Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting your car ready for the salts and cold of winter motoring, is extremely important

To that end I am offering a full Car Protection with Sealant and/or Wax to keep it looking good, easy to clean and above all protected against the rigours of the British Winter

This will be priced at ONLY £50 and will include a full wash and wax/Seal of your paintwork and wheels

I am available most days and weekends and live near Bingley West Yorks

Looking forward to hearing from you

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought I'd show some pictures of a couple of MX-5's that I have Detailed in the last couple of years:

1. Peter's Mk3:

Thought I'd share a detail I did on my mates MX5..He knows nowt about car cleaning or polishing..so it was instructional in the main..with a few beers and a curry promised!!
It was clear that it was lacking some TLC..swirls, the odd deeper scratch and pretty bad alloys and rusting calipers SO..... on with the detail...

This took a mammoth 14 hours!!...I'm knackered!!

Detail details: Wheels cleaned with Wonder Wheels Hot Rims Iron remover (Not much cleaner after that) ....they will be coming off later Snow Foamed Washed via TBM with Meguiars Gold Class Car Shampoo with a Dooka Sheepskin Wash Pad Rinsed again

AG Intensive tar remover applied and wiped off. Then clayed with Bilt Hamber Soft Clay

Rinsed again

Dried with a Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth Drying Towels Car polished with a Rotary via a 3M light yellow medium polishing pad on some deeper scratches and a Blue 3M finish pad for the car generally and Scholl S17+ Polish....(I love this polish..It can be used on different pads and diminishes away quicly for light refinement passes.....in one hit..no refining necessary on soft Jap paint with DA this time...no hologramming!

Car then rinsed to remove polish splatter and dust. Dried off again and a wipe down with 50:50 IPA and water Then something different...Applied Wolfs Body Wrap sealant to the whole car. And buffed off. It promises much. We shall see. Paint certainly has a nice slick feel to it

The Exhausts were then polished with T Cut Metal polish.

The engine bay was really filthy. So covered a couple of electrical bits. Liberally sprayed with APC and then selectively blasted with the pressure washer. 20130609_202230_zps3b8bc276.jpg 20130609_202238_zps8b403241.jpg 20130609_202243_zpsbf900153.jpg Engine running of course. Dried off and protected with AG vinyl protectorant.

Did the same with all the shuts earlier

Now onto the next day and the wheels.

Car jacked up and the wheels removed and properly cleaned with Wonder Wheels Cleaner and tar remover.

Sealed with Optimum Optiseal

Onto the Calipers. Cleaned and some rust removed. Splatter guards and hubs painted with Hammerite Smooth Black. And Calipers painted with Hammerite Smooth Gold...Peter has suggested red, but I persuaded him that Gold would go well with the blue car

Wheels back on and interior vacuumed and plastics dressed with a minute amount of Megs Interior vinyl protector.

Buffed away with MF towel.

Door shuts dressed with Bilt Hamber QD and buffed up Glass cleaned inside and out with AG Glass cleaner and outer glass sealed with GTechnik G3 (G5)

Exterior vinyl dressed with AG Bumper Cleaner Tyres dressed with Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel Then took a few finished pictures:
20130609_170203_zps74c0c9a9.jpg
20130609_170025_zps692df88c.jpg
20130609_170256_zps79b90789.jpg20130609_170249_zps90cfbb6c.jpg 20130609_170234_zps3766bd1c.jpg 20130609_170220_zps5d7ed3a6.jpg

Contacted by a mate's brother to see if I could polish his newly acquired MX-5 Eunos Roadster
This car is 20 years old and had been very badly resprayed by the previous owner..
Worst spray job Ive ever seen!! Stevie Wonder could do better!!
However...I set about the challenge and armed with my DA and Rotary shod with finishing pads and the use of some 'Farecla' G3 Finishing polish after a good wash....... began trying to correct the paintwork
This Jap paint is very very soft and it hadn't been lacquered either!! My pads are now red!!
All in all..I was fairly satisfied that I had done the best I could

Here are the finished pics:
2014-06-14171053_zps465d6288.jpg
2014-06-14171101_zpseee2f03a.jpg
2014-06-14171124_zps4fd686f6.jpg
2014-06-14171145_zpsfba219a9.jpg

Wheels cleaned with Wonder Wheels wheel cleaner and wheel woolies brushes

Car rinsed and then Valet Pro pH neutral Snow Foam and then rinsed again Wash via TBM with Meguiars Gold Class Car Shampoo with a Dooka Sheepskin Wash Pad

Clayed with G3 clay mitt & rinsed.

