What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring) - Page 615 - MX5 & General Car Chat - mx5life.com

Photo

What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring)

• Please log in to reply
12300 replies to this topic

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8728 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

^^^^ Wouldn't happen to have been Buttershaw Estate you stayed was it Kev?  :rolleyes:

If you've seen Rita, Sue and Bob too!

You'll have 'lived it'.....Ha Ha!  :frantic:

• Kev5 likes this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 16115 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

^^^^ Wouldn't happen to have been Buttershaw Estate you stayed was it Kev?  :rolleyes:

Ha! Actually, I can't honestly remember the name of the estate, Chris - it was vast and sprawling, with burnt-out houses, gardens full of old cookers and mattresses - you know the sort of thing. 

It certainly opened my tender, somewhat sheltered, 30 year-old eyes!!

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8728 posts

POPULAR

I can't honestly remember the name of the estate, Chris - it was vast and sprawling, with burnt-out houses, gardens full of old cookers and mattresses - you know the sort of thing. 

Think you described Buttershaw to a tee Kev!...... :hug:

It hasn't got any better!.... :frantic:

• Kev5 likes this

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 10509 posts

Current mood: Sad

POPULAR

Spent a good hour looking for a couple of tyres for the Vitara....
In the end decided on the Bridgestone duellers which are standard fit rather than some huge 'chunky jobbies' got the best price at MCC Bradford, :eek: where I bought my last tyres, and got 1st class service....

So, best make sure the passport and vaccinations are up to date!.....Wish me luck for Saturday!.....LOL!! :giggle:

GASP!!! ... BRADFORD??? :eek:

I used to overnight in Bradford when I wuz a boy coach driver :)

In a private...er...residence. On a vast council estate. In a very friendly, but desperately run-down home. Some of the kids had never seen cows in fields.

The folk I stayed with were running a group called 'Gingerbread Kids' - an organisation for under privileged children. Some of the kids had never seen cows in fields.

I would bus them down to Devon for a week at a Christian Outreach Centre, which was great :thumbsup:

To say it was 'interesting' would be an understatement. As I said, the folk were very friendly, but they lived in appalling conditions.

The guy in charge would not let me sleep in my coach because he said I would be broken into and mugged!! :eek:

I must say though, I have never known such hospitable people in all my life. We stayed in touch by letter for years after I finished with that job, such was the kind nature of those folk.

That was 1983. I often wonder where they all are now...
I used to help out many different schools when I was younger, before A levels and stuff.

I once took a group of small people to visit Twycross Zoo. The biggest response from the children was on the coach on the way there. We left from an estate in Sandwell that had a Fair bit in common with Bradford by the sound of it. You certainly tried to leave before dark. Half way there, I could hear much shouting and see excited pointing.
“Those clouds have legs!!!!!!”
The clouds of course were in the fields eating the grass. They had no idea what sheep were!
  • Kev5, TracyB, Qu1ckn1ck and 2 others like this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Must be wheel mania or something in the air this week.

Dropped the Civic off to have its wheels refurbed, company was doing a deal for July coming out of lockdown £300 inc VAT tyres off, full refurb, tyres back on and balance  :rolleyes: 
So - I took two for one and left Itchy's BBS alloys in the boot for him to do as well, these include acid dip, coat and lacquer then aqua blast the centre caps paint to match and lacquer with the black BBS centre masked - the Civic I get back tomorrow, :skip: just in time for our holiday to Wye and Cornwall via Soton - the BBS sometime in August on our return :giggle: 
I had been offered to get the BBS done elsewhere with the lips diamond cut, advice from the guy doing them locally is that diamond cutting may not last more than 9 months and we agree on not removing metal from BBS so I will compromise on painting all the wheels bright sparkle silver.  The other lad had declined to attempt to diamond cut the spoke faces anyway as they are too narrow so half the effect was going to be lost  :(  :( 
Here's hoping they are as good as his reputation :D  :D

Attached Thumbnails

• sm - IMG_20200722_1524411.jpg
  • sm - IMG_20200722_1525452.jpg
  • sm - IMG_20200722_1517121.jpg
  • sm - IMG_20200722_1517222.jpg
  • sm - IMG_20200722_1517343.jpg

• MJL, Kev5 and Garffey like this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Well folks - the results are in - I've weighed up the looks and votes and it's a YES - worth getting the wheels done
£300 (cough - well spent ! !   :giggle:  :giggle: )
Now to wipe off the crud they acquired on the drive home and apply a couple of coats of Poorboys wheel polish - that should keep them looking nice
Next grt OKO pre-puncture sealant re-installed tomorrow then let Mrs loose on the inside with the Dyson so that I can wash and polish the outside before going away  :skip:  :bye:  :bye:

More on BBS when I get them back in August - off to socially distance view drool over/tyre kick/ compare Itchy with an ex colleague's newly acquired NBFL on Saturday, (it's silver :nah:  :nah: ) he got his wheels done same place as these earlier in the week.

