What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring) - Page 608 - MX5 & General Car Chat - mx5life.com

Photo

What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring)

• Please log in to reply
12157 replies to this topic

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15481 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

I completely empathise, Steve - many times I have had to push the MX5 out of a space just so that I could get in!!

• MJL, Steveti and Garffey like this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5131 posts

Current mood: Angelic

POPULAR

Cars have very strong attracting magnets, why I’ve no idea, plus our nation’s desire for orderly patterns. Hopefully she’ll pay without further argument otherwise your making a claim on your insurance which is never free despite it not being your fault when it comes to next year’s quote.

• Steveti likes this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

The project continues - well gets started after my good lady declared "Iam not getting in that with the noise it makes and the roof down" :rolleyes: on the roof, we shall see :giggle:  :giggle: 

Picked up the “spare” set of wheels for Itchy which I acquired from Swansea for £60 after having them coated and lacquered, am liking the sparkle finish, quite a transformation I think you will agree as in pictures of the currently fitted BBS, the RS wheels in various stages of work and completed plus one of the new RS5 tyre.
After speaking to two or three companies and chewing things over, we were not sure if they were textured alloy or painted and couldn't find definitive answers anywhere else as the wheels seem to be fairly rare, so couldn’t take the chance of having them conventionally prepared by all over sand blasting for fear of destroying the front finish so in terms of preparation, I borrowed a compressor and sanded the back of them to remove the corrosion then handed them over to a local wheel refurbishment company who acid dipped them, sand blasted the backs of the spokes then coated and lacquered them.
Finally he then fitted new boots, 4 x Uniroyal Rainsport5s the very new successor to the much loved RS3.
Whenever we get a dry day I will get the wheels swapped and determine whether the tyres live up to reviews ;) 
Up until today, I hadn’t even realised they are Enkie wheels, but knew they were the original JDM fitment to the RS1.8.
Unfortunately he couldn’t do anything with the centre caps which had been sprayed with a texture paint as had the rims, so the hunt is now on to find an unadulterated set of those and get them painted to match.
The stage after that is to get the somewhat tarnished BBS’s which came with the car refurbished and dispose of the only just legal Yokohama AD08Rs with which they are presently shod.
those I will not be sorry to see go after they suddenly went slideways on a very wet M8 a few weeks ago - yes, I was tramping on, think it was when the LSD opened as I changed up to 3rd but it did my nerves no good  :eek:  :eek: 
Next work is to have the front wing - which some neanderthal scraped repainted along with the recently acquired hardtop, the mirrors and rear bumper which are all matt from Japanese sun damage.  That will pave the way for a set of coilovers - next spring - the finance committee says  ::help:  ::help:

Attached Thumbnails

• asm - 001 - BBS Typical front face before work - Sept 2019.jpg
  • asm - 004 - RS Typical front face before work - Sept 2019.jpg
  • asm - 005 - RS Typical rear face before work - Sept 2019.jpg
  • asm - 010 - RS typical rear part sanding - Nov 2019.jpg
  • asm - 012 - RS typical rear after sanding - Nov 2019.jpg
  • asm - 017 - RS typical front with Uniroyal RS5 04th Dec 2019.jpg
  • asm - 018 - RS typical rear with Uniroyal RS5 04th Dec 2019.jpg
  • asm - 020 - RS front sparkle detail 04th Dec 2019.jpg
  • asm - 021 - Uniroyal RainSport5 tread..jpg

• Mark, MJL, Kev5 and 3 others like this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

Sorry to disagree - but that would not constitute a claim, it is a no fault situation as the other insurer would be paying all costs and Which? did a report a short while back showing several companies will neither cut your NCD nor up your premium in those circumstances, LV being the best and that is who we have the multi car policy for the Civic & Jazz with - unfortunately they will not cover Itchy.  But would cover me on a Boxster for the princely sum of £225 pa FC and protected NCD - thinks very carefully about his next car ???

