Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at options for head unit changes for the 2013 NC I've just bought and wondering if I have BOSE or not.

I was initially looking at earlier Sport Tech models and most of them seemed to claim BOSE so I just sort of expected it on the later, Graphite special edition I have which seems to be based on the Sport Tech platform although does have the double DIN TomTom sat' nav' unit. However I don't see the BOSE emblem anywhere so I'm assuming it was dropped on this model (or only an option).

I'm not particularly concerned whether I have it or not, I don't expect great sound quality in a small, open topped car, just want to know for any changes I may make to the head.

From what I've read the existence of the BOSE system has implications if the head unit is change, if I have understood correctly changing the head would also delete the Bose system and using most alternative heads would be problematic with the lower impedance (2 Ohm?) Bose speakers in which case having the Bose setup would be more of a disadvantage than an advantage.

Why would I want to change the head?
Well the exiting unit is fairly pointless, I don't use CDs any more and as far as I'm aware this unit does not have any storage capacity such as hard drive (maybe wrong it's all new at the moment) and ideally I'd like to have Apple Play so I can link the the music via my phone and also use my phone based nav' with a larger screen (I'm used to this in my current car). Ideally I'm looking to do this as cheaply as possible, as I said I'm not too concerned with sound quality more the AP functionality so head unit only needs to be quite dumb (no radio, no self containted music storage or means of playing). Any suggestions?

· Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,732 Posts
My 2014 25th Anniversary limited has an Alpine combined sat nav / stereo unit in place of the normal radio / CD unit, and this does not have BOSE, unlike the Sport Tech models of the same age, and so it is quite likely that your Sport Graphite does not have BOSE either, given the radio / CD is replaced with a sat nav unit, notwithstanding that yours is a TomTom rather than an Alpine.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2014 25th Anniversary limited has an Alpine combined sat nav / stereo unit in place of the normal radio / CD unit, and this does not have BOSE, unlike the Sport Tech models of the same age, and so it is quite likely that your Sport Graphite does not have BOSE either, given the radio / CD is replaced with a sat nav unit, notwithstanding that yours is a TomTom rather than an Alpine.

Cheers Mark. I'm assuming if it has Bose fitted there would be some indication of it. I suppose I could RTFM but not had time just yet (or been too lazy, you decide).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts