What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring) - Page 623 - MX5 & General Car Chat - mx5life.com

Photo

What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring)

• Please log in to reply
12451 replies to this topic

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

So as usual bit of pig ignorance and brute force overcame all obstacles :-)
Usually works here too  ::help:  ::help:

• Garffey likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9049 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Fine

So as usual bit of pig ignorance and brute force overcame all obstacles :-)
Usually works here too  ::help:  ::help:

Yes!.... :hug:

Steeee

Steeee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

POPULAR

Polished the headlights earlier and went for a drive with the roof down it was 10degrees earlier

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9049 posts

POPULAR

Well (yesterday).....Not me, but Mrs G!

I rang her at work to inform her an Item she'd ordered had arrived and was due for collection at the local Sainsbury's.

"Ok" she said...we passed 5 minutes chatting.

Then she said, "I think I've got a puncture"...

"Oh yes?"....I replied.

"The steering felt funny" she went on.

"And you've waited till now to tell me?"

Can't say I was best pleased receiving this news at  9.45am when I'm due at work at 12.00...

"I'll come over" I said....Knowing that the task to get the tyre repaired (if it could be) was going to be uphill!

So, Vitara suitably loaded with tools I headed for work.....To discover this!  :frantic:

20210112_111153.jpg

Eventually Mrs G admitted she may have hit a 'pothole'.... :eek: ....Then finally admitted she'd clipped a kerb edge of a lay-by on the way to work!

Lets just say, I politely suggested she may drive with her eyes open in future!!  :mad:

Anyway my anger wasn't going to get it repaired.....and neither was a bottle of 'gunk' and a compressor!

I removed the wheel and drove around to the nearest tyre fitting place, only to find it was closed due to covid-19 amongst the staff!

ATS was the next nearest, but the chap just rolled his eyes and said it couldn't be repaired (really helpful)...

Third attempt was a small little garage that does part worn tyres, who were very helpful and managed to fit a tyre, keep it air tight and balanced so she could get home and we didn't have to leave the CX-3 on three legs in the works car park!

Anyway....Moving on, a wheel has been sourced (£80) and new tyre will be fitted when it arrives, Mrs G has a decent record having never done anything like this on any of her previous cars, and she's had a few now!....I explained, that had she told me what happened I may just have been a tad less annoyed, but 'puncture' didn't really cover it!  :nah:

The things we do for the other half!..... :banghead:

And I wasn't late for work!.... :thumbsup:  :nod:

• Itchy-RS likes this

JennyR

JennyR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

POPULAR

Not just work, Chris.

That must've hurt, you being a Yorksheer man n all.

It must be love. ;)
  • Garffey likes this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 16420 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Well done, Chris, these things are sent to try us - like we need 'trying'!! - but glad t'missus is ok though. I'll bet she took ages to pluck up the courage to tell you!  :unsure: Although it proves beyond any doubt that these things can and will happen to the best of us  :hug:

Is that wheel beyond repair? I'm just wondering if a decent wheel refurbishing company could straighten it up, if it's not too far gone.

• Garffey likes this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 36756 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

That could certainly be repaired and perhaps used as a spare which is what I did when I wiped out two wheels on my NC many years ago.

• Pat, Kev5 and Garffey like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9049 posts

POPULAR

Well done, Chris, these things are sent to try us - like we need 'trying'!! - but glad t'missus is ok though. I'll bet she took ages to pluck up the courage to tell you!  :unsure: Although it proves beyond any doubt that these things can and will happen to the best of us  :hug:

Is that wheel beyond repair? I'm just wondering if a decent wheel refurbishing company could straighten it up, if it's not too far gone.

That could certainly be repaired and perhaps used as a spare which is what I did when I wiped out two wheels on my NC many years ago.

Yes, as long as she's safe all's well!... Have already had quotes of 'Not repairable' from two local wheel repair 'experts'...Personally, I think its repairable, it's not buckled, holds air with the new tyre, and no wobble on the steering....once the new one arrives, I'll ask again, and use as a spare.  :nod:

• Pat, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 2 others like this

Itchy-RS

Itchy-RS

Itchy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationEH16 6PH

POPULAR

Well (yesterday).....Not me, but Mrs G!

