What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring) - Page 626 - MX5 & General Car Chat - mx5life.com

Photo

What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring)

• Please log in to reply
12568 replies to this topic

badman

badman

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 28281 posts
  • LocationBaddly Manor

Current mood: Worried

POPULAR

Look on the bright side.

It could have been a lot worse than just the belt, Chris.
  • Garffey likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Fine

POPULAR

Look on the bright side.

It could have been a lot worse than just the belt, Chris.

Yes, suppose it could Tim....It still had some water in the radiator, and the oils cleanish, with no 'mayo' and it cranks over allbiet slowly, as the battery was almost flat.

New alternator is £77 plus a new connector £8.99 (wire snapped off trying to take it off) new belt and fingers crossed it lives again..... :popcorn:

• MJL, badman and Paulo like this

Paulo

Paulo

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 739 posts

Current mood: Relaxed

POPULAR

Lucky escape in some respects Chris, how long have you had the Vitara and has it been reliable. I'm on my 2nd one at the moment, its a 2018 ZS5 allgrip. Its the 1.4 booster jet petrol. My last one was a 1.6 and i would have kept it but wanted a 4x4 version. 

• MJL and Garffey like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

Lucky escape in some respects Chris, how long have you had the Vitara and has it been reliable. 

I'm on my third one now Paulo!....the one I'm fixing I had for a good 3 years and apart from routine servicing never cost me much, (just breezed the M.O.T again) I had one (a Mk1) many years ago and that too was totally reliable except for the pain of having to get out and switch the HUBs over for 4 wheel drive!!

The present 2.0 one I've had over 12 months now and while its cost me some money with bits and pieces tyres/brakes and a chrome kit /window tinting I love it, with bags of room and a comfy driving position.....being auto the economy suffers though...but I've had worse!!

I did look at the newest 'Allgrip' version but a good bit out of budget at the moment....Would you recommend?.... I'm not 100% convinced of the longevity of the 'Booster-jet' engines yet so would plump for a 1.6 petrol.....

• MJL likes this

Paulo

Paulo

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 739 posts

POPULAR

Lucky escape in some respects Chris, how long have you had the Vitara and has it been reliable. 

I'm on my third one now Paulo!....the one I'm fixing I had for a good 3 years and apart from routine servicing never cost me much, (just breezed the M.O.T again) I had one (a Mk1) many years ago and that too was totally reliable except for the pain of having to get out and switch the HUBs over for 4 wheel drive!!

The present 2.0 one I've had over 12 months now and while its cost me some money with bits and pieces tyres/brakes and a chrome kit /window tinting I love it, with bags of room and a comfy driving position.....being auto the economy suffers though...but I've had worse!!

I did look at the newest 'Allgrip' version but a good bit out of budget at the moment....Would you recommend?.... I'm not 100% convinced of the longevity of the 'Booster-jet' engines yet so would plump for a 1.6 petrol.....

The 1.6 was a good motor, but the 1.4 Turbo booster jet is better again, effortless in comparison. You had to rev the 1.6 sometimes to make progress. I like the SZ5, you have various drive settings, Auto, Sport, Snow, and full diff lock. Its comfortable, plenty of room inside and it has great handling, especially on country B roads, very little body roll. Its not in the German SUV quality bracket, but nor is its price. good load space as well. I haven't tried the latest  Hybrid versions so i can't comment on them.

• MJL and Garffey like this

Paulo

Paulo

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 739 posts

POPULAR

Had the 5 in for a service and MOT today and it passed with flying colours. No previsors, Im well pleased because its been sorned since last July.  

• Ali5, Mark, MJL and 6 others like this

boxerdog1

boxerdog1

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3791 posts
  • LocationIllogan, West Cornwall.

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

Had the 5 in for a service and MOT today and it passed with flying colours. No previsors, Im well pleased because its been sorned since last July.  

Never in doubt Paulo , just one glance probably done it   :)

• MJL, Qu1ckn1ck, Garffey and 1 other like this

Wrangler

Wrangler

Token Yank

• Premium Member
  • 21899 posts
  • LocationRenville, Minnesota

Current mood: Mellow

POPULAR

Went for a top down drive to get ice cream at a Dairy Queen drive thru. 

