What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring) - Page 617 - MX5 & General Car Chat - mx5life.com

Photo

What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring)

• Please log in to reply
12335 replies to this topic

rimx5ch

rimx5ch

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 105 posts
  • Locationderbyshire dales

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

all ive done today is been  to work got back and put my new stickers on and waterproofed the hood  and thats it 

All - I would suggest that's a fairly arduous productive day - take a day off my fine fellow  :giggle:  :giggle:

might have a day off monday but who knows  lol

• Pat likes this

rimx5ch

rimx5ch

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 105 posts
  • Locationderbyshire dales

POPULAR

got the brakes gone today as thy was sticking abit so renew the pads and calipers  all ive got to do is wax oil  the under side of the car

• Ali5, Pat and Kev5 like this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Sorry, not really car related but mmm transport related.
Well more what I will do on Saturday - swap the Blue Beast's (it's what's in the pictures) very hard wearing but very slippy Schwalbe's for these two :giggle: :giggle:
Bit like swapping AD08R's for RS5s on Itchy but in reverse :bye:

Attached Thumbnails

• 005 - How many tyres sm.jpg
  • Riese Muller - The Blue Beast - Loanhead.jpg

Edited by Itchy-RS, 04 September 2020 - 08:39 AM.

• Kev5 likes this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 16174 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

POPULAR

Well more what I will do on Saturday - swap the Blue Beast's very hard wearing but very slippy Schwalbe's for these two  :giggle:  :giggle: 
Bit like swapping AD08R's for RS5s on Itchy but in reverse  :bye:

(Heh! heh! I had to get that translated, but hey - I'm in darkest North Devon and don't get out much! :giggle:)

• bill119, Steveti and Garffey like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8770 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

While having a little rummage around the engine bay of the Vitara, thought I'd check the air filter, on my recently (March according to the service book) dealer serviced car. :unsure:

After a brief look thought I best replace it....

Serpentine belt was also 'squeaking' a bit and within the mileage where it should be replaced...

So thought I'd also chuck some plugs in also while I was at it.

The engine oil was very clean.

Think the air filter was well overdue a change!!....Really couldn't believe the state of it once I got it out! 

20200830_115138 (960x1280).jpg

Serpentine belt wasn't cracked/perished but the sides had worn down to the cord underneath, guess that was the cause of the squeak as it's all quiet now!

20200830_115213 (1280x960).jpg

And the plug gaps were big enough to crawl through!....Certainly looked like they had done the mileage!

20200830_115251 (876x1280).jpg

Quality servicing eh?  :mad:

Needless to say the car feels a bit 'peppier' afterwards....and took less than an hour.

I also fitted a 'Yatour' music changer to allow me to play music through a USB/sd card/or i-pod (I'd bought this last week as I decided not to switch out the head unit).

I then went and booked the ND in for it's M.O.T. on the 10th.

Quite a busy day so far!.... :nod:

• Ali5, MJL, Kev5 and 2 others like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 35460 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

I have just booked my ND in for a service, and it hasn't done 1000 miles yet !

I might ask for the old oil back in a can .....

• Ali5, MJL, bill119 and 1 other like this

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11376 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Current mood: Happy

POPULAR

SORRY, NICK, 

I missed the important announcement.

CONGRATULATIONS ON ANOTHER SPORTS CAR!

• Qu1ckn1ck likes this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

• Premium Member
  • 35460 posts

POPULAR

SORRY, NICK, 

I missed the important announcement.

CONGRATULATIONS ON ANOTHER SPORTS CAR!

... not a new one now as I actually collected her last October.  Unfortunately, largely because of lockdown, she was put at the back of the garage and left unused ever since. 

• MJL likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8770 posts

Dropped the ND off at 8.30 for M.O.T....... :unsure:

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

• Premium Member
  • 35460 posts

POPULAR

Good luck,  I am sure she will pass with flying colours .....    :)

• Garffey likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8770 posts

POPULAR

Just checked on DVLA .....It's a pass!! (no advisories)...19,781 miles on the clock.  :skip: (4380 Miles in my 2 year ownership! ). 

• Mark, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 1 other like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 16174 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

POPULAR

Just checked on DVLA .....It's a pass!! (no advisories)...19,781 miles on the clock.  :skip: (4380 Miles in my 2 year ownership! ). 

Good news, Chris!  :thumbsup:  :)

At nearly 20,000 miles you are lucky not to have evidence of rear bush wear. Long may that continue  :nod:

Can I assume that the roads that your ND has been driven on are a little less holed, ridged and rutted than in some other parts of the country? I personally know of three NDs in Devon which have had rear hub-carriers replaced around the 20,000 mile mark, yet others (ND Owner's Group on Facebook) have covered higher mileages with no apparent problems (yet!)

