What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring) - Page 627 - MX5 & General Car Chat - mx5life.com

Photo

What I did today. (MX5 and Motoring)

• Please log in to reply
12568 replies to this topic

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts
  • LocationCleckhuddersfax

Current mood: Fine

Got the 'Firestorm' booked for M.O.T at 12.00..... ;)

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............

• Premium Member
  • 37765 posts
  • LocationBaldock, North Herts

Current mood: Busy

POPULAR

Good Luck !

• Garffey likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

Good Luck !

Thanks Nick, nice to get a little 'ride-out' and back home with the pass in pocket before it started drizzling!.... :D

• Ali5, Mark, Pat and 3 others like this

boxerdog1

boxerdog1

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3791 posts
  • LocationIllogan, West Cornwall.

Current mood: Devilish

POPULAR

Got the SLK up on the extendable ramps today and had a proper look in all the nooks and crannies.  All that was required was a wipe over with a damp rag to reveal a fairly factory fresh bottom end .  Given the low mileage of 15000 over past 10 years on mainly dry roads this is not a surprise really.  I'll still treat the hidden cavities to an application of dinitol though ... after all it would be rude not to  :)

WDtDIpOh.jpg

POJoDXYh.jpg

• Mark, Pat, Kev5 and 5 others like this

David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

POPULAR

Fantastic....probably as good as new.
  • Pat, Kev5, boxerdog1 and 1 other like this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 9360 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

Fantastic....probably as good as new.

You beat me to it David, looks as new, stunning.

• Pat, Kev5 and boxerdog1 like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

It's the time of year for me to jump on the 'insurance merry-go round!'.... :confused:

Firestorm renewal, (One call) £95.16....Best other quote Carole Nash £94.91 (but no breakdown cover!!  :confused: ). And there maybe a second bike on the way!, :popcorn: so might need a multi bike policy!

Cx-3 renewal (Churchill) £260.96.... Hasting premier best at £241.29... same cover... :coffee:

Mx-5 renewal (IAM) £254.12....Best other quote (Aviva) £170.61 for same cover!...(I'll be 'avin some of that!!!!!!! :giggle: ).

• Pat, Kev5 and boxerdog1 like this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 40116 posts

Current mood: Thinking

POPULAR

It's the time of year for me to jump on the 'insurance merry-go round!'.... :confused:

Firestorm renewal, (One call) £95.16....Best other quote Carole Nash £94.91 (but no breakdown cover!!  :confused: ). And there maybe a second bike on the way!, :popcorn: so might need a multi bike policy!

Cx-3 renewal (Churchill) £260.96.... Hasting premier best at £241.29... same cover... :coffee:

Mx-5 renewal (IAM) £254.12....Best other quote (Aviva) £170.61 for same cover!...(I'll be 'avin some of that!!!!!!! :giggle: ).

Great results there Chris  :thumbsup:

• Garffey likes this

Steveti

Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus

• Premium Member
  • 9360 posts
  • LocationTweasel town.

Current mood: Balanced

POPULAR

On insurance. How many of us pay for protected NCB?

The reason I ask is that as some of you know Jackie had an at fault bump in the Focus in December last year - Churchill were a bloody nightmare to deal with as they claimed and maintain that I did not inform them of an SP30 ticket picked up in August 2019. I know I did and I also informed my insurers for the GM. At the time it was noted and stated as "no big deal" by both companies. During the claim process with Churchill they went to great lengths at one point to suggest that "as they were not informed of this" they would have to look into things in more depth to see if they could honour the claim - seriously, we were worried that the shysters were going to leave us in the lurch, in the event they demanded that we pay an additional premium or pay a percentage of the claim. We opted to pay the extra premium as there was no way forward with them. Needless to say any member of the Direct Line chain is now boycotted.

Anyway, to the point (the back story is significant though) at point of renewal Churchill came in with some stupid quote, around twice last year's premium, I didn't even query why as we went elsewhere, Aviva as it turns out Chris. The thing being though that despite a protected NCB, with the bump having happened the basic premium went up, expected to a degree on the Focus policy.

