• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

cgx5

cgx5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

POPULAR

I have a recently purchased 2011 MX5 Sport Tech with the Bose audio. All seems absolutely fine except for an intermittent and annoying buzzing from the driver's side door speaker. Most of the info on this subject that I can find relates to the earlier marks with the elliptical speakers.  However today I decided there was nothing to be lost and took off the door card.  This proved to be a mighty pain and the following is offered to any others who may be considering this.   I have edited to correct previously misleading information

1. An absence of the screw at the top of the door handle has already been pointed out in an older different post here and I followed that advice. However-   CORRECTION  As Steveti describes below apparently the screw is still there. It screws into a square plastic bung in a square hole in the centre of the round  raised part of the door pressing.  I thought there was no screw there and managed with some difficulty to prise out the whole plastic plug, presumably with the screw still attached.  There is no way that this plug is going to pull out with brute force. I prised the plug out from above using screwdrivers which was quite a trying task.  Instead it seems that the covering of the door handle can be removed and the upper screw identified - see Steveti's photos.   Unfortunately this is more of a process than merely prising off a plastic cap as on the Mk3 but it is better than being caught out as I was trying to prise out the plug.  Better being screwed than plugged you might say.

2. The nylon plug issue aside, the door card clip positions are as before but these clips are brutes. They are not like any clips I have come across before and they really do not want to be removed.  I started attempting to prise them off from the upper one at the aft end.  Having got that out it was useful to retain a gap with a small wooden wedge to facilitate moving on to the next. In the end I broke all but 2 of the clips.  Even prising /hauling the remains out of the door was a struggle with mole grips and prising applied. My advice is to regard these clips as  expendable and not start the job until you have sourced a bunch of new ones.  I had a bag of 10 sent the next day for £3.99 and they are of entirely adequate quality

3. I found the tweeter plug quite easy to remove so it was not necessary to unscrew it.  

4. The round speaker (Bose part number  NE626 69 60) is different from the speaker in previous rattle-fix posts and I cannot see any place where the cone had come away to cause the buzz.  So the issue is as yet unresolved.  There certainly was a bit of dampness around the base of the speaker mounting.  If anyone has any experience with a buzzing problem with this type of speaker I would be glad to hear it. I have read that placing dynamat in the door can help but am unsure where this would go or quite how it would help.

Attached Thumbnails

• plug.jpg
  • plug hole.jpg
  • door.jpg
  • speaker.jpg

Edited by cgx5, 27 February 2021 - 04:55 PM.

• Ali5, Mark, Pat and 6 others like this

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 11083 posts

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

That’s an excellent post, thank you
  • Kev5 likes this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 9315 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

For what it's worth Charles, the inside door handle does separate which allows access to the upper screw.
I have a couple of spares so I'll post an image up later. At least it will help should you need to remove the card again.
  • Ali5 and Kev5 like this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 9315 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

As promised Charles, the trim/cover wraps right around the handle assembly, take care when removing it as the clips are easily snapped but once off you can access the top screw that goes into the square plastic plug in the door. When I changed from my Mk3 to Mk3.5 I got caught out exactly the way you did. Hope this helps.

Door handle 1.jpg

Door handle  2.jpg

p.s. I have fitted Dynamat in the doors, not a bad idea to fit it wherever you can when the door card is off, You can unbolt the whole plastic section that the speakers etc screw into to get access to the inside of the door, also worthwhile getting some Dinotrol or similar rustproofer in the door at the same time.

• Ali5, Mark, MJL and 1 other like this

cgx5

cgx5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

POPULAR

Thanks for that Steveti. I wish I had found that earlier. I had been following your 2012 post so both yours from 2012 and mine are actually misleading.  I will edit mine to include your information.   I have put it all back together - (the new door clips came in a day) and I used some bits self adhesive foam sound deadening sheet in various places.    Will see how it goes. 

• Ali5, Pat, Kev5 and 1 other like this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 9315 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

Charles, can you give me the link to my 2012 post please, idle curiosity more than anything.

Thanks.

• Ali5 likes this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 9315 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

:thumbsup:

• Ali5 and MJL like this