Dried with a Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth Drying Towel Car polished with a Rotary via a 3M polishing pad and Scholl S17+ Polish

Paintwork refined/jewelled via a Megs v2 Dual Action Polisher with a Chem Guys Hexalogic Finishing Pad and Menz SF4000 Finishing polish Waxed with Zymol Titanium Glaze Wax and sealed with Sonax BSD

Tailpipes cleaned and polished with TCut Metal polish

Wheels sealed with Sonax BSD

Doorshuts dressed and buffed with Sonax BSD

Engine bay cleaned and dressed with Meguiars Vinyl and Rubber Shine

Interior vacuumed and plastic dressed with Meguiars Vinyl and Rubber Shine

Finally...... Tyres dressed with Meguiars Hot Shine Tyre dressing

2014-04-27145945_zpsd6aa0e72.jpg

2014-04-27150006_zpsc15f472b.jpg

2014-04-27150023_zpsf92ee35e.jpg

2014-04-27150049_zps7ea3929e.jpg

2014-04-27150301_zpsdeb86731.jpg

2014-04-27150313_zps694ef71d.jpg

Thanks for looking

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Good work Chris, must admit I put some Sonax BSD on mine today , I do like the way the water beads with it, also a few weeks ago I tried their Xtreme wheel rim coating and it seems to be lasting really well

Reactions: ChrisR

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Cheers Steve

I love BSD...It can go over anything without degrading it and as you say, the beading is epic!

I use BSD as a wheel sealer too and highly rate its ability to protect and disperse brake dust...though my Wheel Sealer/wax of the moment is Wheel Whores Wheel Wax

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi guys

I am looking for some advice on the purchase of my first machine polisher. I have never used one before in earnest and am looking for a competent but good value example.

I look after and treat my paintwork pretty well, hand polishing marks when appropriate but have always fancied being able to cover large areas if necessary.

Any suggestions on the type of polishing compound to use (my 5 is galaxy grey) also appreciated (clayed first of course). I use AG high definition wax to seal.

Thanks in advance

David

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Hi Roadstar

Have a look at the 'Clean Your Car' Website

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/cat_81.html

Their Polisher packages are excellent....I would recommend a Dual action Polisher with a Medium grade polish and Finishing polish with a Medium and Finishing Pad

Chemical Guys Pads are my favourite and with Scholl S17+ and S30 Polished ....This is all you will need

However....there are, of course, many more to choose from and, as a package..You cant beat the Sonax one:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-complete-sonax-kit/prod_1554.html

·
Registered
398 Posts
Chris, thanks very much for the suggestions/links.

I will take a look but will no doubt come back for some real life advice..!

David

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi Chris I have just bought a Honda Civic you know the one with the plastic trim over the wheels and under the doors could you recommend a good plastic trim cleaner , conditioner sort of thing thing I think the trims are meant to be grey but I would like to make them cleaner

Cheers - Alan

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clean them with some diluted APC and then apply some Gtechniq C4 trim restorer

Should come up like mine did:

IMGP0524.jpg

Good luck

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi Chris thanks for that but excuse my ignorance what is APC can it be bought local form say Halfrauds or local car shop

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
I quite like APC use it 10:1 or 4:1 depending on the task, i.e. engine bay, door shuts, carpets, exterior plastics, the 5 litre container will probably last me a life time.

Reactions: ChrisR

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep....I use it a lot

Wheel arch liners clean up nicely with it as well

As said..ALWAYS dilute it

I don't bother with Automotive APC

I just buy cheap supermarket stuff..Just as good but much much cheaper!!

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Must admit my wheel arch layers stay dirty, I'd need to jack up the car to get anywhere near them.

·
Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
9,577 Posts
Hi Roadstar

Have a look at the 'Clean Your Car' Website

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/cat_81.html

Their Polisher packages are excellent....I would recommend a Dual action Polisher with a Medium grade polish and Finishing polish with a Medium and Finishing Pad

Chemical Guys Pads are my favourite and with Scholl S17+ and S30 Polished ....This is all you will need

However....there are, of course, many more to choose from and, as a package..You cant beat the Sonax one:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-complete-sonax-kit/prod_1554.html
I have to say that on Mazda paint a medium cut polish on a medium pad is a bit on the heavy side due to the very soft clear coat that Mazda insist on using, always start with a low cut polish and low cut pad, if you then find that getting light marring, swirl marks etc are proving to time consuming or will not come out, then step up a grade.

Also worth mentioning that one manufacturers medium polish may be a much heavier cut and take longer to break down than another's. Particularly if embarking on using a machine polisher for the first time start with the lightest grades of polishes and pads and work your way up.

The softness of Mazda clear coat cannot be understated and striking through to the paint below can be done with relative ease if even a medium grade polish and pad is used without a lot of care. I found this out the hard way by grabbing the products for Ford paint in error, five minutes, granted on a swaged edge where the paint is at its thinnest and I struck through to the base coat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts