Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope all the dads out there had a better day than us?

What is generally a quite easy 'trip' turned into something of a nightmare..... :(
After a lovely day yesterday in our favourite seaside town, we returned to the car after a nice tea.

I got to the car (The CX-3 on this occasion as we had the son with us ) and pressed the 'keyless' button.....
NOTHING!!!!!!!....I tried again and again in vain.
Hmmm....after removing and cleaning the battery in the key fob, still nothing (Red flashing led looked weak).
Thinking it maybe the battery I dashed on to the nearby B&M store, fortunately it was still open despite saying it closed at 5pm, it was about five past five by this time.
Battery purchased and fitted we returned to the car.....Still nothing.
No lights on the dash...Nowt!

Not knowing it was a flat battery at this time I called the 'AA' and after a brief conversation got a text with a link to add details of my location etc into the app.
A few seconds later (after being told they would have someone with us in 30 mins) I got a text say their contractor partner would be with me by 19.20!
(In hindsight probably just as well with 11 miles of standing traffic at 5pm on the M62 close to home!).
So we waited....at approx 19.15 the rescue arrived....Ironically an AA van was just in front of him, but drove quickly past....o_O
Within seconds the car was started, but left us with the mystery of why the battery went flat, did we leave the car parked with a door open and the interior light on (possible)....Did the boot light get switched on by accident (possible).....Oddly, the only thing that didn't work was the wifey's I-pod Nano which is always plugged in the USB port.....Oh, and the fuel gauge, which was reading empty with the low fuel light on!....Fortunately we filled the car up before setting off so this wasn't an issue.

Anyway, happy the car was started and any other checks completed like making sure the alternator drive belt was still there ...we set off.
Then CRUNCH! :mad:馃槶
I clipped (well more drove into) the little low wall in the entrance.....We don't usually park on that side of the car park, as a straight run out avoids you hitting the wall you cant see!!
Sadly I forgot as I turned right out of the parking bay!....

The rest of the journey home, was thankfully uneventful!....
OUCH!!

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting

馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶

And I've still not determined why the battery was flat....car opens/starts today without problem.

Spending the kid's inheritance .............
What a nightmare !

Sorry to hear of your Father's Day double troubles, Chris.

Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
It's always annoying when you don't know the cause, it plays on your mind wondering if it will happen again. That's how it affected me when the Mazda cut out on me for no apparent reason a few weeks ago and it still bothers me wondering if it will happen again.

Premium Member
Skodaboy
Really sorry to read (and see) this, Chris! 馃槙

It never rains.....

Reactions: Garffey

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All.... (y)
Yes, cars still locking/unlocking & starting fine, and I even got the i-pod to charge back up using my phone charger....
Can't help but think that while rummaging in the boot we must have knocked the light on....

On the repairs front the local 'smart repair' chap (who helped with the scratched Graphite I had, and Wifey's Mazda 2) knocked us back saying it wasn't repairable, and another didn't bother to reply.
I've contacted a chap in Halifax who repairs mainly motorcycle fairings (with plastic /welding filling and he sent me a smashing e-mail in great depth and is fairly confident he can sort it....so I'm not rushing him and happy to take the car across to him for him to fix within his timetable.

So......馃馃馃馃

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Went over to see Steve this afternoon, and he seems pretty confident he can sort the damage for around 拢350... 馃 (y)
I hadn't noticed on his web-site but he actually does a lot of work on TVR's....And he showed me a ride in ' Chimaera' he built for his daughter during lockdown, with the chassis and drive gear from an old mobility scooter and fibreglass bodyshell!....This is nothing short of Superb!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

I'm sure he won't have a problem sorting my little issue!....:love:

EDIT....A link to the build....Steve Edwards, Halifax, West Yorkshire - car, van, bodywork repair, modification, TVR hard-top

Premium Member
Skodaboy
That little Chimaera is brilliant and skilfully made, but his daughter seems to have already outgrown it. He'd better start on another, larger one straight away! 馃槃

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That little Chimaera is brilliant and skilfully made, but his daughter seems to have already outgrown it. He'd better start on another, larger one straight away! 馃槃
It is Kev, the quality of workmanship is outstanding :love: .....But as you rightly say she's already (sadly) outgrown it, he had a bout 拢900 in it up to the point it is today....If anyone wanted one built for the grandkids its about 拢3k.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts