dashboard illumination issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

b & w

b & w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi there, when refitting my center console the wiring of the ashtray lighter (which my garagist used as a source for the added clocks illumination) came loose and ...short circuited.

I've been looking for the right fuse and replaced it but the fuse itself did not blow as it was bypassed with some wiring, glad i discovered this, must be the previous owner.

Now after the fuse has been replaced nothing (from that circuit) works....is it possible that there's more damage?

If my info is correct that circuit would cover; dash, hvac, switches and cigarette lighter illumination also taillight and position light in the front. Correct?

I cheked the bulbs on the front, one was burned (replaced it) , one not so .... is there more going on? are all my bulbs gone, (don't think so as that one position light bulb was intact).

I don't have a multitester.

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 4034 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

POPULAR

I think you need a £10 meter to check the source or lack of it !  When I first got Nan I like all of us with a older car want to add the shiny things etc but then we come up against the work of the' I want to be an electrician one day '  the wiring is horrific , I took my radio and tombstone cover off and it was like being attacked by a giant Squid  !! It took ages to force this lot back into the orifice it had sprung from  .It was at this point I decided to call for help and enlisted the help of a professional electrician all but for free by putting a call out on various of the '5' pages for help . It cost me 2 bottles of wine but this chap a RAF Electrician stripped it all out , tagged each wire and put it back together in about an hour .

• badman likes this

b & w

b & w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

POPULAR

Thx,

I have no meter and beside that .....i'm a crappy electricain/mecanician (and that's an undersatement....) on the Miata forum i found that a relay might be the problem.

But...in my case there was an "overload" so i'm not sure if that Miata forum's case is similar ; if the relay broke down with the consequence of non lightning.Can a relay fail due to a short-circuit/overload? If yes that might be the explanation, if no....well, poor me. 

Could it be that ALL my bulbs are grilled because of this (or a gone fuse) ? as i mentioned i cheked the position light-bulbs at the front and one was fine, other one gone (was maybe already...).

Also found that this  circuit should have been protected by a 15 amp fuse instead of a 10 amp fitted to my car....

Can't bring it to the garage now (Corona) but my motivation is to solve it myself, i have time enough and might learn something from it. 

Edited by b & w, 06 April 2020 - 04:54 PM.

• Rosko likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users