Cars have very strong attracting magnets, why I’ve no idea, plus our nation’s desire for orderly patterns. Hopefully she’ll pay without further argument otherwise your making a claim on your insurance which is never free despite it not being your fault when it comes to next year’s quote.

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8657 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Very true Steve, I've actually spoken with my insurance company now just to add belt to the braces, I have a funny feeling when the lady in question gets the quotation in she may become reluctant to cough up, the other issue of course is how do you guarantee that she will pay once the work is carried out? I cold of course get her credit card details should she have one and pass the details onto the repairers but sadly that could appear as if I was trying to scam her. 

She is definitely upset about the incident but hey, Jackie's car isn't three years old yet and it's a nice spec (ST-Line) it's condition should reflect that without her telling me it was only a couple of scratches, I suppose it reflects how many people view their cars, disposable item, whoops another scratch, never mind. Not my mindset funnily enough.

p.s. I did clarify with Churchill that if this went to claim that it would not affect Jackie's premium or protected NCD, they confirmed as it would be a no fault claim it would not affect NCD or premium. I personally remain sceptical on that as policies vary from company to company i.e. they can load a premium based on the likelyhood of third party damage, usually vandalism based on the desirability (read jealousy factor) of certain cars.

• Itchy-RS likes this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 8657 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

The project continues - well gets started after my good lady declared "Iam not getting in that with the noise it makes and the roof down" :rolleyes: on the roof, we shall see :giggle:  :giggle: 

Picked up the “spare” set of wheels for Itchy which I acquired from Swansea for £60 after having them coated and lacquered, am liking the sparkle finish, quite a transformation I think you will agree as in pictures of the currently fitted BBS, the RS wheels in various stages of work and completed plus one of the new RS5 tyre.
After speaking to two or three companies and chewing things over, we were not sure if they were textured alloy or painted and couldn't find definitive answers anywhere else as the wheels seem to be fairly rare, so couldn’t take the chance of having them conventionally prepared by all over sand blasting for fear of destroying the front finish so in terms of preparation, I borrowed a compressor and sanded the back of them to remove the corrosion then handed them over to a local wheel refurbishment company who acid dipped them, sand blasted the backs of the spokes then coated and lacquered them.
Finally he then fitted new boots, 4 x Uniroyal Rainsport5s the very new successor to the much loved RS3.
Whenever we get a dry day I will get the wheels swapped and determine whether the tyres live up to reviews ;) 
Up until today, I hadn’t even realised they are Enkie wheels, but knew they were the original JDM fitment to the RS1.8.
Unfortunately he couldn’t do anything with the centre caps which had been sprayed with a texture paint as had the rims, so the hunt is now on to find an unadulterated set of those and get them painted to match.
The stage after that is to get the somewhat tarnished BBS’s which came with the car refurbished and dispose of the only just legal Yokohama AD08Rs with which they are presently shod.
those I will not be sorry to see go after they suddenly went slideways on a very wet M8 a few weeks ago - yes, I was tramping on, think it was when the LSD opened as I changed up to 3rd but it did my nerves no good  :eek:  :eek: 
Next work is to have the front wing - which some neanderthal scraped repainted along with the recently acquired hardtop, the mirrors and rear bumper which are all matt from Japanese sun damage.  That will pave the way for a set of coilovers - next spring - the finance committee says  ::help:  ::help:

Pretty certain that the BBS will be painted. I know a couple of really good pro outfits in our area that strip the wheels by dipping rather than blasting which is a gentler process for any underlying finish on the metal of the wheel.

It may be an idea to PM Dewi RS as he has a set of BBS for his Mk1 RS, D is a mine of very useful knowledge and is quite happy to be tapped into and share. HTH.