• Ali5, Mark, MJL and 4 others like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 37765 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

Went for a top down drive to get ice cream at a Dairy Queen drive thru. 

.... always amazed at how your weather swings from one extreme of temperature to the other in such a short time, Dennis !

• MJL, bill119, Garffey and 1 other like this

Wrangler

Wrangler

Token Yank

• Premium Member
  • 21899 posts
  • LocationRenville, Minnesota

Current mood: Mellow

POPULAR

This time it was not a weather swing, it was the MK3 heater and seat heaters. A common expression here is, if you don't like the weather, wait an hour. 

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

Got the daughters boyfriends Vitara up and running again, bit of fiddling required to get the alternator in place, but with belts re-fitted and battery on it started first turn....and only a small top up of coolant was required....lucky lad!

So fixed the broken rear door handle and did an oil/filter change while I was about it.

Hopefully he'll take a little more care in future!!... :unsure:

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

Spent the afternoon in the 'mancave' checking over the 'Firestorm' in preparation for taking it to M.O.T during the easter break sometime.

• Pat and Kev5 like this

David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

POPULAR

Went out for a drive with my mate in the beautiful spring sunshine.
The first and the last NC models together.

A3011667-8-FC1-4-A8-B-AA0-C-EABC28-F7-D3

1-F4-B9-ACD-D69-A-4-A3-A-B3-C5-910560-BC

55-C5820-F-C05-D-4-C11-9073-BF676330885-

MJL

MJL

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 11550 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Current mood: Happy

POPULAR

Those are great photographs, David. :thumbsup: 

They look like deeply loved cars.  :wub2: 

• Pat and Kev5 like this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 40116 posts

Current mood: Thinking

POPULAR

Went out for a drive with my mate in the beautiful spring sunshine.
The first and the last NC models together.

A3011667-8-FC1-4-A8-B-AA0-C-EABC28-F7-D3

1-F4-B9-ACD-D69-A-4-A3-A-B3-C5-910560-BC

55-C5820-F-C05-D-4-C11-9073-BF676330885-

Great pics David

POTM entries me think  :D

• Kev5, Qu1ckn1ck and bill119 like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

Took the ND out for a 'spin'....and ended up in Bridlington for dinner!! ...(A takeaway hot beef sandwich....very nice too!).

Then had a trot up the coast to Filey, nice to see quite a few people about and at last a bit of life in the world.  :thumbsup:

• Mark, Pat, Kev5 and 4 others like this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 40116 posts

Current mood: Thinking

POPULAR

Took the ND out for a 'spin'....and ended up Bridlington for dinner!! ...(A takeaway hot beef sandwich....very nice too!).

Then had a trot up the coast to Filey, nice to see quite a few people about and at last a bit of life in the world.  :thumbsup:

I love that area :)

• Garffey likes this

bill119

bill119

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 12530 posts
  • LocationNorth East Derbyshire

Current mood: Cynical

POPULAR

Took the ND out for a 'spin'....and ended up Bridlington for dinner!! ...(A takeaway hot beef sandwich....very nice too!).

Until I was eighteen I'd only ever been to Skegness or Cleethorpes so I couldn't understand why whenever I saw a picture of the sea it was either blue or green but the only sea that I had ever seen was brown until I was old enough to drive and took the family to Bridlington and it was the first time that I had seen blue sea.

It was so surprising that I just had to go for a swim, in those days they had small rafts tethered in the bay, until whilst swimming out I noticed the unmentionable stuff floating in the water from the sewage, boy oh boy did I swim back quick.

That was in 1965, I think things are a bit different now but it's put me off swimming in the sea.

• Pat and Garffey like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

I love that area :)

Used to always holiday there Pat back in the early 80's....it was the first holiday destination I ever drove to on 'L'plates...

That was in 1965, I think things are a bit different now but it's put me off swimming in the sea.

Yes Bill....Sea is a lot cleaner now, and it was a bit on the rough side yesterday so swimming wasn't an option, just as well coz I didn't have me swimming trunks with me!  :giggle:

• Pat and bill119 like this

David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

POPULAR

Swopped the IL Motorsports coolant tank for a Moroso tank just so that it ‘matches’ the power steering reservoir.

Attached Thumbnails

• 690705EC-96EB-497F-B923-FC8316C1A5C9.jpeg

• Mark, Pat, bill119 and 2 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users