Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, just remembered this forum while still looking for center caps, realised i never sent an introduction. Im Alex, and i have a 1991 mk1 in classic red
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Plant Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Owned it since early 2019, got it for £1350 up in Kent, repaired too much rust and had a respray since then
Tire Automotive tire Light Black Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

While it was there I got the seats reupholstered (can kind of see them in this image) - cost a bit but worth it, very comfortable
Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Quickly got rid of those mk2 wheels when the welding was finally done, went and got the bbs wheels i mentioned in a previous post - theyre stock 14" painted black
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side marker light

havent done much other than a few cosmetic things, such as an original cassette and cd players, parts of which came from arizona. (oh and alot of breaking down lol)
i have a few questions to ask aswell, what should i sell a hardtop for? (all seals are fine but the red paints a bit faded) Heard some of the oem floor mats are worth something, i got 2 original black eunos carpets (they look striped but with lines through the stripes, would attach an image but hit the limit) for £30, what are they worth? And has anyone got wiring diagrams for a 1991 UK spec mx5? Radio wiring was cut by one of many previous owners and ive tried fitting wiring harnesses off different MX5s/Eunoses but none of them have worked.
Thanks for reading,
Alex

·
Premium Member
Skodaboy
17,631 Posts
Hello Alex and welcome to our lovely forum! 👍 😊

I'm no expert on the Mk1 MX-5, but I'm sure other members will be along soon.

Good work and nice photos too! 😃

Reactions: MJL and Garffey

·
Premium Member
10,220 Posts
Hi Alex!... 👋

Welcome to the 'Life' madhouse....Err, sorry forum I meant! 🤭
Good on you for rescuing a Mk1 and especially a red one (That will please Martin...aka MJL).
And thanks for sharing the trials and tribulations of Mx-5 ownership!....Yes the Mx has a way of getting under the skin!!!!
Sorry I'm unaware of what original mats could be worth....But on the wiring, investing in a 'Haynes workshop manual' should help.
Or maybe good old 'Google'.....
Keep us updated, and enjoy.(y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Alex!... 👋

Welcome to the 'Life' madhouse....Err, sorry forum I meant! 🤭
Good on you for rescuing a Mk1 and especially a red one (That will please Martin...aka MJL).
And thanks for sharing the trials and tribulations of Mx-5 ownership!....Yes the Mx has a way of getting under the skin!!!!
Sorry I'm unaware of what original mats could be worth....But on the wiring, investing in a 'Haynes workshop manual' should help.
Or maybe good old 'Google'.....
Keep us updated, and enjoy.(y)
Hi,
Spent too many hours looking at diagrams for american and japanese models, ive used a multimeter to confirm its working yet none of the 4 radios i have turn on
I have a haynes manual somewhere, got to find it now lol
Thanks (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found some better photos of the interior on my old phone, recently got a new one
Gear shift Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Gauge

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part

Either going to try restore this wheel or get another one, only thing that's letting down the interior at this point
Hopefully got some nicer seatbelt stalks on the way too

Attachments

·
Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,670 Posts
Hi Alex and welcome to the forum :)

It is a long time since I owned a Mark 1, so sorry but I am unable to help with your questions. I am curious though, as your car looks to be a UK Mark 1, but the stereo looks like it is from an import model, so I am not sure if this is a factor in why the wiring was cut previously?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Alex and welcome to the forum :)

It is a long time since I owned a Mark 1, so sorry but I am unable to help with your questions. I am curious though, as your car looks to be a UK Mark 1, but the stereo looks like it is from an import model, so I am not sure if this is a factor in why the wiring was cut previously?
It had some led sony bluetooth single din that they cut it all for, got the oem radios because i like them way more
as far as i know they came in uk models but there was tons of radio options, the cd player is from america but the radio/cassette is out of a uk/japanese one as it doesnt have the mazda logo on it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Automotive lighting Grass Red Tints and shades Carmine
Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

decided to paint the wing mirrors as halfords sell Classic Red in spray cans, was going pretty well until..
Sleeve Natural material Art Circle Fashion accessory

so, had one that was meant to stick onto a broken mirror - i broke it a bit too much though, so going to halfords again tomorrow to get one as i saw they sold model specific ones
Automotive side-view mirror Motor vehicle Mirror Automotive lighting Hood

have to drive it down there though, so going to be very janky for a bit haha
also need to put lacquer on the paint, dont have the 1200 grit i need to do that so picking some up at the same time

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
well i got in today and the cassette and cd players turned on, very confused lol
Automotive design Center console Vehicle audio Personal luxury car Audio equipment

only issue is that when a cd is put into the cd player it just says "disc set" and a couple of - flash next to it, when i press play it stops flashing but still ejects the cd (the other buttons do the same thing, when pressed after the flashing stops its starts it again)
i know they break a ton but cant find anything on this
if anyone has run into/fixed this issue please let me know how you dealt with it
{looked a bit more and found that it could be a bad laser, which is apparently about $150, so thats going to wait lol}

1 - 20 of 40 Posts