Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3595 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

POPULAR

Meets seem to be scarce this year so if I can tempt you to come down to Somerset I will see what I can organise . We have the possibility of three , two on Sat 18th of August , the first is the old favourite , The Thornfalcon Classic in Taunton just off the M5 . A large show very popular and well attended by owners of all marques .No charge for entry , no prizes just a donation when you leave . 

The second idea is in Minehead we have a lovely park  'Blenheim Gardens 'with a Bandstand and over the Summer months free concerts are laid on . It just so happens that I know two of the Bands who play covers of classic rock and are very good . The Bandstand is at one end of the lawns but at the other end is an area with a park shelter in front of which would have room for 10 cars to park up . I would hope if I approached the council they would agree to us exhibiting there especially if we had a bucket for a local charity . The dates for the park are the 18th and 31st of August . 

So if anyone is interested in attending please let me know which date and where asap as I would have to talk to the council !!   Ross :cool:  

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20297 posts

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

Sorry Ross but I can't do anything at all this year. Hopefully next year I shall get to France again in June for the Commemorations. Good luck though.

• Rosko likes this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15473 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

The 18th of August is a Sunday, Ross.

I would be interested in Thornfalcon, depending on personal stuff going on. 

Minehead sounds a good call too, although I'm not into rock music these days.

• Rosko likes this

Hovis

Hovis

Master cat herder

• Premium Member
  • 4699 posts
  • LocationSwinedon

POPULAR

Interested - I have a booking for the weekend of the 19th, but as it's a saturday it might be doable whatever the date (except for the Wanborough show date of course!)  Happy to see you bunch of reprobates nice folks at whatever venue and date is chosen.  There may be news from Chateau Hovis after the weekend car related.

• Mark, Pat, Kev5 and 2 others like this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 37104 posts

POPULAR

Sadly too far for me Ross  :(

• Rosko likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8101 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Crappy

POPULAR

Having never been to 'Zomerzet' part of me would like a trip out :nod: .....(and an overnight), although the date better for me & Mrs would be the 31st.  :unsure:

• MJL and Rosko like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3595 posts
  • LocationSomerset

POPULAR

It would be great to welcome you to the West Country , Minehead and the surrounding area has lots of accomadation from Pubs to a Premier Inn in Minehead . The 31st Aug has a Band called ' Evolution ' playing retro classic covers , they are very good...I have to say that my son in law is the Bass player !!  :D

• Pat, Kev5 and Garffey like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8101 posts

POPULAR

It would be great to welcome you to the West Country , Minehead and the surrounding area has lots of accomadation from Pubs to a Premier Inn in Minehead . The 31st Aug has a Band called ' Evolution ' playing retro classic covers , they are very good...I have to say that my son in law is the Bass player !!  :D

Cheers Ross....Would love to make this, keep me informed of developments.  :thumbsup:

• Kev5 and Rosko like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20297 posts

POPULAR

Cheers Ross....Would love to make this, keep me informed of developments.  :thumbsup:

You do know don't you, that you have to drag a large caravan behind an underpowered car to really be accepted down in those parts Chris. The locals absolutely love you for that.

• Hovis, Kev5 and Rosko like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8101 posts

POPULAR

You do know don't you, that you have to drag a large caravan behind an underpowered car to really be accepted down in those parts Chris. The locals absolutely love you for that.

Yeah, wasn't thinking of taking the Mx Roddy...... ;)

Vitara has a tow bar and a piddling 1.6 motor....Just searching auto trader for a really heavy twin wheeler to drag behind!....

That'll please 'em!....

:devil:

• Hovis, Kev5, Rosko and 1 other like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20297 posts

POPULAR

How about if I drive the old Renault in front of you. We could pretend to be Travellers. We could sell pegs in the laybys. Kev would really be happy to see us, and Ross would delight in us trying to turn round beside his wigwam.

• Ali5, Kev5, Rosko and 1 other like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15473 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

POPULAR

...Kev would really be happy to see us...

