27 replies to this topic

seaneylad

seaneylad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

POPULAR

Afternoon all!

Having an issue with my mk3 2L NC steering wobble. Bought the car with the issue and plan on fixing it.

So far I have:
- Fitted new tires
- Balanced wheels (very straight and all balanced well)
- fitted new rear disc and pads (calipers were all free and okay)
- Fitted new disc and pads up front (had t free caliper sliders and siezed, now all 4 are free)
- Had wheel aligned on hunter system
- Checked tyres pressures they were 34psi from tyre shop, i dropped them to 28psi

Seems to come on around 70mph + .... it's better since I have done all this work but still there. Wheel bearings seem okay with no play also

Any ideas?

Cheers all :)

Ps. Added a pic seen as I havent on here yet. Next job is to paint wheels dark grey... well after I sort the wheel wobble hah!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200202_161221.jpg

Edited by seaneylad, 02 February 2020 - 04:12 PM.

• Ali5 and Rosko like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21064 posts

Current mood: Fine

Track rod ends?

What picture?    ;)

seaneylad

seaneylad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Track rod ends?

What picture? ;)

Had a problem adding it haha. Should show now :)

Hmm could be is there an easy way to check for play in them?

Cheers

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21064 posts

I would say the best way is a mechanic with a pit or a lift. He can check all components much easier than we can on the ground.

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Just to clarify, is it a wobble coming through the steering wheel or a vibration through the car? Rule of thumb front end issues generally manifest at around 50mph, rear end issues come in at around 70mph.

As Roddy has suggested perhaps best to get it up on ramps and have all bushings, ball joints and TREs checked for any play. Also as a side thought, perhaps try moving the wheels round one stud on the hub, could be a positional imbalance caused by very small imbalances between ub, disc and wheel setting off a harmonic imbalance. 

• Pat, Kev5 and Roddy like this

seaneylad

seaneylad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

POPULAR

Cheers for the info!

Yeah just a wobble no vibration, it drives nice and straight, brakes well and brakes straight with no pulling?

The previous owner chucked in some rear drop links in when I bought it as soad they maybe due soon. Could they be the cause? I'll be getting them chucked on when it goes in anwyay. Hoping to get it in the local garage shortly to swap power flow exhaust back to standard as it's too loud for me. I'll get the lads to check out all the bushes and see if they can see anything.

Trying to get it as straight as possible as it's got a few big trips this year doing the scotlabd nc500, le mans 24h and a 6000mile round trip round europe later on in the year!

It's the perfect car for a road trip, apart from the storage space haha
  • Kev5 likes this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21064 posts

POPULAR

It's the perfect car for a road trip, apart from the storage space haha

Plenty of room for luggage for a Euro trip. Just take what you need and no more. 

• Rosko, Wrangler and Steveti like this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Drop links tend to give themselves away with a knocking noise, I'd certainly be looking at wishbone bushes, anti roll bar mounting bushes  and as said try a one or two stud wheel rotation on the hub. Small incidental detail but for info tyre pressures are 29psi front and rear, obviously this would not influence and vibration/wobble through the steering. Almost forgot but check the steering rack itself out as well as well as the shock absorbers for wear and tear. What mileage is on the car?

As Roddy says careful packing and taking only  what you need and perhaps accounting for doing a laundry en -route and the NC is a brilliant car for long road trips. We did three weeks and the better part of 4k miles in France a few years ago. Vacuum bags can help reduce space taken up but truth be told we perhaps over packed for what was actually needed but still had room to pack a few odds and ends purchased while on holiday.

If you find the issue, please share, could well be useful for reference. :thumbsup:

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 4034 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

As for your wheel wobble I know there is wobble on the MK1 at around th 70 mph mark but you just drive through it to 75 mph and it is gone or you ease off a little . I have seen lots of posts concerning this and the many and varied solutions offered but none ever work completely ! If you take a MK1 NA stock as it came out of the factory it would have this . Then we start messing with them changing wheels and suspension adding body kits and the like . Poor thing does not stand a chance to run smooth ! I cannot speak for other models but I hear similar complaints .

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 4034 posts
  • LocationSomerset

I have  a Tow Ball hitch which I intend to hang a wheelchair on , Lord knows what effect that will have on the handling !!