Poor TeeVee has been bounced, bashed and rattled on the dreadfully broken roads in our county since May of last year. Prior to me having the car it was driven around The Midlands, so maybe it's a bit rough up there too? I can't think of any other factor why certain cars are more affected than others.

• Ali5 and Garffey like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8770 posts

POPULAR

At nearly 20,000 miles you are lucky not to have evidence of rear bush wear. Long may that continue  :nod:

Can I assume that the roads that your ND has been driven on are a little less holed, ridged and rutted than in some other parts of the country? I personally know of three NDs in Devon which have had rear hub-carriers replaced around the 20,000 mile mark, yet others (ND Owner's Group on Facebook) have covered higher mileages with no apparent problems (yet!)

Poor TeeVee has been bounced, bashed and rattled on the dreadfully broken roads in our county since May of last year. Prior to me having the car it was driven around The Midlands, so maybe it's a bit rough up there too? I can't think of any other factor why certain cars are more affected than others.

To be fair Kev, the mileage done in the ND has been mainly when me and wifey have been away for holidays/breaks, with the odd day out thrown in, and with the exception of trips to Wales/Southport (mainly motorway) it's been driven on decent roads I'd say....A lot of the mileage done in North Yorks where the roads are decent too.

Just the odd sunny day has seen me take a commute to work! (but I know the pot holes well in my local area!)....That said I haven't 'cossetted' the car either, I like to 'drive' it.

To be fair it's been less trouble than some of the NC's, (and they weren't bad, excepting 4 wheel alignment, rattling roof & tyres and discs at 18,000) and only thing I've bought for it (apart from service) is a set of wiper blades and an MP3 Player!

It was the local Perrys where the car is serviced that suggested 'slight play' in the bushes.....Or they were 'touting' for work!!?  o_OO_o  Which is odd as they don't usually, unlike some places I could mention.

At service time they also mentioned corrosion on the discs (no mention on M.O.T).

Not that Perrys would get the job anyway....I'm pretty good at stuff like that myself, and knowing they'd want around £200/£250 per axle set, I'll do it myself thanks!

I'm sure it'll be fine for the next 6/12 months, when I might look to either exchange or hand it back!  :unsure:

• Kev5 and Qu1ckn1ck like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

• Premium Member
  • 35460 posts

POPULAR

To be fair Kev, the mileage done in the ND has been mainly when me and wifey have been away for holidays/breaks, with the odd day out thrown in, and with the exception of trips to Wales/Southport (mainly motorway) it's been driven on decent roads I'd say....A lot of the mileage done in North Yorks where the roads are decent too.

Just the odd sunny day has seen me take a commute to work! (but I know the pot holes well in my local area!)....That said I haven't 'cossetted' the car either, I like to 'drive' it.

To be fair it's been less trouble than some of the NC's, (and they weren't bad, excepting 4 wheel alignment, rattling roof & tyres and discs at 18,000) and only thing I've bought for it (apart from service) is a set of wiper blades and an MP3 Player!

It was the local Perrys where the car is serviced that suggested 'slight play' in the bushes.....Or they were 'touting' for work!!?  o_OO_o  Which is odd as they don't usually, unlike some places I could mention.

At service time they also mentioned corrosion on the discs (no mention on M.O.T).

Not that Perrys would get the job anyway....I'm pretty good at stuff like that myself, and knowing they'd want around £200/£250 per axle set, I'll do it myself thanks!

I'm sure it'll be fine for the next 6/12 months, when I might look to either exchange or hand it back!  :unsure:

Great news Chris    :skip: 

• Garffey likes this

Wrangler

Wrangler

Token Yank

• Premium Member
  • 20482 posts
  • LocationRenville, Minnesota

Current mood: Mellow

POPULAR

Joined a few members of our car club for a 150 mile cruise of a portion of the Yellowstone Trail. The Yellowstone Trail is the main highway running thru Renville, and heads to Yellowstone National Park. It is one of the Historic roadways now remembered and celebrated. It rain a good portion of the trip, but we drove top down because we could keep the speed up on our straight rural roads. 

• Ali5, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 1 other like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 8770 posts

Joined a few members of our car club for a 150 mile cruise of a portion of the Yellowstone Trail. The Yellowstone Trail is the main highway running thru Renville, and heads to Yellowstone National Park. It is one of the Historic roadways now remembered and celebrated. It rain a good portion of the trip, but we drove top down because we could keep the speed up on our straight rural roads. 

Very nice Dennis....

I watched Henry Cole on TV a couple of days ago on a program called 'The Worlds greatest Motorcyle rides'  and he was going through Yellowstone, a stunning looking place.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users