I rang her at work to inform her an Item she'd ordered had arrived and was due for collection at the local Sainsbury's.

"Ok" she said...we passed 5 minutes chatting.

Then she said, "I think I've got a puncture"...

"Oh yes?"....I replied.

"The steering felt funny" she went on.

"And you've waited till now to tell me?"

Can't say I was best pleased receiving this news at  9.45am when I'm due at work at 12.00...

"I'll come over" I said....Knowing that the task to get the tyre repaired (if it could be) was going to be uphill!

So, Vitara suitably loaded with tools I headed for work.....To discover this!  :frantic:

attachicon.gif20210112_111153.jpg

Eventually Mrs G admitted she may have hit a 'pothole'.... :eek: ....Then finally admitted she'd clipped a kerb edge of a lay-by on the way to work!

Lets just say, I politely suggested she may drive with her eyes open in future!!  :mad:

Anyway my anger wasn't going to get it repaired.....and neither was a bottle of 'gunk' and a compressor!

I removed the wheel and drove around to the nearest tyre fitting place, only to find it was closed due to covid-19 amongst the staff!

ATS was the next nearest, but the chap just rolled his eyes and said it couldn't be repaired (really helpful)...

Third attempt was a small little garage that does part worn tyres, who were very helpful and managed to fit a tyre, keep it air tight and balanced so she could get home and we didn't have to leave the CX-3 on three legs in the works car park!

Anyway....Moving on, a wheel has been sourced (£80) and new tyre will be fitted when it arrives, Mrs G has a decent record having never done anything like this on any of her previous cars, and she's had a few now!....I explained, that had she told me what happened I may just have been a tad less annoyed, but 'puncture' didn't really cover it!  :nah:

The things we do for the other half!..... :banghead:

And I wasn't late for work!.... :thumbsup:  :nod:

The things we do  :giggle:  :giggle: 
The pickles we end up in  :giggle:  :giggle: another of those kerbs and trees that jumps out in front of cars - shocking behaviour  ::help: 
Ah well - loves little trials  :hug:  :hug: - at least the CX is back home and repairable with a new wheel had it been the 5 it could have been a track arm or worse that bent - they don't like kerbs I am assured, never intend finding out  :nah:  :nah:

Edited by Itchy-RS, 14 January 2021 - 05:45 PM.

• Pat, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 2 others like this

David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

POPULAR

I whipped the scuttle panels off and sealed those troublesome little inserts.....best be safe (and watertight) than sorry.
  • Ali5, Pat, Kev5 and 3 others like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9049 posts

POPULAR

Took the Cx-3 back to the garage to have the 'New' wheel I bought fitted.

Was going to have the os/front tyre replaced to match the newest one I had fitted after the damage, sadly he's not got one in stock, but will ring me when he has one.

I'll then have a half-worn Yokohama tyre to fit on the (hopefully) refurbished wheel, so will use it as a spare

• Pat, Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and 1 other like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9049 posts

POPULAR

Just been out to start and run the ND.....it failed to start!  :(  :cry:....I have been starting and running it up to temperature every couple of weeks, but really it hasn't been anywhere since the middle of October, since they started gritting the roads.

A quick check of the battery with the voltmeter showed 11.7 volts....

I whipped off the battery and stuck it on the c-tek 5.0 and let it do it's stuff, after 15 minutes I had three amber lights (but plenty to go as it cycled) and a showing of 13.4 volts.

As a point of interest I thought I'd check the old battery I still have off my 20th Ae, (which looks identical to the one on the ND!) and despite that being stood for more than 27 months was showing 12.4 volts! (which surprised me as the Panasonic battery isn't considered up to much).

As I've only about 20 months left with the ND I don't think I'll be bothering with a new battery..... :nah:

Bugger..... o_OO_o

• Kev5 and JennyR like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users