Mazda MX5 Forum banner
261 - 280 of 284 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,749 Posts
Thank you, Jono.

This is a great clip and the car looks very desirable. Unfortunately, our totally incompetent and, frankly, sleazy government has failed to confront the challenges of electric cars.

Since buying my Thai-built Mazda 2, I look at gadgets and think, "Ah, there is something to go wrong!"

·
Premium Member
Skodaboy
17,964 Posts
Thank you, Jono :)

I'd been wondering what had happened to the Allegro...

·
Premium Member
Skodaboy
17,964 Posts
Strange how anyone would want to put time and effort into restoring an Austin Allegro.

It was an astonishingly poor car when it was introduced and inflicted upon the car-buying public, 50 years ago.

I am not simply reporting from the usual media hyperbole, but actually from personal experience. My sister had TWO of these little monsters---one of which I drove for 200 miles when she was in hospital in the late 1980s. I drove the thing from Watford to our home in North Devon with her dog in the back so that we could look after her pet whilst she was in recovery.
I checked the oil before leaving her home near Watford, but by Leigh Delamere on the M4 the oil light was flickering. I pulled into the services and bought a gallon of GTX, all of which I poured into the engine.
I continued my journey, noting how the exhaust pipe was smoking like a tramp steamer!!
Eventually, I arrived at our house, and settled my sister's dog down for the night. In the morning I checked the oil again, only to find nothing on the dipstick!! That horrible little All Aggro had consumed 2 gallons of oil in 200 miles!!
Not only that, the driver's seat was completely collapsed, making me feel like 'Chad' peering over the steering wheel!!
I am being honest and truthful here when I tell you good folk, that my sister's 'All Aggro' was the worst car I have ever driven, to this day!

·
Premium Member
10,628 Posts
Strange how anyone would want to put time and effort into restoring an Austin Allegro.
That made me laugh Kev...🤣🤣...As the Allegro was the source of much ribbing for owners...
You're quite right of course...I remember a work mate many years ago dragged me off to a scrap yard to chop the back off one 'Allaggro'
so he could repair his after someone smashed into the back of it...
Told him at the time he should let it die peacefully, as after repairs his boot was more an aquarium and was constantly full of water!!
I was quite in favour of Jonny's project when he was stuffing the V6 in it....am less keen now its been replaced.

But guess it might raise a smile or two to those that remember what horrid things they were!....

• Haha
Reactions: Kev5

·
Premium Member
Skodaboy
17,964 Posts
261 - 280 of 284 Posts