Attached Thumbnails

• sm07 - OSR After1.jpg
  • sm08 - Spoke detail after2.jpg

• Ali5, Kev5, bill119 and 1 other like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8728 posts

POPULAR

As the weather forecast for Saturday isn't good, thought I'd make a start this afternoon fitting my latest purchases to the Vitara.....

20200724_185137 (1280x733).jpg

So, as you'll see I've fitted rain/wind deflectors, and 'side bars'...woooo!

Deflectors were fitted in no time... the side bars around 3 hours!....And involved much 'cussing'. :mad:

I fitted the step/bar mounting brackets to the underside of the car after tapping out the holes already in the chassis and cills as per the diagram, but however I tried the front brackets were a good inch away from meeting the welded bracket on the steps/bars, but with some longer bolts, and brute force and ignorace!  :giggle:  I got them to fit.

On the instruction leaflet was a tiny picture, showing front and rear brackets, on closer inspection it was the complete opposite way to the diagram! so the front two brackets are on the wrong sides of the car!....and as a result are the inch further back than required!

Anyway, 'sod it'... they are on and maybe one dry day I'll put them on the correct way around!  :hug:

I was also amazed how clean and generally rust free the underside of the car was considering it's 11 years old, compared to some I've seen, and just how much factory undersealing had gone on underneath compared to my previous Vitara....A big  :thumbsup: to Suzuki!

• Kev5 and Itchy-RS like this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Got bored of cleaning Mrs jazz with the DA, which I have had for a while but never used.
You have to hone your skills / learn somewhere and best not on your own one    :giggle:  :giggle: 
Anyway started a test area of the bonnet last night, sounded like sandpaper when you drew a duster over it, pillar box red, last saw polish about 5 years ago - before she bought it  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 
Much improved probably added £1k to its value - the rest can wait till we get back from holiday.
Reason for giving up - the bloody midges were hungry  ::help:  ::help: 

So this morning retrieved Itchy, quick wash and chamois then of to meet ex colleague - who has just acquired his first car, NBFL - no rust, well first appearance on OSR arch - 51k one owner 1.8 Sport - very very nice car  :hug:  :hug:
Question for you all - what are the membership criteria for this sanctum ?

Would it be acceptable to introduce him to this small haven of troll free sanity rather than leave him in the sharks pool of MX5 OC on FB.

Attached Thumbnails

• sm - 001 - Rules with Mike Rawes MX5 01 - Fisherrow01.jpg
  • sm - 002 - Rules with Mike Rawes MX5 02 - Fisherrow02.jpg
  • sm - 003 - Rules with Mike Rawes MX5 03 - Fisherrow03.jpg

• Ali5, Mark, Kev5 and 2 others like this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Well Rules done got home and decided to treat Itchy to some TLC  :giggle: 
Poorboys EX glaze followed by a layer of Poorboys Nattys paste  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 
Pictures show the lad with the glaze on then buffed up.
I then got brave and took a small cordless drill with a headlamp repair pad on and some SSR2.5 to the door mirrors which the lad who machine polished it forgot about - wow - transformation.
Last job was some Poorboys wheel polish to the OEM RS alloys which are now on following refurb - and not half bad they look  :nod:  :nod: 
Then before putting him away till we get back from Cornwall I decided I needed some photos with the work done and the RS alloys on - piccies follow 

Not bad example of the breed - even if I say so myself - really like the simplicity of the wheels and the boot rack I think adds something to it.
Next job list - find out why both electric window stopped working at the same time, get the HT latches marked up and fitted, then hopefull get a washer to the A/C leak - as hopefully that is all it is, there being a load of gunge forming round the manifold block on the condenser 

Sorry about the number of piccies - can't stop smiling every time I see him What do you think  :bye:  :bye:  :bye: 
Time for  :beer:  :beer: 

Attached Thumbnails

• sm - 004 - Itchy with Poorboys Ex on04.jpg
  • sm - 005 - Itchy after Poorboys EX buffed05.jpg
  • sm - 006 - NS Mirror before componding06.jpg
  • sm - 007 - NS mirror after compounding07.jpg
  • sm - 008 - Itchy OSF quarter - at Mortonhall08.jpg
  • sm - 009 - Itchy NSF quarter - at Mortonhall09.jpg
  • sm - 010 - Itchy OS  - at Mortonhall10.jpg
  • sm - 011 - Itchy OSF quarter from above - at Mortonhall11.jpg
  • sm - 013 - Itchy OSR quarter - at Mortonhall13.jpg
  • sm - 015 - From rear open - at Mortonhall15.jpg

