What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring) - Page 611 - MX5 & General Car Chat - mx5life.com

Photo

What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring)

• Please log in to reply
12233 replies to this topic

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8573 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

Yesterday....Decided to take the 'Firestorm' to work, mileage on speedo 23,323 when I left....mileage 23,379 when I got home at 9.45.  :rolleyes:

• Kev5, badman, Qu1ckn1ck and 1 other like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Ooooooooh, it's all big thrills just now :( today I bought a new Sat Nag, Tom Tom were doing some pretty good deals and my old Sat Nag from 2013 has decided that it doesn't want to update any more, looks like the female plug on the unit is worn out and just won't allow a sustainable connection to the website app to update maps and speed camera updates. Slightly bigger screen and updates maps, speed cameras for life by WiFi and with £85 off the retail price why not?

Also finally got my new windscreen scuttle retaining grommets delivered so popped them in along with some panel sealant, belts and braces and re-fitted the scuttle and wipers.

• Kev5, badman, bill119 and 1 other like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 4034 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

POPULAR

Hi , I spent a couple of hours prepping my boot for painting and derusting . This and parts of the engine bay are still Silver as that was Nan's original colour . Jeremy my Mechanic was fitting a new Battery and mentioned some Rust in the boot which may need treating so I got some Rust Converter and also bought some Hammerite Blue paint as it almost match the Ford Imperial Blue that Nan is . Oh and I bought 2 new Brushes to do the job . Very posh !! I took the Carpet out and it was all sticky foam on the back of it and lots stuck to the main floor of the Boot floor .Looking around I could see this had been the original Carpet and it was in pretty good nick apart from the Foam backing . It took a good hour to scrape the old Foam off the floor and give it a going over with a big Brass brush . To be honest there was dusty surface Rust around the Battery area but nothing structural at all ! Jeremy had fashioned a new Battery clamp and put that in and I guess thought the whole Boot was like that . After gathering the worst of the foam debris I borrowed Philippa's G Tech Hand Vacuum to gather the dust . Bloody thing was useless ! Until I cleaned it out anyway , I dismantled it and found a filter I do not think she has even seen in all the time we have had it . That released a cloud of Brown Dust and LO it was Green !  It is amazing how these things will work if you clean them out properly . Anyway I will let the floor dry up till the morning then give it another brush and Vacuum out before slapping the Rust Converter on Jenolite is the one I have .

The thing I was most proud of today though was I managed to change the Watch Battery that fits in the Watch that acts as my Horn Button . My Wheel came with a sticker in place of the Horn Button so I put this Blue Watch in its place with a 3M sticky pad . All was well till the Battery ran out ! I have a Tremor something akin to Parkinsons so this was a challenge . I had a selection of Batterys and found the right one , I opened the Watch somehow without chucking the innards all over the place . Yes on insertion I dropped it a number of times but somehow got it in place and the back replacedd and yes it was working ! Now I need one of those sticky pads . I wheeled myself into the Living room and there on the floor was one ! Would you believe it . Got that stuck back in the wheel somehow . Yes I was pleased with myself , feeling SMUG !!    :cool:  :cool:

• Pat, Kev5, badman and 2 others like this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 38024 posts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

Hi , I spent a couple of hours prepping my boot for painting and derusting . This and parts of the engine bay are still Silver as that was Nan's original colour . Jeremy my Mechanic was fitting a new Battery and mentioned some Rust in the boot which may need treating so I got some Rust Converter and also bought some Hammerite Blue paint as it almost match the Ford Imperial Blue that Nan is . Oh and I bought 2 new Brushes to do the job . Very posh !! I took the Carpet out and it was all sticky foam on the back of it and lots stuck to the main floor of the Boot floor .Looking around I could see this had been the original Carpet and it was in pretty good nick apart from the Foam backing . It took a good hour to scrape the old Foam off the floor and give it a going over with a big Brass brush . To be honest there was dusty surface Rust around the Battery area but nothing structural at all ! Jeremy had fashioned a new Battery clamp and put that in and I guess thought the whole Boot was like that . After gathering the worst of the foam debris I borrowed Philippa's G Tech Hand Vacuum to gather the dust . Bloody thing was useless ! Until I cleaned it out anyway , I dismantled it and found a filter I do not think she has even seen in all the time we have had it . That released a cloud of Brown Dust and LO it was Green !  It is amazing how these things will work if you clean them out properly . Anyway I will let the floor dry up till the morning then give it another brush and Vacuum out before slapping the Rust Converter on Jenolite is the one I have .

