Michael Brownlow

Michael Brownlow

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 223 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

After a tip off from Jim that Dino might have the SNC I have checked and he has. I have done a little research online and now don't know weather to be proud of the fact or scared to death! I will be checking out when the car last had a timing belt fitted and if it needs one the boys at CBS will get the job as I have heard getting it right is critical to the well being of the engine.

One thing is certain, this little 1.6 engine is a gem - it really does fly!
  • MJL, Qu1ckn1ck, boxerdog1 and 3 others like this

Bradders

Bradders

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3439 posts
  • LocationHere and there

Current mood: Breezy

POPULAR

Here you go Michael;

https://www.miata.ne...crankshaft.html

Im sure you've already done your own research. Definitely a good idea to get the boys at CBS to check it over while it's there.

• Michael Brownlow likes this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3595 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

POPULAR

I am sure my 1989 Eunos 1.6 has a SNC , lovely little engine does not worry me at all ! By all means have the belt changed but have the Water pump changed at the same time as if that goes the front of the engine has to be removed to get to it ! It is a cheap component but an important one . 

Also it is a ' Non interferance engine' so if the belt breaks it will not cause any damage , mine went once caused no problem at all .   :D

• Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck, Roddy and 2 others like this

Bradders

Bradders

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3439 posts
  • LocationHere and there

POPULAR

Reminds of the Intermediate Shaft Bearing scare when I had a 911 many moons ago. The only stories you hear about are of the ones that go pop, the silent majority are perfectly fine.

• Qu1ckn1ck, Rosko, Wrangler and 1 other like this

Michael Brownlow

Michael Brownlow

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 223 posts

POPULAR

Here you go Michael;

Im sure you've already done your own research. Definitely a good idea to get the boys at CBS to check it over while it's there.

Just waded through Dino’s history and the belt was changed 13,000 miles ago. The problem is that was 1998!! Looks like a trip to the boys in Nelson....
  • Qu1ckn1ck, Rosko, boxerdog1 and 1 other like this

Bradders

Bradders

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3439 posts
  • LocationHere and there

POPULAR

Sounds like you need to dust off Dino's cobwebs and give him an Italian tune up........

• Kev5, Rosko and Michael Brownlow like this

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11141 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Current mood: Happy

POPULAR

There is nothing wrong with the early 1600 cc engine: it is only incompetent mechanics who insert the crank key back to front!  :stomp: 

That level of incompetence could ruin any engine.

• Rosko likes this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5129 posts

Current mood: Angelic

POPULAR

Perhaps one cause but not perhaps the whole truth.

An alternative view

"There are, as has been pointed out in my article and by others, examples of keys that fit in backwards and crankshaft bolts that break without being disturbed. Dealers may be delighted to grasp the straw of clumsy amateur repair as a root cause. However, in my opinion, the dealers are more effected and annoyed at Mazda's attempt to foist this problem off on them. In other words, it is clumsy dealer technicians that cause the problem! What we see is the result of the lack of any honest and intelligent communication whatsoever between Mazda and their dealer network. The problem is a Mazda DESIGN issue."

• Rosko and boxerdog1 like this

boxerdog1

boxerdog1

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3570 posts
  • LocationIllogan, West Cornwall.

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

An alternative view

"There are, as has been pointed out in my article and by others, examples of keys that fit in backwards and crankshaft bolts that break without being disturbed. Dealers may be delighted to grasp the straw of clumsy amateur repair as a root cause. However, in my opinion, the dealers are more effected and annoyed at Mazda's attempt to foist this problem off on them. In other words, it is clumsy dealer technicians that cause the problem! What we see is the result of the lack of any honest and intelligent communication whatsoever between Mazda and their dealer network. The problem is a Mazda DESIGN issue."

That's the reason I made Michael aware of it .... with the mileage on his car it should not be an issue but needs bearing in mind during future Cambelt changes .

• steveh and Michael Brownlow like this

Michael Brownlow

Michael Brownlow

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 223 posts

POPULAR

An alternative view

"There are, as has been pointed out in my article and by others, examples of keys that fit in backwards and crankshaft bolts that break without being disturbed. Dealers may be delighted to grasp the straw of clumsy amateur repair as a root cause. However, in my opinion, the dealers are more effected and annoyed at Mazda's attempt to foist this problem off on them. In other words, it is clumsy dealer technicians that cause the problem! What we see is the result of the lack of any honest and intelligent communication whatsoever between Mazda and their dealer network. The problem is a Mazda DESIGN issue."[/size]

That's the reason I made Michael aware of it .... with the mileage on his car it should not be an issue but needs bearing in mind during future Cambelt changes .