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

As for your wheel wobble I know there is wobble on the MK1 at around th 70 mph mark but you just drive through it to 75 mph and it is gone or you ease off a little . I have seen lots of posts concerning this and the many and varied solutions offered but none ever work completely ! If you take a MK1 NA stock as it came out of the factory it would have this . Then we start messing with them changing wheels and suspension adding body kits and the like . Poor thing does not stand a chance to run smooth ! I cannot speak for other models but I hear similar complaints .

Definitely not normal for an NC Ross, as you know the GM is number 3 for me and I've never had a wobble or vibration other than when a wheel is out of balance.

• Roddy likes this

seaneylad

seaneylad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

POPULAR

Its around 92k milage wise at the moment..

Yeah I'll get it on the ramps and take get the lads take a good look at the all the bushes and see if they can see anything that doesn't look right.

May take a look at the carriers again on the front and make sure are still free after freeing the the fronts up.

The vacuum bag is a good idea, I'll add that to my list!

When I locate the issue I'll post it

Cheers
  • Steveti likes this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21064 posts

POPULAR

Definitely not normal for an NC Ross, as you know the GM is number 3 for me and I've never had a wobble or vibration other than when a wheel is out of balance.

In nearly 8 years, I have never had a wobble on my 2.5 either.

• Ali5 and Steveti like this

seaneylad

seaneylad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

POPULAR

Just drove it to work, wheel wobble wasn't as bad brake and it pulled abit to the left. I am thinking it maybe the carrier and slide pins, they were very seized and I have freed them off. I may look a them again and may fit new callipers on the front with new slide pins. Any recommendations for these parts if I do? I don't fancy original OEM prices haha. aftermarket ones looks okay for the price
  • Roddy likes this

seaneylad

seaneylad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
https://www.ebay.co....lgAAOSwHLNZUtfI

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 4034 posts
  • LocationSomerset

I would be a litttle wary myself buying something that important safety wise . I am a great fan of Ebay & Amazon and internet shopping in general , instead I would look at sites like Euro car parts or even David Payne who sells refurbished genuine Mazda parts . 

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21064 posts

Euro Carparts for sure. Always have sales and discounts on.

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Thought this may be some use re sliding pins:

https://www.mx5life....toring/page-606      Post  #12108

I didn't have any wobble from this issue but as per post it was noted as an advisory on the MOT test, the only thing I found on inspection/disassembly was that the caliper was understandably reluctant to release fully from the disc so in effect creating a slight binding of the brakes although it did seem to release perhaps some 30 seconds after application. New bottom pins resolved my issue. As I say it was not creating any discernible issue and definitely no wobble but cars being cars, you never know.

seaneylad

seaneylad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thought this may be some use re sliding pins:

https://www.mx5life....toring/page-606      Post  #12108

I didn't have any wobble from this issue but as per post it was noted as an advisory on the MOT test, the only thing I found on inspection/disassembly was that the caliper was understandably reluctant to release fully from the disc so in effect creating a slight binding of the brakes although it did seem to release perhaps some 30 seconds after application. New bottom pins resolved my issue. As I say it was not creating any discernible issue and definitely no wobble but cars being cars, you never know.

Thanks

I have ordered a new set for each side, so when I have another look and see if they are still free ill swap them out for new ones to rule it out.

Don't fancy buying new calipers or carriers if I don't have to. The more you read into issues the more ££ it costs when you start looking at shocks, them blisteins are not cheap hah.

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 12197 posts
  • LocationAlways in the doghouse

Current mood: Pensive

POPULAR

Never had any wobble / vibe issues at all on the RS Ross, to 100mph plus and steady as a rock all the way up and back again. If it wobbles or vibes there's definitely something wrong somewhere.

The problem with asking questions like the O.P has asked here, is that on forums / social media etc a proper diagnosis is impossible without actually seeing and driving the car - the problem could be one of a number of things, so any advice given without actually seeing it is purely based on conjecture at best - and certainly on Facebook groups downright bloody dangerous sometimes.  Some of the "advice " I've seen offered there makes my stomach turn.

My advice to anyone asking questions like this is always the same: ....If you don't know how to check it out yourself then take it to someone qualified who can, brakes and suspension aren't things to be dicked about with, either of them can kill you or someone else when they fail.

• Qu1ckn1ck, Roddy, Wrangler and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users