13 replies to this topic

roadster 2.5

roadster 2.5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 367 posts

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

The time has come to change the stereo in our Sport - here's a quick guide for the benefit of anyone else thinking about changing their double din factory stereo.

First, a 'before' picture. Looks nice enough, lights up the right colour
Posted Image

First step is to gently lever out the trim pieces at either side of the stereo. A small flat blade screwdriver will do the job, just be careful not to mark anything.
Posted Image

This then reveals a series of holes either side for the release tools. Good old fashioned din release keys in the lower two slots will do the job.
Posted Image

At the back of the stereo unit are the aerial and a white rectangular plug. Unplug both and then you can completely remove the stereo ready for your new unit. If you're going for another double din unit just pop in the cage, bend the tabs and hook up the wiring. If you're going for a single din unit you'll need something to fill the gap. I went for a BMW E36 clock and cubby readily available on eBay for around £10 to £20.

Here you can see the cubby (with the clock removed to deal with its wiring) and the din cage in place. You can also see the original factory wiring loom
Posted Image

Now the wiring. You'll need an ISO wiring loom adapter unless you are epically tight fisted and want to ruin the factory loom. I got mine from eBay for the princely sum of £2.90 - clicky. I tapped into the permanent live, dash illumination and earth leads to get fly off cables to hook up to the clock.

Now it's just a question of hooking up the wiring to your new stereo and easing it back into the dash. Typically my new stereo has the aerial socket on the right as you look at the hole in the dash whereas the original is on the left, so it was bit of a squeeze to get it to reach. The factory loom in my car wanted to curl up and block the back of the stereo, but you can hold it flat out of the way with a long screwdriver through the clock hole. That hole also proved handy to lift the stereo enough for the back bolt to push securely into the slot in the car.

And here's the finished job.
Posted Image

If you go for the BMW clock the wiring is as follows;
red/yellow - permanent 12V (yellow on the ISO loom)
brown - earth (black on the ISO loom)
red/grey - illumination (orange on the ISO loom)

The clock should light up BMW orange/red which should match the mk2.5 dash lighting nicely, but mine doesn't. It needs a new bulb, but that's a job for tomorrow when the shops are open!
  • clix, Jot, Mark and 4 others like this

Jot

Jot

On Tour

• Premium Member
  • 11635 posts
  • LocationCymru Ganol

Current mood: Breezy
Roadie - last IMG not showing mate
Looking great :thumbsup:

roadster 2.5

roadster 2.5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 367 posts

Roadie - last IMG not showing mate
Looking great :thumbsup:

There was no last image - it was my first attempt to load up a picture, which went wrong!

Jot

Jot

On Tour

• Premium Member
  • 11635 posts
  • LocationCymru Ganol

Current mood: Breezy
okay!!

Jumpman23

Jumpman23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1514 posts

The time has come to change the stereo in our Sport - here's a quick guide for the benefit of anyone else thinking about changing their double din factory stereo.

Posted Image

First step is to gently lever out the trim pieces at either side of the stereo. A small flat blade screwdriver will do the job, just be careful not to mark anything.
Posted Image

This then reveals a series of holes either side for the release tools. Good old fashioned din release keys in the lower two slots will do the job.
Posted Image

At the back of the stereo unit are the aerial and a white rectangular plug. Unplug both and then you can completely remove the stereo ready for your new unit. If you're going for another double din unit just pop in the cage, bend the tabs and hook up the wiring. If you're going for a single din unit you'll need something to fill the gap. I went for a BMW E36 clock and cubby readily available on eBay for around £10 to £20.

Here you can see the cubby (with the clock removed to deal with its wiring) and the din cage in place. You can also see the original factory wiring loom
Posted Image

Now the wiring. You'll need an ISO wiring loom adapter unless you are epically tight fisted and want to ruin the factory loom. I got mine from eBay for the princely sum of £2.90 - clicky. I tapped into the permanent live, dash illumination and earth leads to get fly off cables to hook up to the clock.

Now it's just a question of hooking up the wiring to your new stereo and easing it back into the dash. Typically my new stereo has the aerial socket on the right as you look at the hole in the dash whereas the original is on the left, so it was bit of a squeeze to get it to reach. The factory loom in my car wanted to curl up and block the back of the stereo, but you can hold it flat out of the way with a long screwdriver through the clock hole. That hole also proved handy to lift the stereo enough for the back bolt to push securely into the slot in the car.

Posted Image

The clock should light up BMW orange/red which should match the mk2.5 dash lighting nicely, but mine doesn't. It needs a new bulb, but that's a job for tomorrow when the shops are open!

Now that is a very nice unit there sir.:thumbsup: I had one of those and was very impressed with it. :)

Mark

Mark

Having fun topdown in my MX5

• Administrators
  • 11355 posts

Current mood: Thinking
The Mark 2 has a single din stereo with a clock and cubby hole beneath, so I wonder whether the clock and cubby hole from a Mark 2 would fit as an alternative :unsure: (and presumably readily available on Ebay)

Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2352 posts

POPULAR

Superb job and superb write up with pics mate , looks great :thumbsup:
I love interior fettling :skip:
  • roadster 2.5 likes this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8796 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Wow, what a stunning looking head unit, hope it performs as well as it looks. :giggle:
  • roadster 2.5 likes this

roadster 2.5

roadster 2.5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 367 posts

The Mark 2 has a single din stereo with a clock and cubby hole beneath, so I wonder whether the clock and cubby hole from a Mark 2 would fit as an alternative :unsure: (and presumably readily available on Ebay)

I would think it would fit, but I prefer analog clocks to digital and I think the mk2s light up green which would clash with the mk2.5 red

roadster 2.5

roadster 2.5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 367 posts

Wow, what a stunning looking head unit, hope it performs as well as it looks. :giggle:

It certainly does sir! You should get one yourself ;):rofl:

Jumpman23

Jumpman23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1514 posts

Yes they do , as jumpy has one. :)

Udders

Udders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Question! - i noticed you had the 'Good old fashioned din release keys' - i dont think i have these! i just bought a new double din unit and i think that came with the standard cage release tool like you have on single din units, what's the best path for me to go down?!

Adan52

Adan52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

@roadster 2.5 how's that stereo treating you. Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm looking for advice on single din head units and my last resort is the forum.
I've been looking for a good one and I couldn't make my mind up. All the reviews on the net seem to be hype. They are downplaying flaws and hyping any common sense feature like the volume knob. There are many brands that make stereos and they have almost unlimited selections. What should I be looking for? On the other hand I've came across a different blog. The blogger says it as it is and holds nothing back on this page. It's a bit critical for my taste. That has put me on the fence. So where should I get started?

Any ideas?

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 10175 posts

Current mood: Lonely

POPULAR

Apologies for the delay to post. Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately this is a really old post, but we do have some knowledgable people on here who should be able to offer their advice.
Why not nip over to the new member section and introduce yourself?
  • Pat, Roddy and Steveti like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users