• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Pancho

Pancho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Folks,

My TPMS warning light came on recently so I checked the pressures of all 4 tyres and they are correct. So I thought I'll reset the TPMS, however, there is no mention of it in the handbook, although I suppose I might have missed it.

I googled and found a YouTube dealing with how to reset the TPMS but it was on some Mazda vehicle that was not an MX5 and it involved pressing a very obviously labelled switch which I don't appear to have.

Has anyone had experience of doing this and if so what do I need to do?

Thanks for any help rendered.

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 33912 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

Mazda have fitted various TPMS systems, my son's Mazda 2 is different to my ND, he only has to bring his tyres up to correct pressure, usually only by a pound or two, and drive for 10 minutes and they reset.

Page 4-53 of my ND handbook refers to resetting radio sensing TPMS after tyre changes, etc:-

After tires have been changed, switch the ignition ON then back to ACC or OFF .

Wait 15 mins

After about 15 mins drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 16 mph for 10 minutes and the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.. 

The handbook lists a lot of possible ways that a malfunction of the radio sensing may occur which they say should be referred to an authorised Mazda Dealer.

badman

badman

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 27805 posts
  • LocationBaddly Manor

Current mood: Worried

POPULAR

I had that recently and just pressed the TPMS button and it reset.

Yet another of the Mk4 foibles they throw at you now and again to remind you it is a Mazda youre driving.

The switch is next to the DSC control button just to the lower right of the steering wheel..
  • Garffey likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8389 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

I had that recently and just pressed the TPMS button and it reset.

Yup....did it my ND the other day, found a garage blew tyres up, pressed button and hey presto....always put 2.0 bar in as opposed to 29 psi, seems to prefer that, and the warning doesn't come on as often.

• badman likes this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

Current mood: Angelic

POPULAR

Hi Folks,

My TPMS warning light came on recently so I checked the pressures of all 4 tyres and they are correct. So I thought I'll reset the TPMS, however, there is no mention of it in the handbook, although I suppose I might have missed it.

I googled and found a YouTube dealing with how to reset the TPMS but it was on some Mazda vehicle that was not an MX5 and it involved pressing a very obviously labelled switch which I don't appear to have.

Has anyone had experience of doing this and if so what do I need to do?

Thanks for any help rendered.

You have the only version of the NC fitted with TPMS.  

• Paulo likes this

Mark

Mark

Having fun topdown in my MX5

• Administrators
  • 11357 posts

Current mood: Thinking

POPULAR

There is no reset button in the 25th Anniversary - I presume you have to do something similar to the procedure Qu1ckn1ck has outlined above for his ND :unsure:

Interestingly, while the earlier NDs had a reset button, this is something that Mazda have done away with on later models, no idea why

• Qu1ckn1ck likes this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

• Premium Member
  • 33912 posts

There is no reset button in the 25th Anniversary - I presume you have to do something similar to the procedure Qu1ckn1ck has outlined above for his ND :unsure:

Interestingly, while the earlier NDs had a reset button, this is something that Mazda have done away with on later models, no idea why

Neither my son's 2014 Mazda 2 nor my 2019 MX5 ND have TPMS reset buttons but I have radio transmitting sensors in the tyre valves of the ND but my son's Mazda 2 does not !

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

POPULAR

Different technologies Nick just to confuse further, one looks at the difference in actual tyre pressures and the other at the difference in wheel rotation speeds across the axle

• Qu1ckn1ck and Paulo like this

Pancho

Pancho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks All for your responses ..... however I'm left just as confused .... all I know is that:

• the warning light comes on as soon as I turn on the ignition,
  • sometimes it beeps at me - not always,
  • I've made sure the tyre pressures are 29psi (might try 2 bar in future see if that stops it),
  • searched for a TPMS reset button with no success (I've got a 25th Anniversary mark 3)
  • and it's still on.

From what Steveh says, if it is using a system that monitors the difference in wheel rotation for wheels on the same axis and the tyres have the same pressure then maybe there is something more serious at fault.

Seems to me I'll have to refer to a dealer come servicing time.

PS: having said that I can only assume that a system that monitors the difference in wheel rotation also takes into account differential gearing.

Edited by Pancho, 13 March 2020 - 11:10 AM.

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

• Premium Member
  • 33912 posts

My son's TPMS comes on when the car is left overnight and there is a frost.  Despite tyre pressure readings showing as correct, he has to put an extra 1 psi into each tyre and then drive for ten minutes and the light goes out until the next hard frost !

If this does not work for your MX5 I guess an early trip to a friendly Mazda Dealer is required.  Despite universal criticism of Dealers, ours is very good and if only a quick check and reset is required will probably do it FOC for a regular customer. 

badman

badman

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 27805 posts
  • LocationBaddly Manor

Current mood: Worried
FOC, Nick? I've got an active bonnet warning light flashing and dealer wants £135 +vat to put it on diagnostic machine. :nah:

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

I think Pancho I may have misled you somewhere, you have a direct measurement with the tyre measurement sensor. As far as I'm aware if there's no reset button visible on the dash the method is as follows.

• Adjust the tire inflation pressure recommended on the tire placard located on the door panel.
  • Turn ignition to ON, then to OFF and wait for 15 minutes
  • Driving for a few miles (kilometers), calibration will complete after 10 minutes of cumulative driving at least 25 km/h (16 mph), and then verify that it turns off.
  • Sensor IDs will then register.

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15855 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

I have probably mentioned this before, but with all the chaos around me at present my memory is broken. Anyway, the TPMS on my early ND is a pathological liar!! The damn thing comes on for no reason, especially after a frost, yet when I had a rear tyre punctured it did NOTHING!!!It allowed me to continue driving on a soft tyre, unknowingly, until the tyre was shredded! There is clearly no point in this completely useless item and I wish I knew how to delete it.
  • badman and Qu1ckn1ck like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15855 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

I think Pancho I may have misled you somewhere, you have a direct measurement with the tyre measurement sensor. As far as I'm aware if there's no reset button visible on the dash the method is as follows.

• Adjust the tire inflation pressure recommended on the tire placard located on the door panel.
  • Driving for a few miles (kilometers), calibration will complete after 10 minutes of cumulative driving at least 25 km/h (16 mph), and then verify that it turns off.

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15855 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

• Driving for a few miles (kilometers), calibration will complete after 10 minutes of cumulative driving at least 25 km/h (16 mph), and then verify that it turns off.

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15855 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Really, Steve? That sounds like a real faff!

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15855 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

PS: sorry about the double post -I blame my thick phone!

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

POPULAR

I do wonder on the Mk3.75 Anniversary edition whether you could get rid of it completely (without annoying the MOT testers)  as it's the same vintage as mine. I don't have it, thank goodness. I'm sure there must be ways of disabling the dash light perhaps if your thinking of the BBR 200 bring it up in the conversation with [email protected] GTi.

• Paulo likes this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

POPULAR

Really, Steve? That sounds like a real faff!

Probably why you've got a reset on more technically correct an 'initialise' button on the ND, which presumably if all the sensors are working clears the light after a period of driving. However I suspect with either method if you 'initialise' with unequal tyre pressures it will still be happy as it's the subsequent change in a tyre pressure that the system detects once initialised.

• Kev5 likes this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

• Premium Member
  • 33912 posts

POPULAR

FOC, Nick? I've got an active bonnet warning light flashing and dealer wants £135 +vat to put it on diagnostic machine. :nah:

Bring it to Norton Way Mazda at Letchworth and mention my name .......  :D

• badman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users