Hi Guys,

I REALLY appreciate all the info you throw at me. Technically I’m a buffoon and hopeless with a spanner but I have got two cars I intend to keep and cherish. My main issue at the moment is Dino, which I think is an absolute peach of a car but it has to be said that’s purely my opinion and is based on nice red paint and lovely daisies!! It’s history is fantastic but I have the following plan:

Get the electric window repaired and hopefully the pop ups sorted. (Car booked in tomorrow locally).

Cambelt and water pump changed and a pre inspection for the mot which is due at the end of September. I will miss a service as it was done only 300 miles ago (foolish?) this time last year.

Mot

Work to be done in 2020 below:

Underside rustproofed and sills injected/possibly repair needed before rustproof but this will need to be confirmed.

Spray the inside of the door sill where driver’s right foot has worn away the paint to the undercoat.

Enjoy both cars in between using sparingly in dry weather

I’ll keep you posted....
  • MJL, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 2 others like this

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11141 posts

POPULAR

An alternative view

I wouldn't believe everything on the rabid site. Dealers obviously vary widely from country to country. The crank key, however, is the cause.

• Rosko likes this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15473 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

POPULAR

An alternative view

"There are, as has been pointed out in my article and by others, examples of keys that fit in backwards and crankshaft bolts that break without being disturbed. Dealers may be delighted to grasp the straw of clumsy amateur repair as a root cause. However, in my opinion, the dealers are more effected and annoyed at Mazda's attempt to foist this problem off on them. In other words, it is clumsy dealer technicians that cause the problem! What we see is the result of the lack of any honest and intelligent communication whatsoever between Mazda and their dealer network. The problem is a Mazda DESIGN issue."[/size]

Hi Guys,

I REALLY appreciate all the info you throw at me. Technically I’m a buffoon and hopeless with a spanner but I have got two cars I intend to keep and cherish. My main issue at the moment is Dino, which I think is an absolute peach of a car but it has to be said that’s purely my opinion and is based on nice red paint and lovely daisies!! It’s history is fantastic but I have the following plan:

Get the electric window repaired and hopefully the pop ups sorted. (Car booked in tomorrow locally).

Cambelt and water pump changed and a pre inspection for the mot which is due at the end of September. I will miss a service as it was done only 300 miles ago (foolish?) this time last year.

Mot

Underside rustproofed and sills injected/possibly repair needed before rustproof but this will need to be confirmed.

Spray the inside of the door sill where driver’s right foot has worn away the paint to the undercoat.

I’ll keep you posted....

All good there, Mike, except one thing - missing out a complete annual service, even considering the very low mileage, is not a good idea because fluids deteriorate with age as well as usage, especially the engine oil which will definitely have some contamination even after 300 miles. I would change the oil and filter regardless and maybe the brake fluid too if that hasn't been done for a while. Also have a quick shufti at the brakes on each corner, looking for any signs of leakage or excessive disc corrosion. Finally, check the tyres carefully for age cracking or any other obvious damage  :thumbsup:

• Rosko, boxerdog1, Garffey and 1 other like this

Michael Brownlow

Michael Brownlow

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 223 posts

POPULAR

An alternative view

Hi Guys,
Mot
I’ll keep you posted....

All good there, Mike, except one thing - missing out a complete annual service, even considering the very low mileage, is not a good idea because fluids deteriorate with age as well as usage, especially the engine oil which will definitely have some contamination even after 300 miles. I would change the oil and filter regardless and maybe the brake fluid too if that hasn't been done for a while. Also have a quick shufti at the brakes on each corner, looking for any signs of leakage or excessive disc corrosion. Finally, check the tyres carefully for age cracking or any other obvious damage  :thumbsup:

Yes, you are right. Dino has been serviced religiously every year sometimes, believe it or not only covering a couple of miles between services. To break that tradition is bad form so next month the car will be serviced.
I took the car yesterday to MX5 City to have the window relay changed and was chuffed to have all the mechanics come out and give Dino the once over. The appreciative nods confirmed Dino really is a special little car.

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11141 posts

You are a lucky man, Michael!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users