What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring) - Page 607 - MX5 & General Car Chat - mx5life.com

Photo

What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring)

• Please log in to reply
12157 replies to this topic

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 9760 posts

Current mood: Vegged Out

POPULAR

@ Ali - Less wheelspin and you will save even more money! :nod:

But it would be boring! Lol. Yet to spin the new set (done ten miles lol)
  • Mark, Pat, badman and 1 other like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8107 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Crappy

POPULAR

Yesterday....Set off for Southport to collect the new CX-3.....

Yet more horrific driving in the wet on the M62, :frantic:  and a blue BMW 3 series buried up to the bulkhead in crash barrier close to junction 20 (Rochdale). :android:

People won't learn........ :banghead:

Arrived in Southport, to a dry cool and sunny day & indulged in a hearty breakfast!

Collection of the CX went fine, and a check over revealed all the work carried out as promised.

The return journey was fine until the M6 near Wigan when the heavens opened again, with the auto wipers working overtime!

But we survived it, despite the odd 'loon' or two.... o_OO_o

• Jono, Mark, MJL and 7 others like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 32717 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

Sold two Polo GTI alloys with tyres on ebay.  Previous experience with selling cars or car related items on ebay has been poor but both these were each paid for and collected within 3 hours of the auction ending.   :)

boxerdog1

boxerdog1

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3573 posts
  • LocationIllogan, West Cornwall.

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

Sold two Polo GTI alloys with tyres on ebay.  Previous experience with selling cars or car related items on ebay has been poor but both these were each paid for and collected within 3 hours of the auction ending.   :)

Bet the Mazda dealer was a bit pissed off when he noticed them missing Nick  ;)

• MJL, Kev5 and Qu1ckn1ck like this

boxerdog1

boxerdog1

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3573 posts
  • LocationIllogan, West Cornwall.

POPULAR

First real proper blast in the S2K today .... good weather / new tyres instead of the 10 year old ones .   Tried out this new 'VTEC' thingy that suddenly says 'Hello' after 6000 RPM .  Must admit it is rather impressive , all I can liken it to is the two stroke power band on the more powerful strokers I have ridden back in the day .  Not to say it's fine below that rev band as it's quite tractable at lower revs despite reports to the contrary ... but having experienced the 'VTEC surge' I may well become addicted  :)

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11984 posts
  • LocationWith the OFFAPIS

POPULAR

Ben got a new van last Friday so he had to clear out his old one and take all the parts bins out and skip them so he asked me if I wanted them. I got the last lot a few years ago from his last van swap and they've been great for storing nuts, bolts etc in so seeing as my cupboards are slowly being overrun with more of my Wombleness I jumped at the opportunity of getting hold of some new ones. Today - in between other stuff like road testing the Frog after repairing a serious misfire that developed on a run out on Monday - has been spent popping them on the wall over my bench but first I had to remove the old ones and move them over a bit to make room, and once they were all fitted came the task of cleanng out me drawers and cupboards. .A lot of stuff got binned because it was just hoarding things I'd never use.

I've run out of wall now........

20191017-195701.jpg

I also swapped the cars over today after fixing the Frog. I took miss out for an airing in it on Monday (she gets a bit cobwebby if I don't take her out at least once a week) and it started misfiring even before we got out of the street, then it cleared only to start again about 2 miles from home. Realising i had no tools with me I decided it would be best to head for home while it was still actually running, and we just about made it back.

I was going to fix it Monday afternoon but got a call from Ben - could I go round and help him fix a water leak in the house? I said, "You're a gas fitter, fix it yourself!"  He said, "Seriously Dad, I'm in Schtuck here, can you come round" So, I jumped in the car and headed over there, long story short, he'd cut a 2 foot square out of the kitchen ceiling and there was water peeing out of a 22mm central heating pipe which had sprung a leak because it had been chaffing against a cold water pipe for years by the looks. He'd turned it all off and drained it down but the water left in the pipe was still piddling out. The way it was positioned made it impossible to repair from below - so we had to take up the bathroom floor.....once that was done we discovered the leak was right underneath the bath. It turned into a real nightmare of a job. I got there at 2.30pm and got home at 8pm which put paid to me fixing the Frog so I only got at it today.

