11 replies to this topic

Wes

Wes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

POPULAR

Hi all,

I purchased my first MX5, an NC, in May and have been very much enjoying it so far!

However when I had the car lifted last month to change oils I noticed the underbody was quite rusty. I'm fairly new to this game so would very much appreciate advice on how best to treat rust / protect the car? 

Is this something I can do myself? Or if it is best done my a garage does anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks

• Ali5 likes this

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 12305 posts
  • LocationAlways in the doghouse

Current mood: Pensive

POPULAR

Yep, Mazda aren't known for their adequate rustroofing of cars during manufacture, they've always been bad for rot and they're still all the same even now.  Last year my lad told me he was off to look at an 18 month old Mazda CX something or other at a Honda dealership.  I was going off on my hols so couldnt go with him but I told him to look underneath it and he may get a shock, he kind of told me i was an idiot - "it's an 18 month old car for gawd's sake" he said . I just said "ok".

A few days into our hols I got a text on my phone, " You weren't jokiing were you? "  He'd taken my advice and looked underneath it, and as predicted he was shocked at the state of it for such a young car. He ended up buying a Honda CRV that was twice the age with half the rust  :giggle:

I've had 2 NCs - both bought under 2 years old and both with quite a lot of rust underneath requiring wire brushing and treating. My last one was a '94 Eunos - a fresh Japanese import (the Japs don't put salt on their roads during the winter months) which is the only way you'll find an older MX5 without any rust.

My recommendation for rust proofing products would be to go on the Bilt Hamber website, their products are second to none for rust proofng and killing off existing rust - t'ain;t cheap stuff but you get what you pay for. Finally, if you're going to do it, do it before autumn comes in and the air gets damp. Rusproofing a car while it's damp is pointless.   https://www.bilthamber.com/

• boxerdog1, Steveti and Paulo like this

Meneer MX5

Meneer MX5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Have a look-see here:-
(Edited By mod to remove very helpful links which sadly breach forum rules)

https://www.mx5life....46-rust-in-ncs/

good luck!

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 11083 posts

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

Hi meneer. Sadly I’m going to have to hide your post as it breaks our forum rules to divert traffic to rival sites. I can see you were trying to be very helpful, though :)
  • Steveti and Meneer MX5 like this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5307 posts

Current mood: Angelic

POPULAR

I used a company called Rustbuster to treat mine when it was just over a year old, it’s not cheap but 5 years later it’s rust free and the rear hub carriers don’t rattle either

• boxerdog1, Dewi RS, Steveti and 1 other like this

TK01

TK01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationValencia

POPULAR

Not sure if you have done this but don't make the same mistake I did... took the car home after getting the rust proofing treatment and it dripped all over the driveway! My landlord wasn't happy!  :mad:

Edited by TK01, 18 January 2021 - 01:37 PM.

• Ali5 likes this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 39911 posts

Current mood: Cold

:(

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 12305 posts
  • LocationAlways in the doghouse

Current mood: Pensive

POPULAR

Not sure if you have done this but don't make the same mistake I did... took the car home after getting the rust proofing treatment and it dripped all over the driveway! My landlord wasn't happy!  :mad:

This is one of the reasons I like Bilt Hamber cavity wax, once it's in and after the first few drips have appeared it stops - unlike Waxoyl that keeps going for months when the weather gets warm. Dinitrol isn't quite as bad but it still takes about a week to finally stop. 

• boxerdog1 and Steveti like this

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 11083 posts

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

Well, I haven’t done it, but my sister did when we were on holiday. Mum and dad had a lovely garden full of Chelsea flower show winning flowers to try and distract them. But no, it was the hole in the drive that they still noticed. You see, rather than leaving the under seal on the drive, the helpful neighbour lent her some patio cleaning acid, that ate straight through the tarmac.
It’s not just you TK
  • Pat, Kev5 and TK01 like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21207 posts

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

Years ago the Japanese kept smuggling rust into Britain. So customs got heavy and stopped it.. Well they had to find another way...

That's how Mazda was formed and the MX5 shipped over.  What a way to smuggle rust-------ssshhhhhh, it's a secret.

• Ali5, Pat, Kev5 and 2 others like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 9315 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Years ago the Japanese kept smuggling rust into Britain. So customs got heavy and stopped it.. Well they had to find another way...

That's how Mazda was formed and the MX5 shipped over.  What a way to smuggle rust-------ssshhhhhh, it's a secret.

:frantic:  :rofl:  :giggle:

• Kev5 likes this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 39911 posts

Current mood: Cold

POPULAR

:giggle:

• Kev5 and Steveti like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users