Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Bacon Unicorn
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An easy, first modification to make to your car.
From the Mk1 to the latest, the side repeater (indicator) units didn't change, so neither did the fitments.

1. Remove the old repeaters by pushing the light unit back towards the rear of the car, you'll feel the pressure of the locating spring clip. So whilst holding them, you should be able to pop the front edge out and then proceed to release the whole unit.
2. Turn the bulbholder anti-clockwise and remove it from the lamp section.
3. Pull the old clear bulb out from the bulbholder, then push in the new orange bulb (which should come with the new units).
4. Fit the bulbholder and bulb into the back of the new repeater, there are nearside and offside ones so try not to get them confused.
5. Pop the new repeaters into the holes in the wing.

sideview.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
If i can add my twopenneth, while you have the indicators off, check you paint work around the edges of the hole, now is the best time to stop any rust developing.
Dave.

Reactions: Bacon

·
Bacon Unicorn
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i can add my twopenneth, while you have the indicators off, check you paint work around the edges of the hole, now is the best time to stop any rust developing.
Dave.
Yes, well caught Dave. :)
It makes perfect sense to inspect whilst they're off. Prevention/cure.

·
2,584 Posts
Cheap mod there, thanks for taking the time to create.
I did mine ages ago and Winning Blue is the better for the change IMO.
Cost: Anything between £16 for the budget type, rising to around £23 for the genuine Mazda ones listed here at MX5Parts.

·
On Tour
11,634 Posts
Always worth keeping an eye on mx5 forums as people who are selling up tend to replace the clears with the original tangos and sell the clears separately ~ which is how i acquired mine for a very reasonable price [the price now eludes me sorry]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Best mod only just done it after 3 years looks like a new car now

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
I changed the ones on my MK2 and wasn't that impressed. I am keeping my MK2 ones orange as I like orange and it makes the car look more retro and unadulterated.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I was gonna chuck `em in the bin along with my old suspension!
Ebay the lot some people will buy anything mine were sold to a mazda dealer :roflmao:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
My tangos are safely in my toolbox.
Should I, on a whim, fancy a change, then I won't need to go through the "D'oh I wish I hadn't have sold 'em!" experience. :)
Sell them it's one change you can never go back on :giggle:

·
Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,565 Posts
Thanks for the tips there, I'm purposely keeping the orange ones on purely to annoy other forum members! Only joking, will get around to it one day:)
You know it makes sense :) - have I worn you down with my nagging :oops:

Reactions: BlueRSedFly

·
Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,565 Posts
Nope. Because if some idiot breaks the current clears, I have a very quick backup plan whilst the parts order goes in. :D
Sorry Clix, I was replying to BlueRS's post :oops:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've had a set on order from MX5 parts since the end of May. They are still out of stock, though they say that delivery is iminent. I bought a set of clear side markers at the Spring Rally in Kent, MX5 Parts didnt have any clear repeaters then either:(

1 - 20 of 47 Posts