Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11979 posts
  • LocationWith the OFFAPIS

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

This was an article written by Quentin Willson & printed in a recent classic car mag I bought - it may have been for something to read on one of our summer jaunts when we found ourselves locked away in a Cornish or Scottish barn without any internet. I'd forgotten all about it but picked up the mag this morning for my daily trot to the bog / home library / reading room. I thought i'd share it here for no other reason than it struck a bit of a chord and I must say, I think it's a sentiment shared by many at the moment... ... or maybe not. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Clasic Car Mag.jpg

• MJL, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 2 others like this

Jono

Jono

ex-TR7 owner

• Premium Member
  • 12536 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

I have raised this thought previously.

Even ‘B is for Build’ can see the writing is on the wall and he is a dedicated petrolhead.

• MJL and Dewi RS like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15473 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

POPULAR

Thank you for that, D - I have always read Quentin Wilson's missives with respect and enthusiasm, but this has really hit the nail squarely. Almost every word in that makes sense and I cannot but agree with him  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• MJL, bill119, Dewi RS and 1 other like this

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11979 posts

POPULAR

I have raised this thought previously.

Even ‘B is for Build’ can see the writing is on the wall and he is a dedicated petrolhead.

That's actually quite brilliant Jono - if it's a good as he says. The whole battery thing is what's held back "proper" electric car development since the 1800s and has never radically moved on since.

My gripe with EVs has always been (apart from the fact they don't make a lovely noise) the inconvenience of the batteries. I can fill my tank in the ST with unleaded in about 4-5 mins. That's 10.55 gals capacity which will give me a range at its current consumption of 40.5 mpg of circa 427 miles.  Now, I'm not sure how long it takes to charge EV batteries but it sure as hell would be a lot longer than that to give me a 427 mile range.  He doesn't say in the video what the charging times are, only that they're "faster" to charge than lithium batteries but it would have to be some pretty damned slick technology to make the jump from taking hours to fully charge a lithium to charging this glass one in around 4 mins.  What does make it exciting though is the range, if they can crack that and get it to what he says - around 1000miles - then that will sell EVs to a lot more people. I hate to admit it but I'd buy one!

All that leaves then is the charging using the existing infrastructure, which is simply not going to cope with millions of cars drawing off it - not by using bloody wind farms anyway.  Just as an aside, they were running my mates power station a few weeks ago - before the weather even dropped cold - the one they're closing next Spring. The reason? No wind and this was the 3rd time this year that's happened where they've had to fire up the 3 remaining generators. This is what concerns me, how the hell is the grid going to cope when 1000s upon 1000s of cars are drawing power from a grid powered only by wind farms?   And, this is what I can't understand, why are EVs which use batteries that charge from an external power source being pushed so hard when we have the hydrogen fuel cell which will charge them on-board?  To my simple logic that seems to be a much better way forward

I've always believed that as consumers we get "steered" in certain directions which are determined by who invests the most $$ and those who stand to make the most from a particular technology, so we don't always end up with the best solutions.   :)

• Qu1ckn1ck, Steveti and Garffey like this

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11141 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Current mood: Happy

Personally, I like to say to my friends, "I don't have grandchildren so I'm not worried." Sadly we are now entirely delighted by our great nephew Julian. :D

We would like a working planet for him... but I can't see it. :(

https://www.bbc.com/...onment-50504131

Personally, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to the development of the lovely cars we have all owned but I'm afraid Quentin's argument is a lot of... err... rubbish!  :stomp: 

We are heading far too fast towards a future with 3 degrees of warming and that means the whole global economic system may collapse. If I was 12 I'd be out with the climate protesters. :blush:

But I at my age, I do feel the cold you know! :confused:  :giggle: 

bill119

bill119

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9236 posts
  • LocationChessy

Current mood: Cynical

POPULAR

With all the trouble with charging EVs I can't understand why they don't invent a universal flat cassette type battery that slides into a compartment in the sill  so you can just drive into a battery station and slot in a recharged battery in two minutes.

• MJL, Pat and Dewi RS like this

Jono

Jono

ex-TR7 owner

• Premium Member
  • 12536 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

POPULAR

With all the trouble with charging EVs I can't understand why they don't invent a universal flat cassette type battery that slides into a compartment in the sill  so you can just drive into a battery station and slot in a recharged battery in two minutes.

Tesla did it but closed the station down due to lack of use.

I can't imagine all the manufacturers getting together to agree on a standard for a 'Universal' battery.

