What’s the worst weather you have driven in with the roof off? - MX5 & General Car Chat - mx5life.com

Photo

What’s the worst weather you have driven in with the roof off?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 10046 posts

Current mood: Vegged Out

POPULAR

So I saw this earlier. Apologies those not on Facebook
https://www.facebook...042881070/?vh=e

And it got me thinking. What’s the worst weather you’ve driven in? I’ve done snow on the ground roof off and snow piled up higher than the car with roof off, but usually when it’s falling from the sky I stop and put the roof off to stop my car getting slushy. I usually then get him back to the garage quickly!! These days I avoid taking him out if it looks like snow, mainly as crutches and snow aren’t a good mix.

My two worst journeys were hail. One was huge hail stones so we put our foot down and tried to outrun it. It was fast and I was screaming as they hurt. A couple of miles up the road ahead of the front and we had to bail our cars out (3 of us in convoy). We were scooping handfuls of the stones from the seats and foot wells. It was very cold! In a similar way, on another occasion, I was once on a slower convoy, 12ish cars through a pretty village. It started to hail and there was no where to pull over and the cars in front had no sense of urgency! That was not nice. Eventually I managed to hop out to get The roof up and jumped back in again, but it was coming in bucketfuls through the top gap as I was trying to do up the clips.

I also removed a scenic trip to Swansea involving many rivers crossing the roads. I was following 3 mk3s and hoping if they could pass without cutting out so could I. I was very scared indeed!

What has been the worst weather you have driven in? Were you still topless?
  • Jono, Pat, Kev5 and 1 other like this

Wrangler

Wrangler

Token Yank

• Premium Member
  • 19394 posts
  • LocationRenville, Minnesota

Current mood: Mellow

POPULAR

The worst weather I have been in was before I owned the Mazda, I was in my Jeep Wrangler with the top down, and it started to hail, only 1/4” hail, but before it was over there was about 3” on the roadways. It made for very treacherous driving. On a later trip west, we got caught in another hail storm that produced 4 1/2” hail stones. The body shop had to replace the entire front clip on the poor old Jeep. The bonnet was pushed down about 3” from. All of the impact. Driving in snow is a normal occurrence, though I usually take the Nissan if it is greater than 6” deep. 

• Ali5, Pat, Kev5 and 1 other like this

bill119

bill119

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9610 posts
  • LocationChessy

Current mood: Cynical

POPULAR

As I always check the weather reports before setting off , the worst weather I've been out in is drizzle and scorching sun.

Well you did ask.  :giggle:

• Ali5, Pat, Kev5 and 2 others like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 33410 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

I have owned several cars with no weather equipment fitted so probably acutely sunburnt ears has been my biggest weather related problem:

47227872_1919836971462339_74074685012852

Hovis

Hovis

Master cat herder

• Premium Member
  • 4715 posts
  • LocationSwinedon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Ohh Ali, are you missing out.  If I get chance, I go out in falling snow, roof down, especially at night.  It's just like this:-

light jump.jpg

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 10046 posts

POPULAR

Ohh Ali, are you missing out. If I get chance, I go out in falling snow, roof down, especially at night. It's just like this:-

light jump.jpg

I always think that when driving in snow :)
  • Pat likes this

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 10046 posts

POPULAR

I have owned several cars with no weather equipment fitted so probably acutely sunburnt ears has been my biggest weather related problem:

47227872_1919836971462339_74074685012852

Now I did have a completely folded away sunroof on one of my older cars and I did have that open one day when the m-11 came to a grinding halt. There was no air con and it’s a 4 hour journey at best. On this occasion it was closer to 6 hours and the suncream was in the boot, I’d set off early and didn’t seem to need it then. I got very, very, very sunburnt across my shoulders (wearing some sort of strappy top) and a weird semi circle either side of my neck. Of course the stripe across my right also matches the seat belt! Didn’t feel it at the time, but my goodness I didn’t half in the following days.
  • Pat, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 2 others like this

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 12105 posts
  • LocationAlways in the doghouse

Current mood: Pensive

POPULAR

Probably in Europe in 2006 during an intense 3 week heatwave - it was soooo hot and humid I could wring my T shirt out when we arrived at our hotels every night, and we got really sunburned.  The weather broke as we headed home via the Black Forest, we were about 10 miles from our hotel at Lake Schluchsee when the heavens opened to welcome a torrential downpour which lasted 'til the following morning,  the inside of the car got soaked in the few seconds it took to get the top up.   The crossing back to Dover was rough as chuff as well, the car was white with dried salt spray when we got home.   

Etb-En-route-to-Lucerne.jpg

Gh-Waiting-for-Ferry-at-Calais.jpg

[]Gj-Eunos-on-Ferry.jpg

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15740 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

That was Chamonix, Dave  :thumbsup:  - I recognise that backdrop from the days when I travelled around Europe and got paid for it (well, sort of!) 

Magic times they were, looking back  :)

• Hovis, Pat and Dewi RS like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8274 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

Probably June 2015, while up't Lakes, infact just after this picture was taken.  :frantic:

DSC_0182 (2).jpg

We were in the Graphite at the time, and met one hell of a downpour at about 50 mph, which wasn't bad, until we had to drop down to 30mph!

I found a place to pull over, but that 12 seconds seemed like a lifetime!

badman

badman

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 27622 posts
  • LocationBaddly Manor

Current mood: Worried

POPULAR

Probably June 2015, while up't Lakes, infact just after this picture was taken.  :frantic:

attachicon.gifDSC_0182 (2).jpg

We were in the Graphite at the time, and met one hell of a downpour at about 50 mph, which wasn't bad, until we had to drop down to 30mph!
I found a place to pull over, but that 12 seconds seemed like a lifetime!

The downfall of a power roof ,Chris!
Oh the joy of a softop. 4 seconds at the most. :giggle:
  • Pat and Garffey like this

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 12105 posts
  • LocationAlways in the doghouse

Current mood: Pensive

POPULAR

That was Chamonix, Dave  :thumbsup:  - I recognise that backdrop from the days when I travelled around Europe and got paid for it (well, sort of!) 

Magic times they were, looking back  :)

Spot on Kev, about 5 miles or so out as I recall on the way to our next overnight stop - either at Annecy or Thiers, can't remember. :)

• Kev5 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users