Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. My MK3 has got a leak on the top corner where the hood, windscreen and side window meet. Luckily its only in really heavy rain but it does dip on to the passenger seat which is annoying.
I've had a good look at the rubber and all seems fine and its in good condition. I see the rubber is hollow so I'm wondering if this should be a drainage hole? If it is I'll try cleaning it out to see if that helps.
If anyone can tell me if that is right I'd be grateful.
Thanks Mike

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

·
Unicorn finder
11,533 Posts
It’s not unusual for there to be water leakage after a replacement screen is fitted. The only drain holes I know of are the ones at the back in a mk3….. but best wait for the experts to tell you.

·
Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,616 Posts
It is some time since I owned a soft-top Mark 3, so sorry I don’t know the answer, but good luck on getting it sorted

Reactions: Ali5

·
Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
17,221 Posts
The only other thing I can think of, if cleaning out the rubber doesn't work, is to adjust the tension of the front of the hood against the header rail rubber seal. (You can use talcum powder to test if the contact is even along the entire length of the rubber seal.)

There is a tension adjuster inside the centre catch. Have a look---you'll see a screw and a locknut (from memory). Please do not over-tighten it though, for obvious reasons! The hood needs to be firmly pressed against the rubber seal without completely crushing it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know about the tension adjuster. I've cleaned down through the centre hole in the rubber so it's now a case of waiting for the next heavy rain to see if it still leaks. It was definitely easier to push the wire down the side that wasn't leaking so fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts