise like this

Gingertimbo

Gingertimbo

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 2438 posts

Current mood: Happy

POPULAR

Sad to hear you're selling .....lovely looking car and in the right colour  :thumbsup:  :D

2s18wh5.jpg

• Pat, Craigjessop, Steveti and 1 other like this

EstherLouise

EstherLouise

EstherLouise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

POPULAR

Thanks for the warm welcome Lifers!

Fingers crossed it's not hello and goodbye - With over 10 years Mark2 ownership I'm hoping I can make some valid contribution to forums.

Looking at all the 5 images on this site though I'm having huge pangs of guilt having made the difficult decision to part with her especially when today's weather is begging for a naughty blast round the Forest roads, top down....

Pat, you are absolutely right as I'm already dreaming about owning another!!  :nod:

• Pat, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 2 others like this

badman

badman

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 22742 posts
  • LocationBaddly Manor

Current mood: Cheeky

POPULAR

Fingers crossed it's not hello and goodbye - With over 10 years Mark2 ownership I'm hoping I can make some valid contribution to forums.

Looking at all the 5 images on this site though I'm having huge pangs of guilt having made the difficult decision to part with her especially when today's weather is begging for a naughty blast round the Forest roads, top down....

Pat, you are absolutely right as I'm already dreaming about owning another!!  :nod:

Haha, we know someone who has done the same thing! Sold his Mk3 and a few weeks later now has a mk4 Icon.

Isn't that correct Kev? He was absolutely awful to be with, his attic floor was saturated with tears making it even wetter than it is normally what with the leaky roof and all!

Welcome to Life EstherLouise :wave: and hope you do stick around as there are lots of friendly peeps here. ;)

You never know, we might even persuade you ñot to part with that gorgeous car. :giggle:
  • Pat, Kev5 and EstherLouise like this

moonshine sally

moonshine sally

...you can call me Sal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

POPULAR

Hi EstherLouise! ...same as everyone else has said, deep commiserations that you are selling, it seems such a shame you can't keep your little beauty for the weekends, even if you have to use another car for your job. But the insurance, extra road tax, not to mention general running costs, upkeep and repairs, as well as having somewhere secure to park her up are all serious expenses, I know. I'm one of those you mentioned who has been 'bitten by the bug' very recently, very hard, and I am already so all-consumed by my passion for my MX5, so I can imagine it'll be a very considerable wrench for you after ten years! What might be the "off-road wheels" you mentioned you are planning on going for?

EstherLouise

EstherLouise

EstherLouise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi EstherLouise! ...same as everyone else has said, deep commiserations that you are selling, it seems such a shame you can't keep your little beauty for the weekends, even if you have to use another car for your job. But the insurance, extra road tax, not to mention general running costs, upkeep and repairs, as well as having somewhere secure to park her up are all serious expenses, I know. I'm one of those you mentioned who has been 'bitten by the bug' very recently, very hard, and I am already so all-consumed by my passion for my MX5, so I can imagine it'll be a very considerable wrench for you after ten years! What might be the "off-road wheels" you mentioned you are planning on going for?

I am gutted to be honest but at the same time it'd be sacrilege for her to be sat idle for weeks on the roadside when she should be driven and thoroughly enjoyed. Tempted to keep her just for the weekends but the costs of doing so are prohibitive. A 3 door 08 plate 1.6 Suzuki Grand Vitara are my new work wheels - Practical, plenty of room for the dogs but a world away from the sexiness, pick up and sheer fun of driving an MX5!

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9233 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: Tired

POPULAR

Haha, we know someone who has done the same thing! Sold his Mk3 and a few weeks later now has a mk4 Icon...

...Isn't that correct Kev? He was absolutely awful to be with, his attic floor was saturated with tears making it even wetter than it is normally what with the leaky roof and all!

Yes, yes...it's true...I was AWFUL to be with!! In fact I was just AWFUL, period!!

Inconsolable!! 

I was like this for 7 weeks, two days and 18 hours, to be precise. 

My lonely attic was my only solace, despite it's abject awfulness!

I wuz like this >>>  :(   :bored:  :sad:   :bored:   :cry: 

Then this >>>>>> :banghead:  :stomp:  :banghead:  :mad:  :slap: 

Finally, I could stand it no more - so I did THIS  :skip: 

\/

\/  (see signature)

• Pat, badman and EstherLouise like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 6090 posts
  • LocationWhere I am.

Current mood: Confused

POPULAR

For all those who've ever owned an MX5 you'll understand my love for the car and for those contemplating buying one then DEFINITELY DO IT!

Bought my Mark 2 over 10 years back and was bitten by the bug in a flash. I have too many fun memories and genuinely exciting drives to mention and my 5's got me safely home through the most horrendous of weather conditions. One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned by far.

