Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, being new to the world of MX5s I'm not sure on the answer to this question. I am looking to change my alloy wheels and like the ones in the attached photo. Could someone please tell me if they are available in 16" as I thought they were only 17" and don't really want to buy new tyres if I can avoid it.
Also what sort of price could I expect to pay for a used set?
Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
17,004 Posts
Hi Mike,
The wheels you have illustrated are in fact 16" as I used to have them as standard on my 2010 Mk3.5 (NC2). The larger 17" items have more equally spaced spokes.

What model is yours? Please bear in mind that only the NC range has 5 stud attachment.

Sorry, I don't know the price.

Reactions: Ali5

·
Premium Member
17,004 Posts
Mine is a 2009 MK3. I like the standard wheels but prefer the look of the twin spokes.
Ok, that means the wheels of your choice will fit and your tyres will go straight onto them 🙂

If price is not an issue, Mike, why don't you ask your Mazda dealer what they will charge you for four 16" wheels as shown? You can then sell your old wheels on ebay to recover some of the cost. There are also aftermarket options to consider...

Don't forget to post a photo of your car with the new wheels on 😃

Reactions: Ali5

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Kev. Having recently bought a house I can't really justify a new set. Sadly I just missed a set of 17" wheels with tyres at a local breakers (£300), I decided to think about them and someone beat me to it. :mad:

·
Premium Member
17,004 Posts
Just thought, would changing from 16" to 17" wheels affect the speedo reading?
This will largely depend on the tyres - with a larger diameter wheel you'll need lower profile tyres to maintain a similar rolling radius.

[EDIT: I'm not a particular expert on wheels and tyres, but there are one or two members on here who are, so hopefully they'll be along to add some information 🙂]

Reactions: MJL and Monkeypin

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having started off wanting 16" wheels I have just bought some 17" instead. I'll probably replace 2 of the tyres as they are a bit too low on tread for my liking. They ended up costing me £140 so half the price of the first lot I looked at.
Just got to sort the tyres and then I can fit them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that didn't go well. The locking wheel nut key slipped as I was tightening one up and it's wrecked the key :mad: As the car has had a few owners the key number is nowhere to be seen :mad::mad: Now I need to decide if I get another set or just fit standard nuts and not have the same problem again. I can't say I'm a fan of the design of the nut. What do you all think locking or standard?
At least the two wheels I fitted are on the same axle!

·
Premium Member
17,004 Posts
Well that didn't go well. The locking wheel nut key slipped as I was tightening one up and it's wrecked the key :mad: As the car has had a few owners the key number is nowhere to be seen :mad::mad: Now I need to decide if I get another set or just fit standard nuts and not have the same problem again. I can't say I'm a fan of the design of the nut. What do you all think locking or standard?
At least the two wheels I fitted are on the same axle!

View attachment 74791
I hate those awful, clunky security nuts! The first thing I do is throw them away and replace with the original wheel nuts.

Unless you live in the centre of downtown Tijuana, I wouldn't worry too much about wheel theft!

Your wheels will look better too! :)

[PS: A decent tyre fitter will have a tool to remove the security items]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that turned in to a bit of a nightmare. Luckily I work for a motor factor and one of our customers very kindly lent me his wheel nut removal tool. It was the sort that you hammer on and they grip the nut, 3 went well but on the 4th one the socket got stuck and just spun on the nut collar (there was also a lot of blood!!). I then spent half an hour trying to get it off until it got dark and I gave up. Next morning I sprayed it with WD40 before going to work, when I got home I tapped the socket a dozen or so times and nothing happen but as I stepped back the socket gently fell to the ground! I was VERY relieved that I didn't have to tell our customer that I'd got his tool stuck as I would never live it down.
Nut finally off I got 2 new tyres, the wheels are all on and I'm very pleased with the result.
If anyone gets the same problem with their locking nuts I can recommend using a US Pro kit to remove them US PRO Tools Locking Wheel Nut Removal Sockets, (Socket, Alloy Wheels) New 6178 : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

The final result...
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Well that turned in to a bit of a nightmare. Luckily I work for a motor factor and one of our customers very kindly lent me his wheel nut removal tool. It was the sort that you hammer on and they grip the nut, 3 went well but on the 4th one the socket got stuck and just spun on the nut collar (there was also a lot of blood!!). I then spent half an hour trying to get it off until it got dark and I gave up. Next morning I sprayed it with WD40 before going to work, when I got home I tapped the socket a dozen or so times and nothing happen but as I stepped back the socket gently fell to the ground! I was VERY relieved that I didn't have to tell our customer that I'd got his tool stuck as I would never live it down.
Nut finally off I got 2 new tyres, the wheels are all on and I'm very pleased with the result.
If anyone gets the same problem with their locking nuts I can recommend using a US Pro kit to remove them US PRO Tools Locking Wheel Nut Removal Sockets, (Socket, Alloy Wheels) New 6178 : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

The final result...
View attachment 74844
car looks a looks a lot better (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts