14 replies to this topic

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

Current mood: Angelic

POPULAR

I may have bought a secondhand van, well the deposit was paid a few weeks ago. In many ways we're very committed to the purchase although in the current climate I hope we can use it, I just don't fancy a long weekend at the storage compound. It's got all the home essentials for two people i.e shower toilet etc , so all we need is somewhere to park it, an electric hook up would be nice but not essential.

It's coachbuilt on a Fiat chassis by the german company Knaus - SunTi 650MEG  6.99 metres long and fully loaded weighs 3850kg. My wife seems and is very happy to drive it, I think she very nearly managed a 4 wheel drift on the test drive.

Plan is to collect it next week, I've been busy with the practicalities- insurance , breakdown cover, storage , additional security etc.

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-29 at 13.02.08.jpeg

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20847 posts

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

Yay, join the club. Have a look at the site park4night. That gives thousands of safe spots to overnight free. Britstops is less that £30 per annum, and lists pubs, farm shops, vineyards and other such places where you can park free, but purchase a meal or something or other from them. I was really looking forward to a French trip, but looks like that is snookered. If Eurotunnel tickets are transferrable, I shall rebook a shorter trip when this nonsense blows over.

• Pat, steveh, Steveti and 1 other like this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

Thanks Roddy useful information.

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20847 posts

POPULAR

ukcampsite.co.uk  can give you some useful information for a forum. There are some on there that need so much in their vans that they might as well stay at home. There is a Facebook page with sites for under £16 a night, or £20 with EHU.  https://www.facebook...28425998539674/  New group so not much there yet. Get the height measured too. You have to watch some of the barriers. It's no good taking a chance!

You don't need to stay home to self isolate. 

• steveh likes this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 33912 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

Can I borrow your van to go to Tesco ?     ;)

• Roddy, steveh, Dewi RS and 1 other like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3975 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

POPULAR

That is smashing ,I like that . We would like one , one day and that is a good size . Not like the huge ones you see on the roads which could not get down the country lanes .

• Steveti likes this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 20847 posts

POPULAR

Can I borrow your van to go to Tesco ?     ;)

Just been to Tesco in mine. 5 metres long mine is which is OK in car parks. No power steering though, but O have driven 7 and a half tonners with no power steerig. £600 would put an electric verion onto it. About £150 if I bought the parts. Maybe sometime.

• steveh likes this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 37743 posts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

Very nice Steve  :thumbsup:

• steveh likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8389 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

POPULAR

Congrats Steve....a nice 'van' I'd admit like many others I'd love something like that too!  :nod:

Guess you could quite easily 'self-isolate' in that!  :nod:  :giggle:

• steveh likes this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

ukcampsite.co.uk  can give you some useful information for a forum. There are some on there that need so much in their vans that they might as well stay at home. There is a Facebook page with sites for under £16 a night, or £20 with EHU.  https://www.facebook...28425998539674/  New group so not much there yet. Get the height measured too. You have to watch some of the barriers. It's no good taking a chance!

You don't need to stay home to self isolate. 

Thanks again Roddy.  It's 2.94 metres high, slightly higher than the usual low profile vans as it's got a double floor. We've still got the issue of an alarm to solve which was working when we put the deposit down but apparently now has a fault, hopefully there will be some resolution , otherwise we'll walk away. I know alarms are largely useless (I've not stated it exists on the insurance policy) but it's presence and the fact that it worked  were part of the decision to buy and the price agreed.

Certainly a more interesting method of self isolation if sites remain open, this I do worry about as the owners have a duty of care for staff etc.

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8823 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

It looks very similar to the Fiat based motorhome that my Brother and his Ex used to visit us and go on to tour a fair bit of Scotland in a few years back, I think it was even reasonable on the fuel, DIESEL so around the 30 mpg mark, not bad considering the load it was lugging and the roads travelled.

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

POPULAR

Most of the European coach built Motorhomes these days are based on the Fiat chassis, the engine then varies according to badge i.e Peugeot etc.  I think Steve it should get mid to late 20s at worst, as you say 30 and plus should be possible on a multipe carriageway and we carry essentials only. The latter will require some testing out.

The next question then will be what to do about the 5 , my wife's retiring but still plans to do the odd bit, her car will become more available for my use. If we go ahead and use the motorhome I can see the 5 getting even less use, it's not really a car I'd wish to tow, rwd and low. There's a logic that says I should probably get a small 'city' car instead so it can be towed.  Not a decision to be made yet I can sit on the fence I think until Autumn

• badman, Steveti and Garffey like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15855 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Most of the European coach built Motorhomes these days are based on the Fiat chassis, the engine then varies according to badge i.e Peugeot etc.  I think Steve it should get mid to late 20s at worst, as you say 30 and plus should be possible on a multipe carriageway and we carry essentials only. The latter will require some testing out.

The next question then will be what to do about the 5 , my wife's retiring but still plans to do the odd bit, her car will become more available for my use. If we go ahead and use the motorhome I can see the 5 getting even less use, it's not really a car I'd wish to tow, rwd and low. There's a logic that says I should probably get a small 'city' car instead so it can be towed.  Not a decision to be made yet I can sit on the fence I think until Autumn

You could keep the '5 and get a car trailer...just a thought.

• steveh likes this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

POPULAR

I doubt I’d take my 5 Kev even with a trailer, it’s not really a nip to the shops car, we’ve got two electric bikes which will fit in the garage at the back of the Motorhome. The 5 will remain for awhile it’s never made sense financially, it’s just a toy to me with which I enjoy playing with.

The garage is 1.2m x 0.8 so plenty of room for two bikes, in fact you can get a little scooter in there. Something like a Suzuki Address would fit in the garage but I'd probably get killed by some idiot driving a motorhome.

I was going to post a picture of the garage but the forum software keeps turning it right, so I'd better link to it.

aWM7vNG.jpg

You can see an alarm sensor on the right side of the door 2/3rds of the way up, a pole for the awning, two bike rails, storage space. The gas bottle locker is just inside on the right.

• Kev5, badman, Steveti and 1 other like this

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 12150 posts
  • LocationAlways in the doghouse

Current mood: Pensive

POPULAR

Looks very nice does that Steve, Miss has always fancied one - maybe one day.

• steveh likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users