Mazda MX5 Forum banner

Car Insurance - tips and warnings

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Roddy 
#1 ·
I am with Footman James.
The underwriters are AON (thieving ManUtd-sponsoring yankeedoodles)
For the princely increase of, about, 8bhp due to my new backbox i have just paid an additional £28.
Lowering... no issue....a piddly increase in bhp... wacko price-o
Not impressed.
Nonetheless - i am right to inform them as the cost of not telling them and something going amiss would be beyond costly

Reactions: Boycie and clix
#2 ·
I wonder if it has also increased the emissions and you should inform the DVLA and pay the same as me for your road tax :nah:

You might find £25 of the £28 will be admin charges (thats what Aviva charge if you ring up, but no charge if you tell them online), so come the renewal date it might not be too bad.

#3 ·
When I had my Mark 3 lowered in 2009 the company I am with (Admiral) charged me £20 or £25 I think for modifying my car from standard.

I have not made any performance mods, but I think some insurance comapnies have a rule that anything up to maybe 3 or 5bhp is OK but above that there is an additional premium to pay. It could be that the 8bhp quoted for Jots backbox falls into this category :unsure:

#4 ·
Here`s the thing, just say you know nowt about cars and you bought one that was lowered, had aftermarket wheels (Mazda caps showing) and a non standard exhaust. You did not declare `cos you were not aware. Is ignorance bliss, what would happen?
I just asked Reiss my insurer if there was an additional premium to pay for fitting heated leather seats, was told no extra charge. I`ll ask them about the other mods Iv`e done (no engine stuff) nearer the time ;)

#6 ·
I've just rang Footman James for a quote, my insurance is due for renewal and my current company won't renew next year as they won't insure cars lowered more than 40mm.
I asked for a quote to include my future Cobra Stainless Steel exhaust and listed the current mods. Footman quoted me at £539.38 for a limited 10,000 miles and no 3rd party cover on other vehicles with a excess of £350.
For an unlimited milage policy and 3rd party cover on other vehicles the quote was £671 with the same excess.
Both quotes give brakedown cover, European cover and legal cover.

The car is an '07 1.8se.

I didn't think the quote was too bad but what do other members think or can anyone recommend a decent company that they currently use. :?:

Cheers all

Danny W :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Hi Danny
Did mine back in Jan
£320 with one other named driver - same age as me
lowered 30mm
Racing Beat Backbox
12k mileage
Vol. Excess £250
Standard Damage £200
Standard F&T ........£200
she's a 1.8 op
Chaucer Direct
and postcode area band 'A'... so lowest risk

i used to be with FJ but was unimpressed by their lack of competativeness when it came to renewal
If you have another car to use i'd seriously consider REIS (richard eggar)

#8 ·
I'm taking notes as mine is due next month :(

Flux were fantastic with Tilly, lots of tweaks and they just add it to the list (though I expect the engine transplant added a bit ;) )
The Volvo is with Lancaster - They charged me a extra £10 for the non standard wheels which isn't too bad. As a 23yo with a fault claim on your ins being told your 1.8 car is only £206pa to insure is a big :D moment.

#9 ·
Quinn Direct will not cover Under 30s for this type of vehicle apparently!

#11 ·
A cautionary tale ---------
For many years I was with a broker. During my last year with them, the name changed, and since that time the office has closed. At no time during that period was NCD mentioned. It just happened automatically. With increasing premiums, and a new found confidence in modern technology, I then bought online. NCD wasn't mentioned at any time, just accepted on my declaration. The following year I used a second on line company, and again no mention was made of NCD. In July last year I bought and insured the old Spitfire, and yet again no mentions of discounts were made. Now I have the Arizona. Look online, select a company, make the declarations, and accept and am accepted for a years insurance. Next is an Email asking for proof in writing of NCD, and to supply this in three days. WHAT!!!!!!:?:
I replied stating the previous events. WHAM!!!!!:eek: Another mail demanding proof or pay another £600 within three days or face cancellation.
After much difficulty, I phoned a nice man at the company concerned. He assured me that nothing happens in three days. Only after 28 days and several mails will cover cease. In a perfect world, one company automatically informs the next company, and the customer of NCD allowance. As we don't live in a perfect world, this is often ignored. The year on a classic policy carries no allowances either. I'm a little happier:(
Next step , locate and find contact details of the company prior to the classic policy. Make the call, and a young lady will post my proof of 9 years dated July last year, and that is acceptable to the new company.:skip:
What a performance, possibly caused by my own trusting nature, naivety, stupidity, approaching senility, or whatever. Be warned though, and always ask for written proof at end of premium years. Save yourself a headache.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.