Around the same time the insurance came up for the GM and lo and behold the base premium had gone up. Now, Greenlight have been a damn good broker for me with the GM, each and every mod declared to them, and have always sought the best deal from their insurers, the GM has been insured with AGEAS for the last three years and now into the fourth but yes, a £40 loading on the premium due to Jackie's bump and so you are all aware, they had all the details of the bump from the insurance database.

I suppose my point is that is it really worth paying for protected NCB? That was Jackie's first bump/claim in some 33 years of driving and yet we find both insurances with not insignificant increases applied. Greenlight tell me that the claim usually impacts for three years but as licence points stay on the database for four years. It leaves me wondering what the difference would have been by losing the two or three years NCB applied to the base premium or indeed if it would have been a double whammy.

Food for thought on a few levels, if you declare an offence part way through a policy, ask for documentation to confirm they have been informed is a definite takeaway from our experience.

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 40116 posts

POPULAR

Insurance is a law unto itself  :mad:

• Kev5, Steveti and Garffey like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

On insurance. How many of us pay for protected NCB?

The reason I ask is that as some of you know Jackie had an at fault bump in the Focus in December last year - Churchill were a bloody nightmare to deal with as they claimed and maintain that I did not inform them of an SP30 ticket picked up in August 2019. I know I did and I also informed my insurers for the GM. At the time it was noted and stated as "no big deal" by both companies. During the claim process with Churchill they went to great lengths at one point to suggest that "as they were not informed of this" they would have to look into things in more depth to see if they could honour the claim - seriously, we were worried that the shysters were going to leave us in the lurch, in the event they demanded that we pay an additional premium or pay a percentage of the claim. We opted to pay the extra premium as there was no way forward with them. Needless to say any member of the Direct Line chain is now boycotted.

Anyway, to the point (the back story is significant though) at point of renewal Churchill came in with some stupid quote, around twice last year's premium, I didn't even query why as we went elsewhere, Aviva as it turns out Chris. The thing being though that despite a protected NCB, with the bump having happened the basic premium went up, expected to a degree on the Focus policy.

Around the same time the insurance came up for the GM and lo and behold the base premium had gone up. Now, Greenlight have been a damn good broker for me with the GM, each and every mod declared to them, and have always sought the best deal from their insurers, the GM has been insured with AGEAS for the last three years and now into the fourth but yes, a £40 loading on the premium due to Jackie's bump and so you are all aware, they had all the details of the bump from the insurance database.

I suppose my point is that is it really worth paying for protected NCB? That was Jackie's first bump/claim in some 33 years of driving and yet we find both insurances with not insignificant increases applied. Greenlight tell me that the claim usually impacts for three years but as licence points stay on the database for four years. It leaves me wondering what the difference would have been by losing the two or three years NCB applied to the base premium or indeed if it would have been a double whammy.

Food for thought on a few levels, if you declare an offence part way through a policy, ask for documentation to confirm they have been informed is a definite takeaway from our experience.

Yes Steve, I always paid for protected NCB, until a good few years back when I'd had a series of 5 'not at faults', my insurer at the time 'More Than' told me at renewal that I had been 'loaded' due to the amount of incidents I'd been involved with!!....Apparently they considered ME a high risk!

No, I didn't get it either....

So I took my business elsewhere!....it was a bit of a wrench leaving them as they always came up with the goods in timely fashion I felt 'looked after!'.

I was well aware of the 'info-sharing' that goes on amongst companies, not that I'd ever feel the need to be economical with the truth!

I have similar with the IAM I'm insured with, always got me 'price matched' + some, so I never paid more than the comparison sites were offering, somehow with the prices they quoted this time I very much doubt I'll be staying with them.....One thing that really does annoy is that rather than the 'price match' rigmarole just send me the best price in the first place!! 

:mad:  :mad:

• MJL, Kev5 and Steveti like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

• Premium Member
  • 37765 posts

POPULAR

Fired up the GT6 and went for a run in the sun !