You reckon?  :nah:

• Hovis, Rosko and Garffey like this

Hovis

Hovis

Master cat herder

• Premium Member
  • 4699 posts
  • LocationSwinedon

POPULAR

Come down through Wiltshire.  We always give travellers a warm welcome.

caravan.jpg

• Kev5, Rosko and Garffey like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3595 posts
  • LocationSomerset

POPULAR

I can supply a couple of wee dogs who never shut up barking which you can tie to the Van just to complete the look !  :rolleyes: An old cooker and Gas bottle seem to be important fixtures too !! :cool:

• Kev5 and Garffey like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20297 posts

POPULAR

I have a gas bottle and am collecting scrap as we speak. We can pick up a pony somewhere closer to tether on the verges. We need to find three or four grubby bare rsed kids who can aim a good stone as well.

• Hovis, Pat, Kev5 and 2 others like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8101 posts

POPULAR

We need to find three or four grubby bare rsed kids who can aim a good stone as well.

I'll just kidnap a couple off the estate on the way Roddy....Parents will be too busy (getting stoned/drunk/tattooed) to notice for a couple of days!!  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Probably all be good with 'half a house-brick' judging by the amount of boarded windows around here!

We'll be welcomed with open arms!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :nod:  :nod:

• Hovis, Pat, Kev5 and 2 others like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3595 posts
  • LocationSomerset

POPULAR

Well if we play by the council rules and obtain insurance at £64.00 which is the is the lowest quote I could get , that is just for one day !! On top of that is the hire fee for the park , I hate to think what that might be  :(  So we have two choices , the legal way or the other way , The legal way is expensive and complicated i.e Disposal of Rubbish would mean signing a contract with a Waste Disposal firm although it could be argued as an event we would produce no litter as such . I know that just by signing a contract with one of these firms costs you a minimum fee . The other way is to just turn up , line up and see what occurs ! Minehead has a couple of Traffic Wardens but I would say they would think the Gardens were not there patch . I have never seen a Park Keeper especially at a weekend so I cannot see one working at weekends .   SO my suggestion is …..We just turn up at 1,30pm and drive in in pairs , being photographed as they did at the OC national meet .We need a couple of Volunteers in High Vis Jackets to guide the cars into place ( Will make it look official ) These can be discarded later so no one looks like they are in charge !!   :cool:  If there are any problems just act stupid and leave the concert finish's at 4.00pm anyway .We could have a run out in the morning , grabbing a bite and a Toilet stop along the way , if anyone is interested .   :D

• Kev5 likes this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20297 posts

POPULAR

Haha Ross. Looking stupid should not be a problem for our lot.

• Kev5, Rosko and Garffey like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8655 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Carry over from other thread:

Rosko, on 19 Jul 2019 - 9:26 PM, said:snapback.png

I have filled in the form for us to hire a part of the park to hold our meet / show . It was simple enough until I got to the Public Liability Insurance which seems to be required and is not cheap , I will dig in further for a cheaper price . They also ask for details about how we will dispose of any litter etc , we cannot take it home or to the local Tip evidently . I will dig a bit further I have friends who do things like this . Back in the old days we used to bag it up and stack it by the Council Bins !!

Roddy's response:

This Ross, is why it is always a futile exercise having to ask permission. Much better to use the tried and tested method of meeting and doing, then a night in a Premier, and maybe a sedate drive before heading home. I am wondering how long ot will now be, before any more than (say) 6 cars together will be declared illegal. All because idiots, and that's exactly what they are, want to muck about on a public road, in front of fools who like the smell of burning rubber. Police should slap a section 59 notice on every driver recorded as being there last night.  You are correct in your assumption that I have not an iota of sympathy for any one of them.

My own thoughts definitely align with Roddy's comments. It's a bunch of mates turning up to meet up rather than anything like a cruise or official club meet. I know events in Stevenage have sharpened our sensibilities somewhat but there is a world of difference between what is an informal meet of I would imagine a completely different demographic than a large organised event aimed at those with high power modded cars that want to race them. I'd reckon the only racing at this event you're organising will be to the bar and restaurant.

What numbers do you have in mind Ross?

• Pat, Kev5 and Rosko like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3595 posts
  • LocationSomerset

POPULAR

10 would suffice and be a record turnout for us !! I have spread it round the other groups and will continue to promote it .

• Kev5 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users