Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing to do with MX5s but .....For something to do during the lockdowns I set myself a little video project and this started out as a lighthearted tribute to a well known petrolhead website but it quickly became apparent as I went along just how much time and effort those guys put into their creations, and how many people must be involved with the production of each film.

This little project took far longer than I anticipated, I never realised how long just searching out locations alone would take for example, and being filmed mostly during the virus lockdowns I had to do most of it alone - which was very challenging and almost impossible at times. There are lots of errors which I've left in, and a few clips which I'd like to have re-shot so it's nowhere near as I'd have liked it to have been, but it was great fun to do and I learned a lot. I want to get on with doing the Frog now, which was always the main plan, the GT was more of a crash course in video photography - something which I knew next to nothing about before starting this. I'm looking forward to starting on the next one ... but I may get some help from a few friends with that because to do decent action shots requires 2 or 3 drivers, and I may even find someone who can fly a drone cam to help. :giggle:

Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
Nicely done, Dave -- looking forward to more of these 馃槂

Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
Right then Dave here we go,, it's a very good video well thought out and I enjoyed watching it but I must admit I turned the sound down except for the bit with the exhaust note which brings me to my next point, the tone didn't sound like the MGB's that I remember they always had a tone that was different to any other car, I won't say what we thought they sounded like it's a bit rude, and a sound that I cannot forget even though It was 50yrs ago since I worked on them. I also liked the length of the video it was spot on as I tend to get fed up after 5 or 6 minutes. I hope you do some more, I'm not very good at putting things into words so I hope I didn't sound too critical as it was supposed to be favourable.(y)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right then Dave here we go,, it's a very good video well thought out and I enjoyed watching it but I must admit I turned the sound down except for the bit with the exhaust note which brings me to my next point, the tone didn't sound like the MGB's that I remember they always had a tone that was different to any other car, I won't say what we thought they sounded like it's a bit rude, and a sound that I cannot forget even though It was 50yrs ago since I worked on them. I also liked the length of the video it was spot on as I tend to get fed up after 5 or 6 minutes. I hope you do some more, I'm not very good at putting things into words so I hope I didn't sound too critical as it was supposed to be favourable.(y)
The sound of my GT is very unlike a standard MGB Bill, mostly due to the Maniflow exhaust - which only has a back box and eliminates the centre one. There's also the Peter Burgess big valve cyl head / K&N filters (due to be changed shortly for something better) and that I had the video mic right over the exhaust tail pipe. Inside the car it's a deeper sound - a bit more MGB which you can just hear coming through on the video.

Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
I loved the close ups of some of the body parts, the shine on that paint is like glass, it's certainly a credit to you for the hard work you must have put in.

Spending the kid's inheritance .............
Looks fantastic, although at first I was not too sure about painting the wire wheels black.

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
Nice one Dave, I know you put a lot of time and effort into the making of that video, cracking stuff though and as for the BGT :love:

Reactions: Dewi RS

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks fantastic, although at first I was not too sure about painting the wire wheels black.
They're not painted Nick, I bought new 15 inch tubeless ones from MSW. To be fair the photos don't do them justice, they're an absolute work of art :D. It was either that or paint the car because I really wasn't keen on the Blaze, but after seeing a very dark green Morgan at a classic meet and chatting to the owner I thought I'd give them a go and see if the car looked any better with black rather than silver wheels - I did a photoshop mock up first and liked it so bit the bullet and sent an order to MWS, but took a gamble on the offset fitting under the rear arches and fortunately they fit - just! Plan B was to flare the arches if they didn't. They should have fitted the 15 inch MGC wheels to the B, it rides so much better on them.

Reactions: Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............
They're not painted Nick, I bought new 15 inch tubeless ones from MSW. To be fair the photos don't do them justice, they're an absolute work of art :D. It was either that or paint the car because I really wasn't keen on the Blaze, but after seeing a very dark green Morgan at a classic meet and chatting to the owner I thought I'd give them a go and see if the car looked any better with black rather than silver wheels - I did a photoshop mock up first and liked it so bit the bullet and sent an order to MWS, but took a gamble on the offset fitting under the rear arches and fortunately they fit - just! Plan B was to flare the arches if they didn't. They should have fitted the 15 inch MGC wheels to the B, it rides so much better on them.
I put 15" Minilites with lower profile tyres on both our Roadster and GT back in 1996.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put 15" Minilites with lower profile tyres on both our Roadster and GT back in 1996.
Yeah, I put lower profiles on the GT too Nick but worked out what I needed (60s on 185s i think) to keep the rolling circumference the same as the original wheels - just to keep the speedo with some degree of accuracy. Checking it against the sat nav it's pretty much bob on

Reactions: Qu1ckn1ck

Premium Member
Nice little video that Dave....As others have said the Mg is a credit to you.
When's the follow up video of the 'Frog' coming out then?.... 馃槀

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice little video that Dave....As others have said the Mg is a credit to you.
When's the follow up video of the 'Frog' coming out then?.... 馃槀
It'll be a while Chris :D, time is going to be a bit limted over the next few months. We're off to Scotland in 2 weeks for a wee holiday then when we get back I'm on house decorating duties because No1 child (the clever one) is coming home for Xmas with her hubby so Miss wants the homestead all sparkly....... Unless you fancy popping over and doing it for us and that'll give me more time to make videos? 馃

Premium Member
Unless you fancy popping over and doing it for us and that'll give me more time to make videos? 馃
Lol...I would mate, but sorry am a bit busy now am back at work! ...Should have asked last week! 馃槀

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: Garffey

Unicorn finder
I waited until I could watch that video properly- it was awesome! I had to pick up video editing quickly with this year, when suddenly asked to post 4 a day with no training, and it鈥檚 hard to get everything that smooth! Excellent job!

Defo a drone shot :)

Premium Member
Great video Dave, the MG looks amazing, personally I love the sound / exhaust note and could listen to that all day. look forward to seeing the one on the Frog, keep up the great work !! (y)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I waited until I could watch that video properly- it was awesome! I had to pick up video editing quickly with this year, when suddenly asked to post 4 a day with no training, and it鈥檚 hard to get everything that smooth! Excellent job!

Defo a drone shot :)
I can highly recommend Corel Video Studio, Ali. Very intuituve to use and at about 拢60 for the basic package (which is all you'll need) a bargain

Reactions: Ali5
1 - 20 of 24 Posts