• Ali5, Mark, MJL and 6 others like this

Ali5

Ali5

Unicorn finder

• Administrators
  • 10509 posts

Current mood: Sad

POPULAR

Got bored of cleaning Mrs jazz with the DA, which I have had for a while but never used.
You have to hone your skills / learn somewhere and best not on your own one :giggle: :giggle:
Anyway started a test area of the bonnet last night, sounded like sandpaper when you drew a duster over it, pillar box red, last saw polish about 5 years ago - before she bought it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Much improved probably added £1k to its value - the rest can wait till we get back from holiday.
Reason for giving up - the bloody midges were hungry ::help: ::help:

So this morning retrieved Itchy, quick wash and chamois then of to meet ex colleague - who has just acquired his first car, NBFL - no rust, well first appearance on OSR arch - 51k one owner 1.8 Sport - very very nice car :hug: :hug:
Question for you all - what are the membership criteria for this sanctum ?
Would it be acceptable to introduce him to this small haven of troll free sanity rather than leave him in the sharks pool of MX5 OC on FB.

Definitely! More the merrier!
  • Itchy-RS likes this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 16115 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Good work, Neil!  :thumbsup:

• Itchy-RS likes this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 35086 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

Took the Ford Puma in for it's annual service and MOT.  Glad to say it has passed !

• Mark, Kev5, TracyB and 2 others like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 35086 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

116698945_3082543868524971_8379986375429116239407_3082544771858214_2551646853159116434786_3082516405194384_3410909361980The radio in our low mileage and very original Ford Puma had stopped working and it is difficult to obtain the correct replacement Ford 6006E radio/CD player in silver to match the rest of the instrument facia. I cannibalised my faulty unit to fit the front silver control panel and the rear mounting bracket to a working but damaged black unit - Success !

• Ali5, Mark, MJL and 4 others like this

steveh

steveh

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 5263 posts

Current mood: Angelic

Looks pretty good. Yesterday I was on my way to BBR @ Brackley for a service and MOT. Just driving along on the outskirts of Peterborough, top down, sunny skies- great. Windscreen got hit by a stone, mile later there's a crack 6 inches long - turned round came home. I'll try again next week.

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8957 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

Tis a bugger Steve. I have a chip in mine that was repaired a few years back but I have a sneaky suspicion it's just starting to propogate.

Please give Neil my regards when you get there.

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11349 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Current mood: Happy

POPULAR

Well Rules done got home and decided to treat Itchy to some TLC  :giggle: 
Poorboys EX glaze followed by a layer of Poorboys Nattys paste  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 
Pictures show the lad with the glaze on then buffed up.
I then got brave and took a small cordless drill with a headlamp repair pad on and some SSR2.5 to the door mirrors which the lad who machine polished it forgot about - wow - transformation.
Last job was some Poorboys wheel polish to the OEM RS alloys which are now on following refurb - and not half bad they look  :nod:  :nod: 
Then before putting him away till we get back from Cornwall I decided I needed some photos with the work done and the RS alloys on - piccies follow 

Not bad example of the breed - even if I say so myself - really like the simplicity of the wheels and the boot rack I think adds something to it.
Next job list - find out why both electric window stopped working at the same time, get the HT latches marked up and fitted, then hopefull get a washer to the A/C leak - as hopefully that is all it is, there being a load of gunge forming round the manifold block on the condenser 

Sorry about the number of piccies - can't stop smiling every time I see him What do you think  :bye:  :bye:  :bye: 
Time for  :beer:  :beer: 

Wow! Itchy the car looks as beautiful as an NB ought to! Good work.  :inlove: 

• Kev5 and Itchy-RS like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8728 posts

POPULAR

Decided to give the ND a long overdue bath.....

At least it'll look good under the new West-Yorkshire lockdown!  :mad:

• Kev5 likes this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 8957 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

I ordered a set of side indicators from Jass Performance, they may not be to everybody's taste but I'll give them a go, I'd imagine they will make the side indicators much more visible.

side_indicator_black_Jass_MX5_1-600x600.jpg

• Ali5, Jono and Kev5 like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8728 posts

POPULAR

Did an oil/filter change on a friends 1.4 Vauxhall Corsa.... :frantic:

Apparently her 'Mechanic' had told her it wasn't due a change, but the clattery top end told me otherwise, had to use a long bar to undo the sump plug! ....And the old filter looked like it was on the verge of collapse.

The fact it now no longer sounds like a diesel engine was proof enough it needed doing for me, the stench of petrol in the oil also a 'giveaway'....yes, it's used very little and does mainly short journeys...

'Mechanics' eh?.... :eek:

• Kev5 and Shadgrind like this

Wrangler

Wrangler

Token Yank

• Premium Member
  • 20242 posts
  • LocationRenville, Minnesota

Current mood: Mellow

POPULAR

We had a light rain this afternoon, so I put the top up and backed the Mazda out of the garage and gave it a rainwater wash. My absolute best way to wash a car. 

• Kev5 and Qu1ckn1ck like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)