Absolutely gutted to say it's time for goodbye to my trusted friend as my new job requires off-road wheels.....Talk about one driving extreme to another!  My fingers are tightly crossed that once again in the not so distant future I'll be flying around the UK in another cherished 5 adventure. Beware people...the MX5 bug runs very deep!      

Hi EL,

not good news having to sell up especially for off road wheels, my only hope is that off road wheels are genuinely needed i.e. farming really hard access etc. (I have a deep hatred of 4x4 or would be 4x4s just for the hell of it, they clog our MX5 roads up badly) right, all that said I hope you can hang around, provide input from your years of ownership.

I'm on 14years now from Mk2.5, Mk3 & Mk3.5s with various mods along the way and it would take a hell of a lot for me to move away from the current car, hence some serious expenditure for preservation coming up.

Why not pop over to the introduce yourself section and give is a good old rundown on your years of fun with the wonderful MX5.

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 7657 posts

Current mood: Sunshine

POPULAR

Welcome to life, EstherLouise. I know what you are saying about it being expensive, but in terms of smiles per mile..,.. have you considered reduced mileage insurance and SoRN for a few months, to make sure you don't regret it?
  • Steveti and EstherLouise like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 6090 posts
  • LocationWhere I am.

Current mood: Confused

POPULAR

Good point Ali,

I should really have reduced mileage insurance last year, health cr ap meant I covered <2500 miles, nothing serious but just feeling crap and not driving. I am now on reduced 6k miles/annum and it has made a difference. I should have asked if they (GREENLIGHT Hi chaps are you listening?) would give a discount for miles not covered???????????? Fair question really is it not?

In reality the genuine required use of a 4x4 is rare. My Dad was an Electrical Engineer with the transmission section of the old SSEB ( ok South of Scotland Electricity Board) and had use of 1960s/70s Landies and the occassional helicopter inpection of the lines on the towers which he hated with a passion. Other than the roughest of terrain he used his trust Hillman Hunters and Cortinas. 

It's only a view but we rely far to much on these mobile mansions to get to anywhere with some dirt on the road - true, realy why else are they called Chelsea tractors when dropping prince/princess off at school?

I do understand though that there is a need sometimes to have a vehicle that has a bit more ground clearance, grip be bollo xed quite often though, right tyres for the job and really how many 4x4s have off road tyres fitted as standard which I really don't get.

All I can repeat is that I hope you get back in a '5 soon.

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 4895 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Dreaming

POPULAR

Hi EL.... :wave:

Sorry to hear your having to sell but needs must I guess..... and keeping the car at the side of the road for just a few days weekend use per year isn't a good idea....

At least you have 10 years ownership behind you which sadly some people will never have the joy of.....especially those that think Audi/BMW and foot to the floor driving is all life's about!

Hope you'll stick around and be back in an MX sooner rather than later.....

EstherLouise

EstherLouise

EstherLouise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

POPULAR

Thanks Ali, I've just contacted LV and got an immediate low mileage reduction on my insurance - Whoohoo :thumbsup:  

• Ali5 and Craigjessop like this

EstherLouise

EstherLouise

EstherLouise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

POPULAR

The more I read on Life the more reluctant and unsure I feel about letting my 5 go.....To keep or not to keep that really is the question?? ::help:

It does all come down to cost now, mainly keeping her in the condition she so rightly deserves. Waxoyl hasn't prevented re-blistering on the rear wheel arches and getting those back in tip top condition is my main concern atm.

I had one rear arch chopped out, welded and resprayed over 7 years ago which cost £500, oh to be a bodywork repairer! Not sure if there's a more long term cost effective solution to sort that rusting out, complete panel replacement perhaps??

My multi-dog friendly Suzuki GV is a petite 3 door and isn't a 4x4 but does have pretty decent tyres and good ground clearance - I do agree with Steveti that the fashion for off-roaders is unnecessary for school runs and somewhat annoying but in my experience the Forest of Dean's hideously maintained roads and FC tracks warrant having that ground clearance. 

In the past 18 months I've had the 5's wheels realigned 3 times courtesy of non-avoidable craters but she has otherwise performed beautifully given absolutely cr*p road conditions.... 

• Pat, Kev5, badman and 2 others like this

moonshine sally

moonshine sally

...you can call me Sal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

POPULAR

Keep, keep, keep!!! :thumbsup: ...that's so easy for me to say though! ...I'm not forking out for the upkeep ....I totally understand your dilemma :unsure:

• Craigjessop, Garffey and EstherLouise like this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 31647 posts

Current mood: Question

POPULAR

Difficult decision 

but going on others that have been in the same dilemma

i reckon you may regret it if you do decide to sell :(

• Garffey and EstherLouise like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15226 posts

Current mood: Amused

POPULAR

Hang the cost!  Last year to my shame, I did 500 miles between MOTs. This year is looking like being much the same. Within the next three weeks though, I shall still be taxing and insuring it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users