175290044_3819848381461179_3096385554551

• Mark, Pat, Kev5 and 4 others like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

After a lovely day in the sun, and watching my football team win (for a change!).....I settled down to a comfy evening.

Wife trotted off to get some petrol so she was ready to collect the lad from work at 8pm.

15 minutes later I get a call to say cars making a funny noise, sounds like exhaust is broken!

I go out to the car as she gets home....checked the fuel receipt.

Yep....she's only gone and put £35 of diesel in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :eek:  :confused:

• Kev5 likes this

Pat

Pat

Away with the fairies

• Administrators
  • 40116 posts

POPULAR

After a lovely day in the sun, and watching my football team win (for a change!).....I settled down to a comfy evening.

Wife trotted off to get some petrol so she was ready to collect the lad from work at 8pm.

15 minutes later I get a call to say cars making a funny noise, sounds like exhaust is broken!

Yep....she's only gone and put £35 of diesel in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :eek:  :confused:

Ooops 

i know someone that did that   :oops:

• Kev5 and Garffey like this

badman

badman

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 28281 posts
  • LocationBaddly Manor

Current mood: Worried

POPULAR

You're not having much luck with cars lately, Chris.

Fan belt, now fuel. Does anything else begin with F?
  • Pat, Kev5, bill119 and 1 other like this

Qu1ckn1ck

Qu1ckn1ck

• Premium Member
  • 37765 posts

POPULAR

Sorry to hear that Chris, hope it can be sorted without too much trouble or expense.

• Kev5 and Garffey like this

Kev5

Kev5

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 16650 posts
  • LocationNorth Devon

Current mood: None chosen

POPULAR

Sorry to hear that, Chris, it's just too easily done, unfortunately. I am surprised she got it home.

Once you have syphoned out the diesel/petrol mixture and refilled with super-unleaded there should be no harm done. Think of it as upper-cylinder lubricant!

Good job it wasn't petrol in a modern diesel - now, that's a different matter! 

• badman, bill119 and Garffey like this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

You're not having much luck with cars lately, Chris.

Fan belt, now fuel. Does anything else begin with F?

Yes Tim, a few things I mentioned at the time when she told me!!!!!!!!!....... :mad:  :mad:

• badman likes this

Garffey

Garffey

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 9366 posts

POPULAR

Sorry to hear that Chris, hope it can be sorted without too much trouble or expense.

Sorry to hear that, Chris, it's just too easily done, unfortunately. I am surprised she got it home.

Once you have syphoned out the diesel/petrol mixture and refilled with super-unleaded there should be no harm done. Think of it as upper-cylinder lubricant!

Thanks Guys...Escaped quite easily really, I rang a local company who came out within the hour siphon off the petrol/diesel mix (she always drive around with a minimum half a tank of petrol!)

https://www.fueldoct... are in the UK.

After putting in another £20 of petrol and half a dozen squirts of easy start, it burst into life....

She then went and took it for a drive and topped up the tank with petrol (sent the grandson to keep his eye on her!.... :nod: )...

So all seems good again, and she took the lad to work early doors....

And you can guess how much that hurt as a Yorkshire man!.... :stomp:  :stomp:

• Mark, Pat, Kev5 and 4 others like this

badman

badman

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 28281 posts
  • LocationBaddly Manor

Current mood: Worried

POPULAR

Yep....she's only gone and put £35 of diesel in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :confused:

Once you have syphoned out the diesel/petrol mixture and refilled with super-unleaded there should be no harm done. Think of it as upper-cylinder lubricant!

Thanks Guys...Escaped quite easily really, I rang a local company who came out within the hour siphon off the petrol/diesel mix (she always drive around with a minimum half a tank of petrol!)
https://www.fueldoct... are in the UK.
After putting in another £20 of petrol and half a dozen squirts of easy start, it burst into life....
She then went and took it for a drive and topped up the tank with petrol (sent the grandson to keep his eye on her!.... :nod: )...
So all seems good again, and she took the lad to work early doors....

And you can guess how much that hurt as a Yorkshire man!.... :stomp: :stomp:
A lot more painful than my 'ead, Chris!
  • Garffey likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users