Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,595 Posts
Generally very little if the engine is in good condition

Reactions: Qu1ckn1ck

·
Spending the kid's inheritance .............
38,176 Posts
I have owned Mk 2.5 (2), Mk3 and Mk4 and none have ever used any oil but all were either low mileage or new cars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have owned Mk 2.5 (2), Mk3 and Mk4 and none have ever used any oil but all were either low mileage or new cars.
Nice one, thank you for coming back. I am looking at an 07 with history and 40,000 miles. So hopefully all will be ok.
Tommo.

·
Spending the kid's inheritance .............
38,176 Posts
Nice one, thank you for coming back. I am looking at an 07 with history and 40,000 miles. So hopefully all will be ok.
Tommo.
My first MX5 was a 2007 2.0 Sport purchased new. I am afraid it was my least favourite Mazda for handling and gearbox reasons but the engine gave no cause for complaint and used no oil in my ownership. I had basically the same Mazda/Ford engine later in my Ford Fiesta ST and again oil consumption was minimal. However both MX5 and Fiesta ST were certainly not frugal when it came to petrol consumption !

·
Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
17,004 Posts
I must say that the 2010 Mk3.5 NC2 (1.8 MZR motor) that I bought new and kept for 6½ years NEVER used any oil at all (5W30 grade)

However, both of my Mk4 ND models---the first one bought new in 2016 and my current one bought used in 2019---need a small amount of 0W20 grade oil between annual services. My annual mileage is around 8,000 and during that time I add about 400ml. Not a huge amount, but the newer 'Skyactiv' motors do use a little drop in my experience.

Whatever the model you have and regardless of age and mileage, it is absolutely essential to keep the oil level on (but not above) the 'MAX' mark on the dipstick. Remember, all engines can be slightly different in their drinking habits!🍷...I am 'old school' and check all the fluids weekly, but I am aware that some of the modern generation of drivers hardly ever open the bonnet!! By checking under there regularly you might also spot other problems developing, like leaks, or fraying belts, or even the odd birds nest!! 😆

Another thing to bear in mind is that sports cars, by their very nature, do get ragged around twisty roads, so keeping the oil level up to 'MAX' helps to avoid oil-surge in the sump if you really throw it around the bends. I hope this post doesn't offend those of us who know their stuff on here (as most of us do) but there are a number of new members who are also new to the MX-5 so hopefully the above info will avoid those con-rods getting frightened of the dark!! 👍

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for coming back.
I am a little old school in that the bonnet comes up every week and all levels get check, adjusted etc…… Yes, even on my work Ford Transit.
I had a Mercedes 180 Kompresser as a company car a few years ago and it did use a lot of oil. I recall taking it for it’s regular service and the service receptionist ask’s me if there are any problems with the car. I say it does seem to use a lot of oil. The receptionist tell me that Merc. recommend a litre of oil per 1000kms is acceptable. It took me a while to get up off of the floor. My retort…….. I have ‘64 Morris Minor, which may leak a little oil but no way uses (burns) any.

As for petrol, I don’t mind a car using as much or a little of that beverage, but oil should not be touched from one interval to the next. I am not an engineer, but that is my opinion.

·
Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
9,527 Posts
I find virtually no oil use between services despite the heavy mods and often spirited driving but always worth keeping an eye on, as Kev has said many "drivers" today expect the levels to self check or they just wait for a warning light to appear telling them what is needed - old skool rules as far as I'm concerned and weekly fluid & pressure checks are a prerequisite.

Even fuel consumption is not bad, I averaged around 36/37mpg on a recent trip from Fife down to BBR in Brackley, not bad for a 260bhp+ MX5.

·
Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
17,004 Posts
...but oil should not be touched from one interval to the next. I am not an engineer, but that is my opinion.
Hi once again, Tommo 🙂

I would like to pick up on a point you made above (and for general interest and discussion)
Whereas I agree with you that oil consumption in modern engines should indeed be minimal, some engines are actually designed to use oil, although as a motoring enthusiast I expect you'll know this anyway.

The best known example is the Wankel Rotary engine, which has a 'total loss' lubrication system in an attempt to combat excessive rotor-tip wear. Neglecting regular top-ups with this design will result in rapid engine failure. Well cared for examples of, say, the Mazda RX8 would typically run for 60-80,000 miles before overhaul, but neglected examples would only cover half those miles, resulting in an unfair reputation for poor durability.