I knew it was electrical and suspected a dodgy condenser so had planned to change that - there are a lot of cheap Chinese ones on the market at the moment which are crap so i was going to change it for a new one that had been living in the cupboard of doom for ages but first checked out the wiring. The only terminal I'd never re-made was the switch side of the coil and sure enough it was that little blighter. The wire had parted company with the solder so it was only making sproradic contact with the spade terminal. A new one was crimped in and off I went for a test drive - perfect!       

Yes, so i swapped the cars over so I can start winter work on the MG, it's always easier to work on the car in front of the bench

Froger looking handsome as ever after our test drive. Love this little thing, it just gets better and better.

20191017-200747.jpg

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

I see a man who doesn't need any more hobbies  :giggle: 
That wall's beyond organised ::help:  - see these almost OCD folks - says he as he lines up the mouse, keyboard and screen before turning off the computer  :giggle: 

Like the fix it yourself bit  :giggle:  :giggle:

• MJL, Pat, boxerdog1 and 2 others like this

Dewi RS

Dewi RS

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11984 posts
  • LocationWith the OFFAPIS

POPULAR

Apart from watching the start of the Brexit debate and the end of the rugby, I've taken those horrible spotlights off the front of the GT.  It looks a lot cleaner and as God intended now. 

BGT34.jpg

• Jono, Mark, MJL and 8 others like this

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11141 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Current mood: Happy

POPULAR

I've taken those horrible spotlights off the front of the GT.  It looks a lot cleaner and as God intended now.

That seems both sensible and makes the car look a lot more attractive. Somehow having all that mass on the bumper moved the car's visual centre further forward...

Now it looks the great beauty that Pininfarina intended.

• Jono, Qu1ckn1ck, Steveti and 2 others like this

Kent

Kent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNorth Bucks

That looks so much better, good move.

Seeing your nice white walls makes me think I should do the same

Wrangler

Wrangler

Token Yank

• Premium Member
  • 19088 posts
  • LocationRenville, Minnesota

Current mood: Mellow

POPULAR

Spent about an equivalent of £700 for new shock absorbers (Dampers) and sway bar drop links for my Mazda. Moss Motors should love me!

• Mark, Pat, Qu1ckn1ck and 2 others like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 32717 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

Spent about an equivalent of £700 for new shock absorbers (Dampers) and sway bar drop links for my Mazda. Moss Motors should love me!

I take it that Moss have an outlet in the USA too, Dennis ?

Wrangler

Wrangler

Token Yank

• Premium Member
  • 19088 posts
  • LocationRenville, Minnesota

Current mood: Mellow

POPULAR

Yes Nick, they are the major supplier in the US of parts for Classic British Sports Cars. The have added the Mazda in the past 20 years. I first dealt with them when keeping the MGB on the road. 

• Qu1ckn1ck likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8107 posts

POPULAR

Bought a complete 'Witter' tow bar (minus electrics) for the Vitara, off Flea-bay.... :nod: ....

Winning bid £7.28.... :thumbsup:  :giggle:

Now the Vitara, already has a (Witter) tow bar....but sadly no towing hitch & I've been quoted upwards of £70, so a bit of a bargain....apart from the 70 mile one way journey to collect it!  o_OO_o

• Ali5, Mark, Pat and 1 other like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8657 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Now that the garage is reclaimed from the delivery of fire wood (finally) and although I still need to give the shelves a proper tidy up the GM is now back inside. That being the case I ordered up 6 litres of Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 Ester Fully Synthetic Engine lub from Opie today, cyber sale on so 15% discount. 6 litres I hear you ask? Well over the time I've been using this oil Ive accumulated 4 litres spare, not quite enough for a lub change so by getting my 1 litre extra at a discounted price I'll have what appears to be a nearly free oil change in hand. 

Hoping to get the garage fir to get some winter work carried out on the GM, it's sadly been a little neglected this past year and a bit so will get some TLC. Hoping to get it up on the ramps and axle stands and get the gearbox and diff fluids swapped out and find the source of an annoying rattle which I suspect is the sports cat rattling in the can.