The thing I was most proud of today though was I managed to change the Watch Battery that fits in the Watch that acts as my Horn Button . My Wheel came with a sticker in place of the Horn Button so I put this Blue Watch in its place with a 3M sticky pad . All was well till the Battery ran out ! I have a Tremor something akin to Parkinsons so this was a challenge . I had a selection of Batterys and found the right one , I opened the Watch somehow without chucking the innards all over the place . Yes on insertion I dropped it a number of times but somehow got it in place and the back replacedd and yes it was working ! Now I need one of those sticky pads . I wheeled myself into the Living room and there on the floor was one ! Would you believe it . Got that stuck back in the wheel somehow . Yes I was pleased with myself , feeling SMUG !!    :cool:  :cool:

Brilliant, Ross

You have every reason to be smug  :D

• Kev5, Rosko and Steveti like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

During these strange times I've been working on the GM, catching up on a number of jobs that I've intended doing for a while but either haven't been able to do or haven't felt inclined to do.

I started machining these aluminium inserts for the exhaust tips last year but just could not continue to post surgery pain. Anyway, I started them again around 10 days ago, an hour here a couple oif hours there and finally ended up with these inserts for the large tin can style tips on the car,

DSC_0302 (002).jpg

Not bad if I say so myself and a hell of a lot of work for a small home lathe, these both came from a solid 140mm aluminium billet, hence the hours of work involved just removing the mass of metal.

• MJL, Kev5, badman and 3 others like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15981 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Great stuff, Ross - the thing that made me chuckle (and wince!) is when you made reference to "Philippa's G Tech Hand Vaccuum" - that would be grounds for immediate divorce in some households!!  :eek:

I guess she also owns the ironing board and dusters too!  :lol:

• Rosko and Garffey like this

Rosko

Rosko

Rosko

• Premium Member
  • 4034 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Current mood: Lurking

POPULAR

Philippa does not Iron.

• Kev5 likes this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15981 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

POPULAR

Philippa does not Iron.

Good girl, Phil!!

Nor do I... 

I haven't ironed a single thing since Caroline and me separated last October!

My new name is Kev The Creased.

Which is marginally better than Vlad The Impaler, I suppose...

• Ali5, Pat, Rosko and 1 other like this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Kev
Careful now - small change from Kev the creased to - Kev the impaled
Could be painful if not fatal 😂😂
  • Kev5 and Rosko like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8573 posts

POPULAR

Washed the ND before it got too warm, in anticipation of a 'long way' topless trip to work and home again... :inlove:

• Kev5 and Qu1ckn1ck like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15981 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

POPULAR

...Kev the impaled
Could be painful if not fatal

T'would still be more exciting than what I've had for the past 7 months!!!  :bored:

• Garffey likes this

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11298 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Current mood: Happy

POPULAR

During these strange times I've been working on the GM, catching up on a number of jobs that I've intended doing for a while but either haven't been able to do or haven't felt inclined to do.

I started machining these aluminium inserts for the exhaust tips last year but just could not continue to post surgery pain. Anyway, I started them again around 10 days ago, an hour here a couple oif hours there and finally ended up with these inserts for the large tin can style tips on the car,

attachicon.gifDSC_0302 (002).jpg

Not bad if I say so myself and a hell of a lot of work for a small home lathe, these both came from a solid 140mm aluminium billet, hence the hours of work involved just removing the mass of metal.

Those look wonderful, Steve, and add both visual (and I guess aural) solidity to the car's back!

• Steveti likes this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21064 posts

POPULAR

Sort of motoring. I am supposed to be driving to France on 3rd June, and booked my tunnel ticket last December.  Obviously all travel is severley restricted. Today I logged onto Eurotunnel and went through the process of amending my booking for September. Get right to the end where I click to pay the £5 fee, and nothing happened.  Nothing seemed to be happening, no Email had come, so I logged out. Went back a bit later and my booking is locked! Phoned the number and waited half an hour in the queue. The woman looked and knew straight away that the system had frozen. Don't worry she said, give it 45 minutes to an hour, and the system will clear itself. Either cancelling your amendments and taking no money, or letting the new details through. Sure enough my account unlocked as she said. No amendments though. Must be tremendously busy at the moment so think I shall try late this evening.

