boxerdog1

boxerdog1

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3639 posts
  • LocationIllogan, West Cornwall.

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

As for your wheel wobble I know there is wobble on the MK1 at around th 70 mph mark but you just drive through it to 75 mph and it is gone or you ease off a little . I have seen lots of posts concerning this and the many and varied solutions offered but none ever work completely ! If you take a MK1 NA stock as it came out of the factory it would have this . Then we start messing with them changing wheels and suspension adding body kits and the like . Poor thing does not stand a chance to run smooth ! I cannot speak for other models but I hear similar complaints .

Never had any wobble / vibe issues at all on the RS Ross, to 100mph plus and steady as a rock all the way up and back again. If it wobbles or vibes there's definitely something wrong somewhere.

The problem with asking questions like the O.P has asked here, is that on forums / social media etc a proper diagnosis is impossible without actually seeing and driving the car - the problem could be one of a number of things, so any advice given without actually seeing it is purely based on conjecture at best - and certainly on Facebook groups downright bloody dangerous sometimes.  Some of the "advice " I've seen offered there makes my stomach turn.

My advice to anyone asking questions like this is always the same: ....If you don't know how to check it out yourself then take it to someone qualified who can, brakes and suspension aren't things to be dicked about with, either of them can kill you or someone else when they fail.

Second all of that . My Mk1 Le was smooth as silk all the way to legal limit (I would say that) and back too .   Bit rough on the ears mind you  :) 

• Steveti likes this

seaneylad

seaneylad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

POPULAR

Seems to be better today maybe because I have used the car/brakes! I don't normally use the mx5 as I have a daily run around. I have still ordered new slide pins, boots and grease kit. Ill swap them out so I have a fresh set in! So I am hoping that was the issue and with new slide pins ill report back to see if its resolved totally :)
  • Ali5 likes this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5236 posts

Current mood: Angelic

On my previous NC when the caliper was not releasing promptly ( piston sticking , sliding pins absolutely fine ) the alloy wheel was noticeable warmer on that side, also I believe for some reason it's the front offside usually that goes first.

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 12197 posts
  • LocationAlways in the doghouse

Current mood: Pensive

POPULAR

As for your wheel wobble I know there is wobble on the MK1 at around th 70 mph mark but you just drive through it to 75 mph and it is gone or you ease off a little . I have seen lots of posts concerning this and the many and varied solutions offered but none ever work completely ! If you take a MK1 NA stock as it came out of the factory it would have this . Then we start messing with them changing wheels and suspension adding body kits and the like . Poor thing does not stand a chance to run smooth ! I cannot speak for other models but I hear similar complaints .

Never had any wobble / vibe issues at all on the RS Ross, to 100mph plus and steady as a rock all the way up and back again. If it wobbles or vibes there's definitely something wrong somewhere.

The problem with asking questions like the O.P has asked here, is that on forums / social media etc a proper diagnosis is impossible without actually seeing and driving the car - the problem could be one of a number of things, so any advice given without actually seeing it is purely based on conjecture at best - and certainly on Facebook groups downright bloody dangerous sometimes.  Some of the "advice " I've seen offered there makes my stomach turn.

My advice to anyone asking questions like this is always the same: ....If you don't know how to check it out yourself then take it to someone qualified who can, brakes and suspension aren't things to be dicked about with, either of them can kill you or someone else when they fail.

Second all of that . My Mk1 Le was smooth as silk all the way to legal limit (I would say that) and back too .   Bit rough on the ears mind you  :) 

I did of course try mine on a German autobahn, Jim    :nod: 

• boxerdog1 likes this

seaneylad

seaneylad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Reviving this old post lol

Still got the damn wheel wobble, so annoying!  :hot: 

Seems to have it at slow speeds now, like the car can feel every little thing on the road! havent had chance to look or drive it with all this lock down,

I have done new tyres, re balance, 4 wheel alignment (what a rip off haha) Driving me mad  :frantic: 

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15981 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Reviving this old post lol

Still got the damn wheel wobble, so annoying!  :hot: 

Seems to have it at slow speeds now, like the car can feel every little thing on the road! havent had chance to look or drive it with all this lock down,

I have done new tyres, re balance, 4 wheel alignment (what a rip off haha) Driving me mad  :frantic: 

Good morning, Seaneylad.

Let me reiterate all that has been said above and add that no modern production vehicle should have wheel wobble. It is dangerous and will affect the handling, stability and road-holding of the car. The fact that it is wobbling at low speed as well indicates to me that one or more of the wheels are buckled or damaged in some way, or that there are serious steering and/or suspension issues.

You MUST get the vehicle thoroughly inspected by a professional mechanic who knows what he's doing before something lets go in a big way.

Your safety and the safety of others may be at stake.

• badman and Steveti like this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5236 posts

Current mood: Angelic

POPULAR

If it's been stood on the same section of tyre for weeks the tyres may have become mishaped. It is possible to test for wheel wobble which a basic wheel balance may miss, in this case they apply a roller to the wheel whilst on the balancing machine to measure any tyre run out etc - road force balancing.

• Kev5 and Steveti like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

I can only reiterate what Kev and Steve have said, no modern vehicle should have such a wobble and is indicative of there being something potentially serious amiss.

As for a 4 wheel alignment being a rip off, well, that's subjective of course and depends on what you paid to have it done but trust me on this, in 16 years of MX5 ownership I know they are a car that is sensitive to the suspension geo being out of spec and the difference between in spec and out of spec is the difference between a fantastically neutral car to drive - even with over 250bhp on tap and a car that can be extremely wayward or just plain dull in the handling department.

Anyway, I think your priority should be to get to the bottom of the wobble before the wheels fall off - potentially literally.

Keep us posted and I hope you find the source of this, I can imagine it must be doing your head in.

• Kev5 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users