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 9761 posts

Current mood: Vegged Out

POPULAR

Push for your insurance.once it’s reported even if you settle with cash, it is still recorded as an incident and is reflected in your renewal price. If you don’t progress through insurance, no guilt is proven so they assume you are partly liable. I speak from experience. It sat there for five years at renewals.
  • Kev5 likes this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Ali
Sorry to labour this but not a universal truth - some of the best companies, as I said earlier do not bump up premiums, LV specifically and some others are whiter than white about no fault incident reporting and processing.
They are not even the dearest companies - may be worth looking at for renewal :-)
Or just find the Which? report - makes very interesting reading, as in the same good companies do not rip off existing customers leaving them to phone and haggle at renewal - that's why they get Defaqto 5* ratings.

Push for your insurance.once it’s reported even if you settle with cash, it is still recorded as an incident and is reflected in your renewal price. If you don’t progress through insurance, no guilt is proven so they assume you are partly liable. I speak from experience. It sat there for five years at renewals.

• Steveti likes this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Very true Steve, I've actually spoken with my insurance company now just to add belt to the braces, I have a funny feeling when the lady in question gets the quotation in she may become reluctant to cough up, the other issue of course is how do you guarantee that she will pay once the work is carried out? I cold of course get her credit card details should she have one and pass the details onto the repairers but sadly that could appear as if I was trying to scam her. 

She is definitely upset about the incident but hey, Jackie's car isn't three years old yet and it's a nice spec (ST-Line) it's condition should reflect that without her telling me it was only a couple of scratches, I suppose it reflects how many people view their cars, disposable item, whoops another scratch, never mind. Not my mindset funnily enough.

p.s. I did clarify with Churchill that if this went to claim that it would not affect Jackie's premium or protected NCD, they confirmed as it would be a no fault claim it would not affect NCD or premium. I personally remain sceptical on that as policies vary from company to company i.e. they can load a premium based on the likelyhood of third party damage, usually vandalism based on the desirability (read jealousy factor) of certain cars.

Steve - good to hear that from Churchill :-)

• Steveti likes this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Pretty certain that the BBS will be painted. I know a couple of really good pro outfits in our area that strip the wheels by dipping rather than blasting which is a gentler process for any underlying finish on the metal of the wheel.

It may be an idea to PM Dewi RS as he has a set of BBS for his Mk1 RS, D is a mine of very useful knowledge and is quite happy to be tapped into and share. HTH.

Steve
Thank you for heads up on Dewi, as you say a mine of info - I have got a couple of names from someone, possibly the man himself and will speak to them.
Yes BBS are painted, my thoughts are to have cleaned, possibly powdered maybe painted so that caps can be done in the same then Diamond cut the rims and lacquered.
Found a guy in Sheffield who has a body shop and did his own BBS - absolutely stunning finish with some special tough lacquer to prevent salt / dust adhesion.
All good info - probably after the winter now though.
Regards
Neil

• Steveti likes this

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 9761 posts

Current mood: Vegged Out

POPULAR

Ali
Sorry to labour this but not a universal truth - some of the best companies, as I said earlier do not bump up premiums, LV specifically and some others are whiter than white about no fault incident reporting and processing.
They are not even the dearest companies - may be worth looking at for renewal :-)
Or just find the Which? report - makes very interesting reading, as in the same good companies do not rip off existing customers leaving them to phone and haggle at renewal - that's why they get Defaqto 5* ratings.

The difficulty with mine was the other party never admitted it after I had reported the accident, meaning that I could never prove it was a no fault. That was the issue.
  • Steveti likes this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 8657 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

I think as outlined in my OP the circumstances here are fairly cut and dried. Jackie had parked the car responsibly and correctly and wasn't even near the car when the incident happened. The collision was witnessed by an ex cop who took details and left a note for Jackie including his contact number.

As we should all do the incident was reported to the police and an incident number raised, my insurance company contacted and told that the third party has accepted responsibility and after I contacted her with the quotation today after I received a quote from my trusted body shop - £342, repair bumper prime paint and replace smashed rear fog light, so in the grand scheme not an expensive repair considering she has a £200 excess on her insurance anyway plus likely premium increases in coming years. I spoke with the lady later on in the day after I gave her the quotation and she took advice from her son who has basically said, 'stump up Mum' as such she has written a cheque for the repairs and has posted it, in truth I have little doubt to not believe her. The biggest issue is that the car can't be booked in unless I gat a cancellation, until the 13th January but the upside is that the car is in no way unsafe or illegal. 