• MJL likes this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8655 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

This was an article written by Quentin Willson & printed in a recent classic car mag I bought - it may have been for something to read on one of our summer jaunts when we found ourselves locked away in a Cornish or Scottish barn without any internet. I'd forgotten all about it but picked up the mag this morning for my daily trot to the bog / home library / reading room. I thought i'd share it here for no other reason than it struck a bit of a chord and I must say, I think it's a sentiment shared by many at the moment... ... or maybe not. :)

All very true but you know only to well my thoughts on this so called "green" revolution, it's a filthy business with the mess it leaves behind due to the many toxic materials they need to mine (with machinery that's fossil fueled) that are then transported to multiple sites for refining and manufacture, that's before we even delve into the bag of worms that would be our ability to generate enough power for the "EV Revolution" I just see much of it as another way for the billionaires to make even more billions with little regard for the expense to the environment or for ordinary people.

As for Elon Musk and his Cybertruck and other projects such as his truck, he's a conman and in truth not a very clever one.

The problem we have all comes back to the first law of thermodynamics/conservation of energy, our planet being a closed system, because of this we will forever be chasing our tails and sadly like many life forms on this planet, we are only visitors, extinction and/or evolution of human life on this planet is inevitable, it's been happening for eons and in relative terms we've been here a few seconds destined to burn ourselves out.

• Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck, Dewi RS and 1 other like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15473 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

POPULAR

Good points well put, Steve  :thumbsup:

• Steveti likes this

bill119

bill119

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9236 posts
  • LocationChessy

POPULAR

Tesla did it but closed the station down due to lack of use.

I can't imagine all the manufacturers getting together to agree on a standard for a 'Universal' battery.

Thing is there's not that many Teslas but if two major manufacturers did it others would have to follow suit, after all  all cars burn the same petrol/diesel and cars can use a multitude of battery manufacturers at the moment, it's a bit like the betamax and VHS tapes they settled down to the same format eventually.

• Kev5 likes this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 32709 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

I think Greta and all her little friends missed the bus, it left nearly 100 years ago when the human population surge became uncontrollable :

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-Revision-–-World-Population-Growth-1700-2100-772x550.png

• Kev5, bill119, Wrangler and 3 others like this

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11141 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Current mood: Happy

POPULAR

Too many people...

Very sad.

• Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck, bill119 and 1 other like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15473 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

POPULAR

Too many people...

Very sad.

Only in the conurbations though.

According to science, if all of humanity stood shoulder to shoulder, they would only cover an area the size of Los Angeles!

• MJL likes this

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11979 posts

POPULAR

Too many people...

Very sad.

According to science, if all of humanity stood shoulder to shoulder, they would only cover an area the size of Los Angeles!

A little nerdy Scottish factoid: You could apparently fit every livng person on earth in Lock Ness .......... a few may drown though if it wasn't drained first  :)  

• bill119 likes this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

• Premium Member
  • 32709 posts

POPULAR

It's not people's flesh and bone that is the problem but the never-ending sh*t that they create ! 

• Dewi RS and Garffey like this

bill119

bill119

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9236 posts
  • LocationChessy

POPULAR

A few years ago someone said that you could fit the entire population of the planet on the isle of wight, well, me being me I thought I've heard " Ducks Squawk before" so I decided to check it out. I'm average height and weight so I measured the width and depth of my shoulders and divided it into the area of the island and sure enough, give or take a few it was right.

• MJL and Garffey like this

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11979 posts

POPULAR

A few years ago someone said that you could fit the entire population of the planet on the isle of wight, well, me being me I thought I've heard " Ducks Squawk before" so I decided to check it out. I'm average height and weight so I measured the width and depth of my shoulders and divided it into the area of the island and sure enough, give or take a few it was right.

I think that falls into the category of, "Above and beyond the call of duty"  Bill   :giggle:

• bill119 and Garffey like this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 8655 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

Too many people...

Very sad.

A little nerdy Scottish factoid: You could apparently fit every livng person on earth in Lock Ness .......... a few may drown though if it wasn't drained first  :)  

I'll bloody Lock Ness you!! And yes I know you can pronounce Loch properly and yes I know you did that to get a bite and yes, you did get a bite bastid!! :P

• Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and Garffey like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

• Premium Member
  • 32709 posts

POPULAR

Surely he meant Loch Nis ?

• Ali5 and Kev5 like this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 8655 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

Surely he meant Loch Nis ?

Nah, that was the Knights that said that :giggle: now could someone get me a shrubbery?

• Ali5 and Kev5 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users