Bradders

Bradders

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3439 posts
  • LocationHere and there

Current mood: Breezy

POPULAR

Our house insurance renewal has just come in at £60 more than last year. A quick phone call to Admiral this morning discovered that we were still insuring some of the junior Bradders stuff and removing off the policy those knocked £50 off the renewal price, my new friend also knocked a further £50 off as we are "such good customers".  :D

I then asked about their Multi Cover policy which I saw advertised on TV last night - that lumps together car and house insurance policies, same cover as existing but one renewal date. That knocked £150 off next years car renewal in March...... So that's £100 off the house insurance and £150 off the car policies for a 15 min phone call.

We could all save the hassle and avoid these silly games if they just gave us decent renewals in the first place......but then they wouldn't be able to screw over all the people who just accept renewal prices without shopping around or calling for better prices.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15473 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Our house insurance renewal has just come in at £60 more than last year. A quick phone call to Admiral this morning discovered that we were still insuring some of the junior Bradders stuff and removing off the policy those knocked £50 off the renewal price, my new friend also knocked a further £50 off as we are "such good customers".  :D

I then asked about their Multi Cover policy which I saw advertised on TV last night - that lumps together car and house insurance policies, same cover as existing but one renewal date. That knocked £150 off next years car renewal in March...... So that's £100 off the house insurance and £150 off the car policies for a 15 min phone call.

We could all save the hassle and avoid these silly games if they just gave us decent renewals in the first place......but then they wouldn't be able to screw over all the people who just accept renewal prices without shopping around or calling for better prices.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Here here, Brad. I have always said this. Why the hell do we have to barter with these shysters or risk being ripped off every year on a product that we legally must have??

We don't have to barter for our road tax, or our MOT, or the cost of our driving licence renewal, so why isn't car insurance - compulsory by law - properly regulated with a fixed price structure according to vehicle/driver/location?

Negotiating for car insurance every year is a bloody rotten time consuming chore and, for most people, is done under much sufferance. 

• Ali5, Pat, bill119 and 4 others like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20297 posts

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

The only time that Insurance Companies want you, is when you are a potential new customer. Then they have that fist signature, and don't give a monkeys any more. Whatever happened to customer loyalty? 

Energy companies are the same, and railways are a nightmare. If I want to take a train to London, have I really got time to search through all of the permutations and times to find a price? Then to start again to see if I should buy one ticket to York, and another from York to London? 

• Ali5, Pat, Kev5 and 3 others like this

Bradders

Bradders

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3439 posts
  • LocationHere and there

Current mood: Breezy

POPULAR

You would think that with all the fancy shmancy algorithms that track our daily lives, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a centrally administered insurance scheme could be devised, but where would the fun be in that......

• Ali5, Kev5, Rosko and 1 other like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3595 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

POPULAR

Most of you know that I am a big fan of the NFU , I like the way you can phone your local office and speak to a real person who more than likely knows you !! Our local office certainly knows me as I seem to be changing cars on a regular basis just lately . They do not appear on price comparison sites you have to talk to them in person . I must admit they are a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for . I hate to think what my experience would have been like in the last 12 months considering the claims I have had to make if I had been with a cut price insurer . I have my building and contents insurance and my cars with them , the cars I pay for by DD on a monthly basis which is handy as you can swap cars in minutes . 

As for the Trains I had a couple of experiences when travelling to London for hospital appointments where we had to book our seats and travel on a specific train , the return journey which I booked for later in the day to allow for the appointment running late, left me sitting on Paddington station for 3 hours waiting for the next available train that I would be allowed to travel on , honestly I want to buy a ticket and get on the next train available . The other thing is booking seats , I have been in the situation where I have seen a good fight develop over someone sitting in a booked seat . If they are going to run this system they need to police it .

• Ali5, Pat, Kev5 and 2 others like this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 37104 posts

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Great to see another good result Brad  :thumbsup:

I too agree all this haggling to get the price we should be charged in the first place

is so unnecessary

Annoying, time consuming and i feel legalised robbery if someone accepts the first quote !

• Ali5, Kev5, Roddy and 1 other like this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5129 posts

Current mood: Angelic

POPULAR

I'm going to be a rebel , I think by now anyone who can read and has access to a phone knows the rules of the game by now , yes it is a game. If your happy to accept the original quote then so be it. Yes it takes a bit of effort on our behalf, but what is the issue with that?  Although for most of us we feel this a chore and an injustice but in the end for what amounts often to one short phone call we end up saving often a good deal of money.

• Rosko, Garffey and Bradders like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8101 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Crappy

POPULAR

Yes Brad.....'Doing the dance' everytime a renewal comes up is so annoying, but for my two cars nobody gets to beat my quotes with Adelaide (via the IAM)....come close a time or two, but hey if I save a tenner so be it!

Saved half on the house contents insurance this time, but 'Multi car policies' just won't work for me, almost got it done once with 'quote me happy' (who insure the wifes Mazda 2) but was still £15 more than if I insured seperately.... :rolleyes:

Oh well, I best keep dancing!.... :hug:

• Pat, Kev5, Rosko and 2 others like this

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 9757 posts

Current mood: Vegged Out
Multi cover just don’t touch modified vehicles. They always say they can, then you give the details it’s always thousands to renew. My last multicover quote was £609 than if I had three policies separately.

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8655 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

As I understand it the reason we often get hit with silly renewal costs are that after year one, most companies then provide you with an automated, computer generated quote with no human input other than building a programme that assesses risk and on the basis of that risk, the premium.

As Steve has said it does become a bit of a game but ultimately over the years I have found it a very quick game to play, will they reduce the +£insert figure by a significant margin yes or no, if the answer is no, move on. Had it with Privilege this year on the house insurance, a ten minute call saw the premium £10 down on last year with no changes in cover or excesses. I know we shouldn't really have to do this but it is now the way the insurance market works. I would guess that few of us think twice about haggling on many other purchases, I know I do often.

• Pat likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users