I also hope to take time out and give it a serious and long overdue detailing session as well, that's the plan anyway - mice and men and all that.

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8107 posts

Yesterday, as the sun was out and it was quite a pleasant day.....

I managed to give the ND a bath, and got rid of months worth of muck from all the recent trips to Wales..... :(

Was thinking I'd do the Vitara today, but it's a bit breezier....we'll see.

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 8657 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

Today I have been mostly on the 'phone. Oh yes, silly season starts again!! Call from Jackie (I'll cut the expletives out) "someone has run into my car when it was parked and damaged it!" Now, I know Jackie always finds the furthest away, lonliest space in any car park she goes to but oh no, not good enough for some it seems. The only saving grace is that an ex  copper saw it happening had a word with the elderly lady driving her Aygo (it would be a shitmobile of some sort wouldn't it?) and he took her details and kindly left a note on Jackie's windscreen with his contact details and the name and address of the lady in question.

I called him and he very kindly volunteered to go to her home address and get her 'phone number etc for me, in the interim and although it happened in a private car park we called the local police and got an incident number should we need it for insurance purposes.

I've now spoken with the lady who appears to be in quite a state about it and would rather settle the repairs personally rather than go through insurance, she is insured, taxed and MOT'd, damn sure I checked. The problem is that although the damage initially appears slight, a scrape or two on the rear bumper and a £38 fog light broken, I'm damned if I'm putting myself out to do the repairs. I have given the lady two options:

1. we simply bang it through her insurance - easy option for me I suppose or

2. I get a quote from my trusted and reasonably priced body shop for the repairs.

The issue I see is that motor bodywork repairs don't come in at a few quid, she did make the point that there was only a couple of slight scratches, I corrected her and reminded her that that is what she could see on the surface, we don't know and neither do I genuinely expect there to be any unseen damage  - not the point, the car is only two years old past in July and needs put back to as new.

I'll pop out to my body shop tomorrow and get an estimate but in all seriousness I see a bill for around £500 possibly + going her way.

It also raises an ethical question, given the space she tried to fit an Aygo into and the amount she misjudged the space by - over a 12-18 inches and she didn't stop when she impacted Jackie's car but wiped her bumper right through - should we be questioning her eyesight and her general ability to be on the roads? Perhaps this is why she is reluctant to have it done through her insurance?

The one thing I know is that Jackie is spitting feathers as this is not the first time some blind bas*ard has dinged her car with doors etc, up 'till now I've generally polished anything out with the machine polisher but nope, not this time.

Glad to have an ex cop as a witness though and glad he left a note as I'm less than convinced the lady would have with her "it's only a couple of scratches" attitude.

Yours, Mr angry but trying to be restrained of Fife.

p.s. removed the bulb from the smashed fog lamp in case we need them and get pulled for showing white light to the rear, Jackie also has a note of the incident report should there be an issue.

• Qu1ckn1ck, Garffey and Itchy-RS like this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

bah - humbug - can't delete a post?

Edited by Itchy-RS, 04 December 2019 - 06:11 PM.

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Today I have been mostly on the 'phone. Oh yes, silly season starts again!! Call from Jackie (I'll cut the expletives out) "someone has run into my car when it was parked and damaged it!" Now, I know Jackie always finds the furthest away, lonliest space in any car park she goes to but oh no, not good enough for some it seems. The only saving grace is that an ex  copper saw it happening had a word with the elderly lady driving her Aygo (it would be a shitmobile of some sort wouldn't it?) and he took her details and kindly left a note on Jackie's windscreen with his contact details and the name and address of the lady in question.

I called him and he very kindly volunteered to go to her home address and get her 'phone number etc for me, in the interim and although it happened in a private car park we called the local police and got an incident number should we need it for insurance purposes.

I've now spoken with the lady who appears to be in quite a state about it and would rather settle the repairs personally rather than go through insurance, she is insured, taxed and MOT'd, damn sure I checked. The problem is that although the damage initially appears slight, a scrape or two on the rear bumper and a £38 fog light broken, I'm damned if I'm putting myself out to do the repairs. I have given the lady two options:

2. I get a quote from my trusted and reasonably priced body shop for the repairs.

The issue I see is that motor bodywork repairs don't come in at a few quid, she did make the point that there was only a couple of slight scratches, I corrected her and reminded her that that is what she could see on the surface, we don't know and neither do I genuinely expect there to be any unseen damage  - not the point, the car is only two years old past in July and needs put back to as new.