The lady at Eurotunnel phoned me and did my amendment manually, All I need now is for the chap who is coming along in his old van to manage to get his booking changed. At least he will know what is happening if he gets locked the same as me.

• Pat, Kev5 and Steveti like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21064 posts

POPULAR

Been spending and it will giveme a job to do. My old Renault has no power steerong. It's fine when rolling, but a struggle in confined spaces. Saw an avert from a chap I know. He has the full kit of original Renault Trafic power steering set up. Column and rack, plus the pipework, pump, reservoir, and all bracketry. The only thing to source will be a suitable belt. It is supposed to be a straight swap, part for part. I hope so. I shall fit new track rod ends as a matter of course. The usual kits in use are electric ones from Corsas. Somewhere in the Midlands does them at £600 a pop, fitted. 

• Kev5, Steveti and Garffey like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 15981 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

POPULAR

Been spending and it will giveme a job to do. My old Renault has no power steerong. It's fine when rolling, but a struggle in confined spaces. Saw an avert from a chap I know. He has the full kit of original Renault Trafic power steering set up. Column and rack, plus the pipework, pump, reservoir, and all bracketry. The only thing to source will be a suitable belt. It is supposed to be a straight swap, part for part. I hope so. I shall fit new track rod ends as a matter of course. The usual kits in use are electric ones from Corsas. Somewhere in the Midlands does them at £600 a pop, fitted. 

Quite a big undertaking that - please let us know how you get on, Rodders - good luck  :thumbsup:

• Roddy and Steveti like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21064 posts

POPULAR

Quite a big undertaking that - please let us know how you get on, Rodders - good luck  :thumbsup:

Should be ok Kevin. The rack is a straight swap as is the column. Yes, both need properly centralising, but that is not impossible. The pipework is all there so should give the clues to where the pump fits and same with reservoir. It is a Renault part, taken from a 1993 Trafic and going into a 1993 Trafic. The only differences are the engines and they make no difference except for the lining up of the pump with the Serpentine belt. Swap my switches and lock barrel onto the new column and it should be a goer.

100099636_10156818858787105_2574865518523580416_o.jpg

• Kev5 and Steveti like this

Roddy

Roddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 21064 posts

POPULAR

Should be ok Kevin. The rack is a straight swap as is the column. Yes, both need properly centralising, but that is not impossible. The pipework is all there so should give the clues to where the pump fits and same with reservoir. It is a Renault part, taken from a 1993 Trafic and going into a 1993 Trafic. The only differences are the engines and they make no difference except for the lining up of the pump with the Serpentine belt. Swap my switches and lock barrel onto the new column and it should be a goer.

attachicon.gif100099636_10156818858787105_2574865518523580416_o.jpg

I think I have struck a bit lucky here. The steering columns for my van, and the van that the power steering was on are identical. Therefore I only need to change the steering rack, and fit the pump and reservoir.  I need a bit of careful measuring, but that is a big time saving if I don't need to change the columns and switches.

• Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck, bill119 and 1 other like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 34468 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

attachicon.gif100099636_10156818858787105_2574865518523580416_o.jpg

I think I have struck a bit lucky here. The steering columns for my van, and the van that the power steering was on are identical. Therefore I only need to change the steering rack, and fit the pump and reservoir.  I need a bit of careful measuring, but that is a big time saving if I don't need to change the columns and switches.

... who is the "Lucky Jim" then !

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8573 posts

POPULAR

Err....I, err, appear to have bought err...another err, car, err sorry 'truck' I mean!  :giggle:

Just got to get it collected, as it's in Haywards Heath!!!!!!!!!!  :confused:

It's a bit of a story! .....more later.....

• Ali5, Kev5 and Qu1ckn1ck like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 34468 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

POPULAR

Err....I, err, appear to have bought err...another err, car, err sorry 'truck' I mean!  :giggle:

Just got to get it collected, as it's in Haywards Heath!!!!!!!!!!  :confused:

It's a bit of a story! .....more later.....

Do tell Chris !!

• Ali5, Kev5 and Garffey like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users