• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Spike1306

Spike1306

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi

Wife has just bought herself a nice Mk3, I am looking to fit some lowering springs  (for cosmetic looks) and was wondering about wheel spacers also.

Has anyone lowered their suspension 30mm and fitted spacers and if so how much did you space?

Thanks

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20307 posts

Current mood: Fine

:coffee:

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8657 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Spacers are not a particularly good solution for anything, basically the will throw the suspension geometry out of whack by decreasing the offset of the wheels, this as well as lowering the car may in turn will bring about some weird handling to a car that is very sensitive to geometry changes. The recomendation of those on the know is not to decrease offset by much more than 10mm. Standard wheels are offset 55, the Schmidt wheels I run are 45 and getting the geo as it should be is a struggle. Spacers also can bring about issues with having to fit extended studs, personaly I would never use the stud extensions as I consider them to be dangerous.

• Kev5, steveh, Dewi RS and 2 others like this

Spike1306

Spike1306

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thank you for the reply, I was having a better look at the car and it probably does not need them in all honesty, and like you say they can cause more problems than what they achieve,

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8657 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Ideally for the Mk3 if you want to fill the arches out with a bit more wheel and rubber a change of wheel to a 7.5" width, 45 offset and 215/45/17 rubber will fill them out. Again mine is dropped approx 30mm and I have around 5mm clearance on the rear arches - tight but it's never rubbed in over 5 years.

• MJL, Pat and Paulo like this

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11985 posts
  • LocationWith the OFFAPIS

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

Spacers are not a particularly good solution for anything, basically the will throw the suspension geometry out of whack by decreasing the offset of the wheels, this as well as lowering the car may in turn will bring about some weird handling to a car that is very sensitive to geometry changes. The recomendation of those on the know is not to decrease offset by much more than 10mm. Standard wheels are offset 55, the Schmidt wheels I run are 45 and getting the geo as it should be is a struggle. Spacers also can bring about issues with having to fit extended studs, personaly I would never use the stud extensions as I consider them to be dangerous.

Pretty much word for word what I was gping to say, Steve. however I would also add that for anyone considering doing suspension mods to an MX5 then first buy and read Keith Tanners excellent book, "How to Build a Performance Miata MX5".  Everything about suspension set up any prospective tuner needs to know including the theory is in there.  It does't just apply to MX5s either, I used it for working out the size of front ARB to fit on the Frog - great little book which explodes myths and clears up the black arts of motor magic  :)   

• Steveti and Garffey like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users