I'll pop out to my body shop tomorrow and get an estimate but in all seriousness I see a bill for around £500 possibly + going her way.

It also raises an ethical question, given the space she tried to fit an Aygo into and the amount she misjudged the space by - over a 12-18 inches and she didn't stop when she impacted Jackie's car but wiped her bumper right through - should we be questioning her eyesight and her general ability to be on the roads? Perhaps this is why she is reluctant to have it done through her insurance?

The one thing I know is that Jackie is spitting feathers as this is not the first time some blind bas*ard has dinged her car with doors etc, up 'till now I've generally polished anything out with the machine polisher but nope, not this time.

Glad to have an ex cop as a witness though and glad he left a note as I'm less than convinced the lady would have with her "it's only a couple of scratches" attitude.

p.s. removed the bulb from the smashed fog lamp in case we need them and get pulled for showing white light to the rear, Jackie also has a note of the incident report should there be an issue.

Steve
Bad luck - - which begs the question - why park next to a car when there are spaces - do they feel isolated or lonely   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes: 
Don't need to tell you - I am sure, if you haven't done so, report it to your insurers "For information only".
That way you are coveted if it all goes the wrong way up.
Means if she doesn't like the body shop bill, (she may have lousy claims history with that eyesight   ;)   ;)  ) they can deal with it on a no fault recovery basis which shouldn't touch your NCD or premium.

Good luck - as you say these things often turn out larger than you think.

Thinks back to when blind git sitting 12" off my tail did the inevitable when the lights changed.
Gave me the name of a "friendly" coachworks he knew "that'll easily pop out - quote he" and suggested I went there.
Obviously the coachworks wasn't that friendly - the next thing I got was a phonecall from his insurers "with their hands up"
X plate Civic Aerodeck mmm towbar + valance/bumper/ rubbing strips ++ + painting = £1200 - luckily the boot floor or tailgate wasn't warped or it would have been bye bye.

Edited by Itchy-RS, 04 December 2019 - 07:50 PM.

• Steveti likes this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 8657 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

Steve
Bad luck - - which begs the question - why park next to a car when there are spaces - do they feel isolated or lonely   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes: 
Don't need to tell you - I am sure, if you haven't done so, report it to your insurers "For information only".
That way you are coveted if it all goes the wrong way up.
Means if she doesn't like the body shop bill, (she may have lousy claims history with that eyesight   ;)   ;)  ) they can deal with it on a no fault recovery basis which shouldn't touch your NCD or premium.

Good luck - as you say these things often turn out larger than you think.

Thinks back to when bling git sitting 12" off my tail did the inevitable when the lights changed.
Gave me the name of a "friendly" coachworks he knew "that'll easily pop out - quote he" and suggested I went there.
Obviously the coachworks wasn't that friendly - the next thing I got was a phonecall from his insurers "with their hands up"
X plate Civic Aerodeck mmm towbar + valance/bumper/ rubbing strips ++ + painting = £1200 - luckily the boot floor or tailgate wasn't warped or it would have been bye bye.

I've often asked the same question, why park next to a car sitting on its own when there are many empty spaces all around, it baffles me. Jackie recently did the same thing at a garden centre, she returned to the car only to find a monolith of a 4x4 parked a foot away from her drivers door, multiple empty spaces all around. She did leave her own note on that occasion requesting that perhaps the next time they park so close to a car they leave a f*****g tin opener so the driver can get into their car.

Piccy :

wanker.jpg

Apologies, it wasn't a 4x4 or SUV but still a t*****

Anyway, back on topic; I've spoken with the lady and have given her the option of paying for the work or we go straight to insurance, in essence she has around 24 hours to pay for the repairs or it will go straight to insurance. Police are aware that we have taken this approach and concur, the incident number will act as a coverall should we require to go the insurance route which in all honesty I can see it going, just a gut feel.

• Kev5 and Garffey like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users