As stated, our insurers for the Focus, Churchill, have assured me that even if I were to proceed with a claim it would go down as a complete no blame on our part incident as it was witnessed and the third party has admitted 100% liability to the witness and myself, (also apologising profusely to Jackie) and therefore will neither reduce our NCD protection not increase premiums.

• Ali5, Mark, MJL and 3 others like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 32731 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

I think as outlined in my OP the circumstances here are fairly cut and dried. Jackie had parked the car responsibly and correctly and wasn't even near the car when the incident happened. The collision was witnessed by an ex cop who took details and left a note for Jackie including his contact number.

As we should all do the incident was reported to the police and an incident number raised, my insurance company contacted and told that the third party has accepted responsibility and after I contacted her with the quotation today after I received a quote from my trusted body shop - £342, repair bumper prime paint and replace smashed rear fog light, so in the grand scheme not an expensive repair considering she has a £200 excess on her insurance anyway plus likely premium increases in coming years. I spoke with the lady later on in the day after I gave her the quotation and she took advice from her son who has basically said, 'stump up Mum' as such she has written a cheque for the repairs and has posted it, in truth I have little doubt to not believe her. The biggest issue is that the car can't be booked in unless I gat a cancellation, until the 13th January but the upside is that the car is in no way unsafe or illegal. 

As stated, our insurers for the Focus, Churchill, have assured me that even if I were to proceed with a claim it would go down as a complete no blame on our part incident as it was witnessed and the third party has admitted 100% liability to the witness and myself, (also apologising profusely to Jackie) and therefore will neither reduce our NCD protection not increase premiums.

A nuisance that you could do without but all's well that ends well !

• MJL and Steveti like this

Steveti

Steveti

• Premium Member
  • 8657 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

POPULAR

A nuisance that you could do without but all's well that ends well !

So far anyway Nick, the cheque arrived in the post this morning, body shop can't fit me in until 13th January though, bummer! :(

• Ali5, Mark, MJL and 2 others like this

TracyB

TracyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationPudsey

POPULAR

Another MOT passed on Wednesday with no work required and just the same advisories I think I've had for most of the many years  :)  So next year will finally get my alloys sprayed/cleaned etc and power windows looking at as neither work now  :(  Will get the fuse(s), switch and then the regulators checked - as long as the driver side window works I'm happy with that as need it to unsteam the window screen on cold/wet days when I can't put the roof down.

• Mark, Pat, Kev5 and 1 other like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15481 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Another MOT passed on Wednesday with no work required and just the same advisories I think I've had for most of the many years  :)  So next year will finally get my alloys sprayed/cleaned etc and power windows looking at as neither work now  :(  Will get the fuse(s), switch and then the regulators checked - as long as the driver side window works I'm happy with that as need it to unsteam the window screen on cold/wet days when I can't put the roof down.

Well done, Tracy  :thumbsup:

I am surprised that it passed with non-working windows. When I was testing (in a past life) the driver's window needed to work so that hand signals could be given if necessary.

• bill119 likes this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 37118 posts

Current mood: Tired

POPULAR

Great news Tracy  :skip:

• TracyB likes this

TracyB

TracyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationPudsey

Another MOT passed on Wednesday with no work required and just the same advisories I think I've had for most of the many years :) So next year will finally get my alloys sprayed/cleaned etc and power windows looking at as neither work now :( Will get the fuse(s), switch and then the regulators checked - as long as the driver side window works I'm happy with that as need it to unsteam the window screen on cold/wet days when I can't put the roof down.

Well done, Tracy

I am surprised that it passed with non-working windows. When I was testing (in a past life) the driver's window needed to work so that hand signals could be given if necessary.
I did ask garage before putting it in with my window not working and apparently doesn't matter which did surprise me I have to admit

Sent from my HTC U Play using Tapatalk

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users