The Skoda Octavia 2.0 petrol that we bought new in 2001 and kept for over 8 years always used 1 litre of oil every 2,000 miles, even from new. This oil consumption never altered, right up to the point of selling the car at 100,000 miles. This VW derived 1984cc engine fitted to very many VAG products was prone to burning oil and the handbook stated that "normal" oil consumption can be as high as 1 litre per 1,000 km. Now that's high for a modern motor, but deemed acceptable by VAG.

Conversely, when I had the driving school, the Renault 5 'Campus' tuition cars I ran, with their little 1100cc petrol engines, were thrashed mercilessly day after day by ham-fisted, club-footed, learner drivers 😆 and those strong little motors never needed oil top-ups between 6,000 mile oil changes, which would be about every 6-8 weeks. Again, conversely, our Volvo 740 GL family car with it's 2.3 litre petrol motor, always used oil and went on to run for 33 years and intergalactic mileage in the hands of other folk locally. It ended it's life ignominiously as a boat tug on a local slipway. A far cry from the way it was fastidiously cared for in my custodianship!

Kev.

• Wow
Reactions: Tommo and Qu1ckn1ck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi once again, Tommo 🙂

I would like to pick up on a point you made above (and for general interest and discussion)
Whereas I agree with you that oil consumption in modern engines should indeed be minimal, some engines are actually designed to use oil, although as a motoring enthusiast I expect you'll know this anyway.

The best known example is the Wankel Rotary engine, which has a 'total loss' lubrication system in an attempt to combat excessive rotor-tip wear. Neglecting regular top-ups with this design will result in rapid engine failure. Well cared for examples of, say, the Mazda RX8 would typically run for 60-80,000 miles before overhaul, but neglected examples would only cover half those miles, resulting in an unfair reputation for poor durability.

The Skoda Octavia 2.0 petrol that we bought new in 2001 and kept for over 8 years always used 1 litre of oil every 2,000 miles, even from new. This oil consumption never altered, right up to the point of selling the car at 100,000 miles. This VW derived 1984cc engine fitted to very many VAG products was prone to burning oil and the handbook stated that "normal" oil consumption can be as high as 1 litre per 1,000 km. Now that's high for a modern motor, but deemed acceptable by VAG.

Conversely, when I had the driving school, the Renault 5 'Campus' tuition cars I ran, with their little 1100cc petrol engines, were thrashed mercilessly day after day by ham-fisted, club-footed, learner drivers 😆 and those strong little motors never needed oil top-ups between 6,000 mile oil changes, which would be about every 6-8 weeks. Again, conversely, our Volvo 740 GL family car with it's 2.3 litre petrol motor, always used oil and went on to run for 33 years and intergalactic mileage in the hands of other folk locally. It ended it's life ignominiously as a boat tug on a local slipway. A far cry from the way it was fastidiously cared for in my custodianship!

Kev.
Hello Kev, thank you for the info.
You are right, there are engines out there that use oil. Thing is, they seem to me like having a stone in your shoe and you can’t be bothered to take the shoe of and tip the stone out. You end up walking differently to accommodate the stone. Allegro 1300 Super ( there was nothing super about an Allegro, believe me) through various Metro’s, Clio’s, Skoda’s and at least 10 Volvo’s, no oil burnt. Some leaked but didn’t burn. My Dad would make me check family vehicles every week. All levels, pressures etc…… and it has always stayed with me. We also ran various Datsun’s (Nissan’s), I know you know. Toyota’s, VW’s, Ford’s. My brother has a 25th Anniversary MX5, no oil burn.
It probably all comes down to me being a tight fisted bugger and a bit of a worrier. I want something bomb proof but do expect a little bit of grief.
Thanks again for the reply.
Tommo.

·
Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
13,522 Posts
This topic has got me thinking, the last time that I topped my engine oil up between services was thirty years ago when I had a Ford Sierra. I was doing slightly more miles a year then, 10,000 now 6,500.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Never used a drop of oil in my NC 3.5 in nearly 10 years and I have owned it since new. It had the performance cams put in by BBR as part of the 200bhp pack and is revved hard from time to time. I can get through a half tank of fuel pretty easily though, but its worth every penny. 😉

1 - 16 of 16 Posts