Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

Long shot, but I am looking at a couple of cars this weekend. One is in Derbyshire and the other is a little more local, Berkshire. I live in Oxford, so while one is a long walk away, the other is just down the road. 🥾Is there anyone on here that can recommend anyone, local garage or indeed a member of the forum who could view the cars also.

Apart from lifting the bonnet and not finding an engine or the steering wheel missing etc……. I am not the best.

That said, I normally buy with my gut feeling and over the years have probably won more than I’ve lost. I appreciate any car over 10 years old will need a few quid spending on it and I am really fussy, so anything that needs doing will get done. Just so long as it isn’t me.

Thanks for looking.

Tommo.

·
Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,595 Posts
Good luck with your search, and sorry, but I am too far away to be able to help.

What model of MX5 are you looking at, as any local members who are knowledgeable on the older cars, may know less about the newer cars, and vice versa.

Reactions: Kev5

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with your search, and sorry, but I am too far away to be able to help.

What model of MX5 are you looking at, as any local members who are knowledgeable on the older cars, may know less about the newer cars, and vice versa.
Hello Mark

Thank you for coming back. I am looking at 07 plate Mk3, 2.0, 5 speed. While I am sure the mechanicals will be ok. It’s the tell tale signs of the dreaded swear word that some guidance would be extremely valuable on. RUST.

Sure, I know it when I see it but by then it is to late.

Thanks again.

Tommo.

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
Hi Tommo...
While generally the Mk3's weren't as bad as the Mk2's,
I've still seen Mk3's with scabby wheel arches front and rear, also under the bumper at the back seems a place for the start of tin worm, and the plastic cill cover can hide a multitude of sins, so get it on a ramp if you can...
Mechanically there have been cases of engines going bang but this is manly due to them being run with low oil levels.
Rest is pretty standard stuff like any car.

Good luck in your search and with patience the car will find you....;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one, thank you Garffey. The blasted rust!!! I’ve come from classic Mini’s and really don’t want to go back there. I don’t mind a little bit of sorting but not too much.

Thanks again, enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Tommo.

·
Unicorn finder
11,385 Posts
I too, cut my teeth on classic minis! Good luck- I’m sadly unable to help you either. Anyway you’d end up with a yellow one if I went shopping for you!

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
i mate have been to look at the cars as i live in derbyshire , so where abouts in derbyshire is it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts