Bradders

Bradders

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3479 posts
  • LocationHere and there

Current mood: Breezy

POPULAR

So my trusty old DA finally died on me this morning and judging by the burning smell I'd say it's toast.

Any recommendations for a replacement without spending all of Mrs B's allowance ?

• Rosko and Steveti like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 9064 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

What make was the one that gave up Brad and do you have a rough budget?

Only asking as Polished Bliss have these https://www.polished.../special-offers on offer just now.

Auto Finesse are offering this https://shop.autofin...BCABEgKlSPD_BwE

Megs are up around the £250 mark now but still a good sturdy brand. It's not something I'd personally skimp on working on the 'you get what you pay for' basis.

Good luck.

• Rosko and Bradders like this

Bradders

Bradders

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3479 posts
  • LocationHere and there

POPULAR

I agree it's not worth buying cheap. My old one is a DAS and I think it cost about £150 so I'd be happy to spend around the same again.

I'd love one of those Rupes, Steve but £200 is a bit steep if I'm honest.

• Rosko and Steveti like this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 9064 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

I know what you mean, it seems a hefty layout for what it is.

However, for what it's worth, my Megs was around the £180 mark some 13 years ago and is still (touch wood) working fine. I wouldn't say it's heavily used but it has consistently given 2 x cars a proper corrective detail once a year involving going over the car with three seperate products and then any light polishing work carried out as seen fit, probably the equivalent of a proper workout on 12-15 full cars each year for the full 13 years. Not quite professional demands but still good service. 

• Bradders likes this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 4063 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

POPULAR

WOW ! That is expensive for something you will use a couple of times a year ! There are a few medium priced ones that will do an equally good job . I personally prefer to spend a bit more on the Mops and Polish .

• Steveti likes this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 9064 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

WOW ! That is expensive for something you will use a couple of times a year ! There are a few medium priced ones that will do an equally good job . I personally prefer to spend a bit more on the Mops and Polish .

On the face of it yes but I have always taken the approach of investing in buying the best tools I can afford for the job both for longevity and quality, the link to the various Rupes DA machines goes into strokes and orbital RPM and the effect this can have on working with the machine and the ease of attaining the desired finish and speed of correction.

A very rough calc works out at under £1 for each use of my Megs machine, equally Ross, I only buy pads and process chemicals towards the high end of the scale, again I spent some £70 on what seemed to be a very small tub of wax when I bought the GM, 6 years on and many many coats applied I still have a third of the small tub left, very economical in use and a show finish.

• Rosko and Bradders like this

Bradders

Bradders

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3479 posts
  • LocationHere and there

POPULAR

I've spent a very enjoyable afternoon researching.......Mrs B doesn't just understand the value of extensive comparison, assessment and careful consideration of all things car related. I did have 10 mins off to hoover the stairs. :)

• Kev5, Rosko and Steveti like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 4063 posts
  • LocationSomerset

POPULAR

Philippa enjoys her Soap Operas in the evening and all those Talent and Reallity shows , including that TV Carbunckle  Love Island !  This leaves me in peace in the Kitchen with my Lap Top and Plastic ! She does not have a clue ! LOL    :cool:  :cool:

• Kev5, Roddy, Steveti and 2 others like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 16265 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

...She does not have a clue ! LOL    :cool:  :cool:

Oh yes she does!!

Believe me!!

They know...

• Roddy and Steveti like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21149 posts

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

If Luba is upstairs and I slip my Debit Card from my wallet, she is down before I even get a chance to look guilty.  They do know. It is a well known genetic defect with them.

• Kev5 and Steveti like this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5286 posts

Current mood: Angelic

POPULAR

My DAS 6 came with a spare set of brushes , perhaps that’s all that’s required.
  • Steveti and Bradders like this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 9064 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

If Luba is upstairs and I slip my Debit Card from my wallet, she is down before I even get a chance to look guilty.  They do know. It is a well known genetic defect with them.

It is a well known genetic DETECT with them!

• Kev5 likes this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21149 posts

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

It is a well known genetic DETECT with them!

That as well Steve. We will be OK as long as non of our forum ladies check this thread. 

• Steveti and Bradders like this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 9064 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

Ah, we'll be alright anyway I'm sure, the worry is if any of 'our' dear ladies check this out :eek: :frantic:

• Roddy and Bradders like this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 38752 posts

Current mood: Sweet Tooth

POPULAR

Ahem i have just stumbled on this thread !!!

Now who do i blackmail first  :giggle:

• Ali5, Kev5, Steveti and 2 others like this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 9064 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

Me please Pat, use the whip
  • Ali5, Pat, Roddy and 1 other like this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 38752 posts

Current mood: Sweet Tooth

POPULAR

Attached File  post-50-0-98548200-1530551027.jpg   6KB   0 downloads

:giggle:

• Kev5, Steveti and Bradders like this

Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 669 posts

Current mood: Not Worthy

POPULAR

I've just bought an SPTA 5" DA from Amazon for circa £90 with pads. Ready for when I get George back as there's a fair bit of correction required to get her back to good, never mind brilliant.
Like my quadcopter gear, I have all my toys delivered to work so when I start using it, "Had it ages love" will be my response......... 

• Ali5, Pat, Kev5 and 2 others like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 4063 posts
  • LocationSomerset

POPULAR

AAHH! The old had it ages response , just make sure you throw out the box , I got caught that way with a new Booster !!  :eek:

• Kev5 and Steveti like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 4063 posts
  • LocationSomerset

POPULAR

Just to say having one of these helped me get my Mojo back concerning amateur detailing and the products available . I am lucky in one aspect though , that is the previous owner had her resprayed in genuine Ford paint in a proper body shop and it was oven baked on so no thin & rubbishy Mazda paint ! I also had a 3/4 freshen up of the paint when ' Nan' went in for her rebuild . The finish you can obtain using the polisher combined with the new waxes and ceramic coating are amazing and even stand up to the muddy tracks they call roads down here on Exmoor , the mud just washes off with a hose . It does help that she is under cover now in the Wig Wam hiding from the sand storms and chaff from Combine Harvesters working around the house !

• Ali5, Kev5 and Steveti like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users