16 replies to this topic

mccubbinrob

mccubbinrob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

POPULAR

Good Morning all, 

just joined the group. I live in Biggar in South Lanarkshire and am on my fifth MX5. I’ve had a Mk1, 2 Mk 2.5’s, 2 Mk 3’s and presently have a Mk4 sport Nav. My favourite driver was the Mk2. I’m enjoying the MK 4 but let’s just say I’ve had a few issues with it ! 

Rob 

Attached Thumbnails

• D80B3793-0D33-4278-A1BB-67F882CF3699.jpeg
  • 3B3005F6-EC95-4409-BAFE-E4C7791E42A9.jpeg

• Ali5, Mark, MJL and 7 others like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20847 posts

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

Hi Rob, nice to meet you. Another Scotsman for the clan. Nice ND, but read on and see about issues. You are not alone. 

• Steveti, Garffey and mccubbinrob like this

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11248 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Current mood: Happy

POPULAR

Welcome, Rob. :wave:

I can tell you will fit in well!

There are some ND owners here who would love to share their experience. :thumbsup:

• Steveti and mccubbinrob like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 33912 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

Hi and welcome Rob.  I also have an ND but with less than 1000 miles on the clock and now becoming concerned about the increasing list of faults drivers are finding. 

Having also had a Mk3 and two Mk2.5s my favourite remains my old Mk2.5 Arctic by far.

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3975 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

POPULAR

Hi Rob , welcome to Life , you will like it here . You have had a few ' 5's thats for sure !   :D

mccubbinrob

mccubbinrob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

POPULAR

My ND has been challenging to say the least. I bought it as a pre reg with 20 miles on it but saved about 6 grand from list. A bargain I thought ! The roof started rubbing from day one, went in for the repair, the dealer had it 4 days. I was shocked to see how much of the interior they had to strip out, it’s not good on a new car is it. They broke the seatbelt as well. So I get the car back and the radio doesn’t work, called the dealer was told I wasn’t working it properly ! Took it back and the mechanic had forgotten to refit a multi plug, part of the interior stripped out again ! I told the mechanic it was a good job he wasn't working on a space shuttle or an airliner, he wasn’t impressed.

Next issue was the passenger seat, the car has the biscuit coloured leather and part of the cushion is wrinkled and getting worse. The Mazda solution is to ‘iron it out’. 18 months on I’m still trying to get it fixed. 

Then we had the rusty window repaired, I’ve had new back lights fitted, the petrol cap rattles to the point it’s an embarrassment and I’m really shocked at the quality of the paint. 

It goes in for its 24 month service next week with 10500 miles with a different dealer as I’ve recently moved back to a Scotland after 20 odd years in England. The dealer in a England wasn’t great when it came to chasing Mazda so I’m hoping I will see an improvement. 

I’m also a member of a couple of Facebook MX5 groups and recently I’ve been reading about Les Allans (another new member) issue with his rear suspension which is the next big issue. 

I love my MX5 and I bought this as a keeper but I think it’s either going to fall to bits or end up a money pit. I was recently in the dealers and was gobsmacked to see brand new 5’s in the showroom with the hood rubbing on the hoops. I think that speaks volumes on Mazdas attitude. I am actually seriously considering going back to an NC. 

rant over, looking forward to being an active member of the group. 

Rob 

• Qu1ckn1ck, boxerdog1, Steveti and 1 other like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3975 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

I have been tempted to change models , I have a 1989 Eunos called Nan . Look on the forum !  Tempting as they are I see a lot of problems crop up which are never really addressed by the dealers . Now a MK1 you can fix with a hammer more or less and not worry about a wee scratch or two . I do hope your local dealer cares a little more than the last one .

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 37743 posts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

Hi Rob a very warm welcome to 'life'  :wave:

So sorry to hear you have had so many faults with your ND

you would have thought the long time we had to wait for the ND to appear

that Mazda would have ironed any problems out !! 

We are a very friendly, knowledgeable and sometimes crazy bunch of 5ers

any questions just ask 

Enjoy  :D

• Rosko, Steveti and mccubbinrob like this

Wrangler

Wrangler

Token Yank

• Premium Member
  • 19585 posts
  • LocationRenville, Minnesota

Current mood: Mellow

POPULAR

I decided early on that I would not be trading my MK3 for a MK4, now with issues cropping, and the fact that I replaced dampers, drop links, and got a precision wheel alignment, it drive the best that it ever has and I will be keeping it. By the way, greetings from across the pond. 

• mccubbinrob likes this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8823 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

I decided early on that I would not be trading my MK3 for a MK4, now with issues cropping, and the fact that I replaced dampers, drop links, and got a precision wheel alignment, it drive the best that it ever has and I will be keeping it. By the way, greetings from across the pond. 

Same here, my NC is a keeper but in truth it was always going to be given the time cash and effort put into getting it where I want it. Looking at all of the many issues that keep cropping up with the ND, it's a definite pass. Have had 1 x NB and the GM is my third NC, when sorted properly they take some beating  - my opinion of course ;)

• mccubbinrob likes this

Mark

Mark

Having fun topdown in my MX5

• Administrators
  • 11357 posts

Current mood: Thinking

POPULAR

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum :)

• mccubbinrob likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8389 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Fine

Hi Rob.... :wave:

Welcome to the 'Life' madhouse....Sorry to hear about your issues, and as a Mk4 owner myself won't lie if I say it spoils the experience of what to me is the best Mx-5 so far,

and yes I've had one of almost every model!

I haven't had anything like the issues some have, but at the last service was forewarned by the dealer of play in the Hub bushes.

Not sure I'll still have it in six months or 12 months, but we'll see, it's only just got over 19,000 on the clock.

Anyway hope you have better news later...

Enjoy

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 10227 posts

Current mood: Lonely

POPULAR

Welcome, Rob. Oh no, not another set of mk4 problems :(
That’s an impressive set of previous motors!
  • mccubbinrob likes this

badman

badman

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 27805 posts
  • LocationBaddly Manor

Current mood: Worried

POPULAR

Welcome to Life, Rob. :wave:
You should know your way around a 5 by now. I've a mk4 but for how much longer I'm not certain. :(
Far too many problems cropping up.

Anyway, enjoy the knowledge and banter on Life and if there isn't anything you can't fix ;) just post the question on here. :)
Has anyone mentioned we love pics on here?
  • Steveti likes this

mccubbinrob

mccubbinrob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

POPULAR

Thanks, yes I’m the same, not sure if I will stick with the Mk4. I’m tempted to go back to a 3.5. The 2 I had were bulletproof, in total I had mk 3.5’s  about 7 years and the only thing that went wrong was a starter motor repaired under warranty. The Mk 4 goes in for its 24 month service on Friday that will be interesting. 

• badman and Steveti like this

boxerdog1

boxerdog1

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3622 posts
  • LocationIllogan, West Cornwall.

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

Welcome to the Forum Rob from a fellow Scot living in Cornwall who doesn't have a Mazda (anymore)  :)

• badman and Steveti like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15855 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Hello, Rob and welcome to mx5life.com :-) I too have an ND and it has been a nightmare, if I'm honest. Trawl through the various threads re this model and you'll find many tales of woe, most of them from me sadly. A great shame because the Mk4 mx5 has the potential to be a really great machine.
  • badman, Steveti and mccubbinrob like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users