Culbone

Culbone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTaunton, Somerset

POPULAR

Hi Guys, I've started some maintenance work on my 2007 NC looking forward to end of lockdown and getting on the road again. Over the last week or so I changed engine oil and filter, aux belt, radiator top up tank (have new tank, not yet fitted), replaced feeble horns for louder ones. Will you give me some advice about changing the power steering fluid please? I have read somewhere to disconnect the lowest connection to the cooling tubes and drain through that route. I have removed under rad shielding to access and I'll jack up front to move wheels left and right but is it a good idea to disconnect at cooling tubes? Thanks 

• Ali5, MJL, Pat and 1 other like this

Wrangler

Wrangler

Token Yank

• Premium Member
  • 21762 posts
  • LocationRenville, Minnesota

Current mood: Mellow

POPULAR

I have not yet performed a fluid change of the power steering system; however, I would like to recommend changing the brake fluid. I learned with my Jeep’s, MK1 and Nissan that this is necessary to prevent calipers seizing 

• MJL, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 1 other like this

Culbone

Culbone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

POPULAR

Thanks Wrangler. I do change brake fluid every 2 or 3 years and clean/grease caliper pins, got to keep the brakes in good condition. :rolleyes:

• MJL, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 1 other like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 16602 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Hi Culbone,

This is personal choice of course, but my considered opinion is to leave well alone unless there is a reason for changing the steering fluid. There is no schedule for power steering fluid change and usually only gets done if a component needs repair. I honestly don't know the best way to drain the system because I have never had to do it on a Mk3 (NC) but hopefully someone will be along to help  :)

• bill119 and Garffey like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 9315 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Although I haven't fully changed the P.S. fluid I have done the following. Using an oil syringe I emptied the reservoir, topped up with new fluid then repeated this procedure around four times over the course of a week/ten days. I believe this will almost certainly have replaced 90% of the fluid but without disturbing any of the components.

Like Kev as far as I'm aware there is no recommended replacement interval for the P.S.fluid but I also like to keep all my fluids as fresh as possible and without going down the route of dismantling components unnecessarily and potentially introducing faults,I opted for the method above.

• MJL and Kev5 like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9286 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

Must admit it's never been something I've ever 'tinkered' with in my years of car ownership but if you must change the fluid it would be right to drain it from the lowest connection.

Many years ago I had a Vauxhall Cavalier that blew the rack seals and dumped all the fluid on Huddersfield ring road!

Nothing too technical I just fitted a second hand steering rack filled up the reservoir and cycled the steering back and forth a few times!

But I'd suggest that Steve's idea of a large syringe to remove fluid from the reservoir far easier...... :hug:

• Kev5 and Steveti like this

Culbone

Culbone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

POPULAR

Hi Guys, thanks for all your comments, I used a syringe to remove as much as possible and disconnected the low pressure flex pipe at the cooler. About 75cl was removed and with pipe reconnected I refilled. The air was expelled after a quick engine turnover. Although it's not listed as required oils do deteriorate so I'm happy as Larry now, whoever that is!

• Pat, Steveti and Garffey like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users