rheon

rheon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationManchester

POPULAR

Hi Folks,

I've recently updated my cars ICE with an Android/ Wireless Car Play head unit DMX8019DABS. I can heartily recommend it. Key features of the head unit and the install for me were:

USB ports:

The USB ports deliver 1.5 Amps charge per port, so your phone(s) batteries don’t start running out of power when streaming and navigating.

I purchased this and lost the ciggy lighter to keep the install tidy.

The upper one is for Android phones as there’s no Wi-Fi option for Android Auto yet. The head unit does have an option for HDMI to push your phone to the screen for you tube etc. but I thought that was a bit much and took the extra USB port instead.

DAB radio:

I love to listen to absolute radio and Bluetooth connect to a car transmitter similar to this (much cheaper option if you want to get audio from your phone into your car), tuned my radio to 108 and then removed the car aerial to reduce interference. With DAB included there’s no data penalty for listening to DAB now. The unit includes a DAB aerial

Screen:

With two types of screens available capacitive or resistive. I plumbed for the capacitive option. It’s very fast and smooth with great colours. There’s a great little guide here to change the boot screen on the unit. It can be a little tricky to get the image to Kenwood spec so if anyone ever wants to do it let me know and I’ll help.

Sound:

A nice surprise for me the, the improvement is massive without any speaker changes etc. I’m no audiophile but the improvement was obvious immediately

Hands-Free:

The steering wheel controls work perfectly, and the mic picks up my calls of “Hey Siri” without issue. I’m told that when I call people can’t tell I’m not just making a normal call (with the roof up).

GPS:

The unit comes with a separate GPS unit making the accuracy much better

Buttons:

I wanted physical buttons, and I wanted them the same colour as the rest of the lighting in the car. The head unit has a colour pallet so matching the car wasn’t too much effort. I also wanted an easily locatable button to invoke Siri with ease

Rear camera & guidelines:

I didn’t have the rear camera fitted as they wanted £200 for that so I thought I’d do that myself. The shop that fitted it dropped the cable behind the glove box for me so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue. The guides are adjustable, and they advised the guidelines should fit the narrowness of the car perfectly, though a couple of traffic cones would be required to calibrate.

Attached Thumbnails

• Home Screen.JPEG
  • USB ports.JPEG
  • USB cover.JPEG
  • Colours.JPEG
  • Mazda new Logo reflections.png

Edited by rheon, 20 March 2020 - 08:39 PM.

• Ali5, Mark, Pat and 2 others like this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5210 posts

Current mood: Angelic

POPULAR

What was the base radio, often thought about something more modern but not sure how it works out with the Bose system I have, as I believe I have a separate amp behind me. 

• Ali5 likes this

rheon

rheon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationManchester

POPULAR

What was the base radio, often thought about something more modern but not sure how it works out with the Bose system I have, as I believe I have a separate amp behind me.

I believe with the Bose it’s simply an extra loom fitting circa £10 and no extra work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Ali5 and steveh like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 3975 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

POPULAR

I fitted something similar into my E51 Elgrand Van As a Japanese import it has all the toys but everything is geared up to work on Japanese formats . Even the Clock only tells the time in Tokyo it is linked to a Jap Sattelite . The one I fitted has a built in GPS and USB music thingy but cannot play CD's which I miss having such a large collection of them . I have decided to keep my Sony Headunit in my 5 as I can operate it by button control rather than scrolling down a screen which I find takes my eyes off the road . And I canplay my beloved CD's !!

• badman likes this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8823 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

I believe with the Bose it’s simply an extra loom fitting circa £10 and no extra work

Does that mean that the head unit uses the Bose amp? I ask due to the Bose speakers being 2 ohm rather than the pretty much 4 ohm standard for car ICE.

rheon

rheon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationManchester

Does that mean that the head unit uses the Bose amp? I ask due to the Bose speakers being 2 ohm rather than the pretty much 4 ohm standard for car ICE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rheon

rheon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationManchester

POPULAR

here’s where I found most of my info when I was looking into it. It appears that Bose systems were well documented but non Bose were not:
https://www.crutchfi...mx-5-miata.html

• Steveti likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users