Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there... I'm having a problem with the drivers door going up and down and have found that the pulley cable is frayed when taking the inside door cover off... Has anyone else had this problem before ? My MX5 is a 66 plate and I'm a bit gobsmacked that its happened to be honest but there ya go, if anyone can help with any advice on the problem that would be great... cheers, Andy. Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
9,738 Posts
Hi Andy and welcome to Life, good people with great knowledge across all marks of the MX5.

Unfortunately you are not the first to have reported this issue on an ND, one member had the widow drop and smash as the cable had frayed & corroded right through. I'm no expert on the ND, NCs are my thing but hopefully someone will be along shortly to provide the appropriate advice.

Meanwhile, why not pop over to the new members section and give us an introduction?

Good luck

Reactions: Kev5 and MJL

·
Premium Member
Skodaboy
17,676 Posts
Hi Andy and welcome to mx5life.com

I have had two Mk4 (ND) MX-5s like yours and the second one, which I bought used at only 3 years old, had the same problem as yours with a rusted and frayed cable which jammed the window open.

I have since learned that it is a very common problem and the only solution is a complete window regulator assembly from Mazda which includes a new cable and pulleys. The cost was around £50 three years ago and a fairly easy fix once the door card has been removed.

I suggest you spray lots of liquid grease into the cable before reassembly to help it last a bit longer in future. Give it a really good soaking to allow the liquid grease to penetrate the cable strands. There are several makes of aerosol liquid greases you can buy and they are very effective.

Good luck,
Kev.

·
9,738 Posts
Seems to have become the norm this year for loads of things.
Just changed the clutch on the GM and could only find the Red Line oil I use at one UK supplier, not a drop anywhere else. Same when I was rebushing the suspension, bits needed simply not available or on very long lead times. 🤔

·
9,738 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts