Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now someone put this reply:

• Robbie3 days ago

This may not be a popular comment for the nostalgic readers but being old enough to have owned cars that are now "classics" I have to say that not one of them gave me "real driving thrills" Granted I have not owned any of the more exotic cars listed but I have driven almost all of the British Leyland versions and compared to modern day cars they were absolute rubbish. I have always loved cars and keeping them going was great fun and gave me a good grounding in mechanical engineering, but in terms of build quality, safety, driveability and comfort they were very very basic. I can understand the collector's money motivation and those who get satisfaction out of a rebuild, but for driving enjoyment, give me a Mazda MX5 (even a 10 year old example) any day of the week rather than an MGB. Who would watch TV on an old black and white box when a modern 50 inch unit was available

on this article:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/96477/best-classic-cars-2016-our-top-10-sports-car-classics

Of course, I suspect one of you! Is there a similarity of name there?

·
ex-TR7 owner
13,158 Posts
I'm not Robbie but I agree with his reasoning.

Before buying my first MX-5 I was looking at getting another TR7 (have I mentioned I used to have one in my late teens? ;) ) but after much deliberation accepted that even if I fully rebuilt one to 'as new' standard it would still be an old car with the performance, braking, handling and safety features of the mid 70s. Totally out classed by modern cars.

The idea was still very appealing but the mk3 MX-5 was a much better choice.

·
Premium Member
12,351 Posts
I often wonder how I'd feel driving an MGB now after owning 4 MX5s, I loved both my Bs (and even my Midget) but 25 years on from owning my then 18 year MGB I wonder how it would compare to drive one now. Given I've just returned from a run in the RS from Preston on the M6 where I was happily cruising at 75 / 80 mph with the odd burst above that to overtake things, would I find the MGB a bit of a chore to drive in modern motorway traffic?

I suppose there's only our very own Jim who can answer that here. I do feel however that even the Mk1 MX5 was technically light years ahead of the MGB, so comparing it to a 10 year old Mk3 is a tad unfair seeing as the BMC B series engine has it's roots in a late 1940s design.

·
Premium Member
9,917 Posts
Not done it with cars, but went down the 'Classic' route when getting back into biking....

I soon realised my mistake when I got it built (that was the fun bit) finally on the road, even with the rose tinted glasses on the performance, handling and brakes weren't what I remembered them to be..... :nah:

Reactions: Jono and Dewi RS

·
Premium Member
21,208 Posts
I had my Spitfire until only 4 years ago. It was OK on the motorway, but I wouldn't keep it much above 60 for long as I was aware of it's age. The ride was hard too. In town the lack of power steering was a big miss. Heavy as a heavy thing to park or move slowly. Enjoyed it for a year, but that was long enough. The boot full of spanners, pliers assorted bits of wire and tape wasn't handy either.

·
Premium Member
12,351 Posts
Reactions: Roddy and Jono

·
Premium Member
12,351 Posts
Viewed another "fully restored" MGB GT today - what a dreamer !
We need pics Nick :nod: ........... Or pick nicks if you prefer? :giggle:

·
Premium Member
9,917 Posts
:) I hate those things Chris, the 250GTO is one of my all time favourite cars and that thing makes me want to wince. The proportions are totally wrong so it just looks completely naff. Sorry but it should be burned and put out of it's misery - it looked much better as an MX5 I'm sure :giggle:

Have a real 250GTO

ferrari-250-gto-1962_zps3vvendz4.jpg

media_zpsresvo63p.jpg
I thought it might D.... :frantic: ....Funny that it should crop up when I'm searching for classics!

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
I often wonder how I'd feel driving an MGB now after owning 4 MX5s, I loved both my Bs (and even my Midget) but 25 years on from owning my then 18 year MGB I wonder how it would compare to drive one now. Given I've just returned from a run in the RS from Preston on the M6 where I was happily cruising at 75 / 80 mph with the odd burst above that to overtake things, would I find the MGB a bit of a chore to drive in modern motorway traffic?

I suppose there's only our very own Jim who can answer that here. I do feel however that even the Mk1 MX5 was technically light years ahead of the MGB, so comparing it to a 10 year old Mk3 is a tad unfair seeing as the BMC B series engine has it's roots in a late 1940s design.
Strangely enough Dave I was out and about in the B today , covered 70 odd miles along coast roads etc but had a 8 mile blast down the A30 dual carriageway from Chiverton to Camborne at 75ish in overdrive and to be honest it was effortless .... don't think I held anyone up at all. Loving this 46 year old car more every time I drive her . Loved the Mk1 every bit as much but you can't compare the two , as you rightly say , different era and technically chalk and cheese. Not long now and you will be able to try it yourself !

Sorry you think MG's were rubbish Martin (unless you exclude them from BL products) but times change and evolution rules at end of the day ... I guess our wonderful old Spitfire could be termed 'rubbish' (although not by me) when compared to the RAF's new F35's ......

I miss the Mk1 with a passion but an older classic British Sportscar was always on my 'Bucket List' .... I accept the MGB is bread and butter status in the 'classic' arena but then again , it's number 2 behind the E Type on that link of Martin's above. I could have hated it from day one , especially after parting with J131PKV but fortunately I was impressed from first drive and the journey continues to get better ... next on 'Bucket List' is a classic British Bike , a Norton Commando possibly , although don't mention that to Mrs BD next month Dave ! If that transpires , it too will in technical / handling / performance terms also be rubbish compared to the latest Sportsbikes today , but that's not important when on the nostalgia highway !!

·
Spending the kid's inheritance .............
38,987 Posts
Viewed another "fully restored" MGB GT today - what a dreamer !
We need pics Nick :nod: ........... Or pick nicks if you prefer? :giggle:
No you don't, it was deadful - 50 shades of green with the crackle finish dash hand painted. He had an MX5 too, a California, which only had three different shades of yellow so far.

·
Premium Member
12,351 Posts
I think you're being a bit picky Nick ..... :giggle: Sorry couldn't resist. I'll go to my room :bored:

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts

Strangely enough Dave I was out and about in the B today , covered 70 odd miles along coast roads etc but had a 8 mile blast down the A30 dual carriageway from Chiverton to Camborne at 75ish in overdrive and to be honest it was effortless .... don't think I held anyone up at all. Loving this 46 year old car more every time I drive her . Loved the Mk1 every bit as much but you can't compare the two , as you rightly say , different era and technically chalk and cheese. Not long now and you will be able to try it yourself !

Sorry you think MG's were rubbish Martin (unless you exclude them from BL products) but times change and evolution rules at end of the day ... I guess our wonderful old Spitfire could be termed 'rubbish' (although not by me) when compared to the RAF's new F35's ......

I miss the Mk1 with a passion but an older classic British Sportscar was always on my 'Bucket List' .... I accept the MGB is bread and butter status in the 'classic' arena but then again , it's number 2 behind the E Type on that link of Martin's above. I could have hated it from day one , especially after parting with J131PKV but fortunately I was impressed from first drive and the journey continues to get better ... next on 'Bucket List' is a classic British Bike , a Norton Commando possibly , although don't mention that to Mrs BD next month Dave ! If that transpires , it too will in technical / handling / performance terms also be rubbish compared to the latest Sportsbikes today , but that's not important when on the nostalgia highway !!
Just re-read the original post Martin and realised it was not your thoughts on BL products etc etc but was from 'Robbie' , .... must remember to focus !!! Having said that , Robbie whoever you are , we are miles apart on the automobile planet ... thank goodness for that :wave:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts