Help! Need to know how bad this rust is! - New to MX5life? - introduce yourself! - mx5life.com

Photo

Help! Need to know how bad this rust is!

rust mx5 2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

justinbroom

justinbroom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, 

I'm looking at an MX5.  My old one met an unfortunate end! I have a picture, sent from the seller of this one and I can't work out what the picture is of; I can however see significant rust holes! Please can someone help enlighten me.... it's a 2004 and I need to make a decision ASAP.  Thank you so much for any help you can give.  

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21130 posts

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

Please nip over to the introductions page and say hello. You will be far more likely to get some answers if we know who we are talking to.

Let me get this straight. You are thinking of buying an MX5, but only have photos that show rust to go on. Have you seen the car? If not, walk away rather than be rushed into a regrettable decision. Whilst not all Mk 2.5s are rust traps, it has to be accepted that some are. You say that you have seen a photo showing perforations. Are you willing to risk money on it? How much is it? Mileage? Service history? Cam belt and water pump? So many questions.

• Kev5 and Garffey like this

bill119

bill119

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 10642 posts
  • LocationChessy

Current mood: Cynical

POPULAR

Unless you are looking for a restoration project then walk away there are plenty of good ones out there and cheap too.

I have a 2005 immaculate without a spot of rust on it, never been out in the rain for the last 8yr, and it's only worth £1000 to £ 2000.

• Kev5 likes this

rimx5ch

rimx5ch

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 105 posts
  • Locationderbyshire dales

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

when a brought mine the first thing i did was look under the car for rust  but it was ok . next week iam have it wax oiled so it keeps the rust away , if it had been rusty a would have walk away 

• Kev5 likes this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 38499 posts

Current mood: Sweet Tooth

POPULAR

If you are being rushed into buying it

i would walk away

• Kev5 and rimx5ch like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 16174 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Do NOT buy a Mk2.5 (NB FL) with visible rust holes - there will be much more extensive corrosion behind what is visible - these cars rust from the inside out.

As our learned members have said above, walk away. Older versions of the MX-5 which have visible rust holes will be a liability and they will cost considerably more to repair than they are worth.

There is better available - buy the best you can afford, not the cheapest.

• Pat and Garffey like this

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 10609 posts

Current mood: Relaxed

POPULAR

Whatever you will see in terms of outside rust will end up being 30% of the total rust.
I love 2.5s, but I wouldn’t from a photo. Unless it’s £50 so you’ve got lots of hundreds left for the welding, new panels and respray
  • Pat and Kev5 like this

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 10609 posts

Current mood: Relaxed

POPULAR

Ps, post the photo if you want help on identifying it
  • Kev5 and Garffey like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust, mx5 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic