• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

59peejay

59peejay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationManchester
Just looking on site thatchamfitters.co.uk and under " Mazda cars fitted with Thatcham cat2 immobiliser it lists MX5 NA sep95 on " is this correct!.

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3595 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

Mine is a 1989 Eunos so an import . It has a Thatcham Immobiliser fitted no idea when it was fitted though .Fact is I had problems with it and had it removed but left the light flashing so it appears to be working . I never lock my car as I worry they will cut the roof to get in !!  :eek:  :eek:  I also have never fitted expensive Headunits and removable items in the car , anything stolen I have a duplicate at home . Another thing I do is keep only a low level of fuel in it so it would need filling if it was to be driven any distance which brings me to making your car stand out in a crowd . I  live in Minehead , a small town and locals know my car and would be suspicious of it being driven by anyone else .  :cool:

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15473 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

Ah...so that's why you didn't want to put much fuel in it on Sunday!  :rolleyes:

59peejay

59peejay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationManchester
What makes me suspicious I haven't got one is the Two original keys are so small I don't think there's room for a transponder chip!

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8101 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Crappy

My old Mk1 Harvard had a seperate two button fob for unlocking the doors.....don't know if it activated/deactivated an immobiliser at the same time?

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20297 posts

Current mood: Fine

Didn't the early ones have a button thingy on the dash that you had to touch with a pencil thing to turn the immobiliser off. No transponders in the keys.

59peejay

59peejay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationManchester
Just seen an advert on eBay for a lockset immobilised and it shows a key with the small wing mirror shaped section popped out so I assume that holds the transponder chip!

Edited by 59peejay, 06 September 2019 - 08:27 AM.

Drumtochty

Drumtochty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Mazda advised Thatcham that they started fitting the button on the dash immobiliser with the fob from May 1994 until September 1995 and from September 1995 the cars coming into the country were factory fitted with a new series ECU that connected to a termic immobiliser and an ignition switch antena that required matched keys to start these later cars.

Due to stock movements it seems unlikly that there were not a good number of button on the dash immobilisers sold into the market until sometime into early1996.

Also it would take a while for the new stock to make it into dealers therefore the factory fitted units would take some time to appear at dealers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users