Mazda MX5 Forum banner

HubNut

61490 Views 1642 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Kev5
I thought I'd started a thread on this chap but can't find it.

He's a motoring journalist with a liking for older cars. His take on the 'green car' is not to buy a new small turboed hatch but to fettle something destined for the scrap yard and keep it going. He has a small fleet of old bangers.

His other interests include 4x4s, electric vehicles and facial hair.

Reactions: 2
41 - 60 of 1643 Posts
I'm actually warming to the 'Invacar project'.......Think its more the tinkering/bodging that keeps me entertained, it's a 'masterclass' in 'how not to!'..... :giggle:

Still can't see the point though!
Reactions: 3
Whoa!.....that just re-enforces my reasoning as to why he's bothered with it! :nod:

It's just an accident waiting to happen.....and he's planning a future 300 mile trip in it, the mans mental! :frantic:
Reactions: 1
He prefers the 'unexceptional' Kev.... :rofl:

Or POS that no one else would touch, find his collection capers interesting though! :frantic:
^^^^Hmmmm......more 'a toil than a pleasure!'..... :giggle:
I'd have a lot more respect for him though if he'd chuck that Invacar into the nearest cut (that's the canal for Martin and Dennis :) )
Agree 100% D....'Classic' cars are things we owned/lusted after when we were younger, or remember travelling in as kids.

Can't ever remember anyone 'lusting' after an 'Invacar!' :rofl: :rofl: (or anyone of a dozen or more 'not nice descriptions' that were attached to them!)
Apart from when he's driving Jaaagggss :giggle: ....that's got to be the best car I've seen him in!......Glorious sound! :thumbsup:
Reactions: 4
Tempted to buy a 'Hub Nut sticker', but sadly neither The Vitara or Ae are 'unremarkable' enough! .... :giggle:
I'm even starting to appreciate the 2CV! Do I need medical help?
Errr......Yes!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead:
Watching Ian constantly have to repair his fleet I'm taken back to my early days of motoring when the only way I could own a car was to spend the weekend preparing it for the next working week. Saturday morning was usually spent trawling the scrap yards looking for replacement bits. From door handles to complete engines it was a constant battle to keep the rapidly oxidising body shell capable of being driven...
That exactly describes my early days of motoring, Jono! (and I'll bet we're not the only ones on here either!)
Yep...

Resonates with me as a 8/10 year old kid, who used to do the rounds of the 'scrappers' on a Sunday morning, with my step-father to keep whatever heap err... car he had bought earlier in the week mobile!!......Great days. :giggle:
Until recently I have viewed this affable fellow, with his collection of nightmarish automotive miscellany and his incredibly untidy garage, with some disdain, if I'm honest.

However, I am now envious!!

Apparently I was heard shouting this in my sleep last night..."A 2CV, a 2CV...my Kingdom for a 2CV!"
Why not buy one? The engine can't be much more complicated than the one in your model kit. Ideal for stripping down on the kitchen table :D I'm sure Caroline would love you to have a hobby. Maybe one you can share? I'd not fancy driving one but would enjoy rebuilding it.
I have to admit, the possibility cannot be ruled out...(please don't tell Chris!!)
Update on the above /\ /\ /\

I am saddened to admit that the "possibility" is now definitely "ruled out".

I have spent some time this morning perusing prices of 'Tin Snails' on various seller's websites, including the chap in Wiltshire who rebuilds them as new. Current prices for these little creatures are absolutely through the roof!

A rough one in barely roadworthy condition will set you back £2,500, whereas the average tidy runner will be around £5,500. Good ones are £7,500 and really well restored examples are fetching between £10,000 and £12,000 !!! :eek:

Oh well, looks like I'll have to wait another 70 years for prices of these 'Beardy' cars to fall down to banger money again (where they belong, if I'm honest) ... :bored:
Thank the lord!...... :hug:
My mate Carl inherited a Renault 12 in maroon from his father..... (child cruelty in the extreme!)

Sadly despite his best efforts it wouldn't die!... :nah:
Will we ever see him or the car again?
Things could be arranged, D :devil:
Please!!!!!!!!!....... :giggle: :giggle:
^^^^Yep I agree Kev.....never in a month of Sundays would I buy that Dacia, Invacar etc etc.

But I get the concept of buying older motors, with life in them and he certainly gets usage I wouldn't risk.
Just an observation - don't you think Ian's mate, Rich, is so much like Sam Lovegrove from Henry Cole's Shed And Buried on Ch 42 ? He not only looks a bit like him, but sounds like him too :)
Yeah I thought that too Kev....he's just a bit more err, erm, oh, err.......Ginger! :frantic:
Just glad I don't pay his petrol bills!..... :frantic:
Enjoying his capers....still (just wonder why he bothered!) :unsure:

From experience, NGK spark plugs never seemed to be as suited to car engines as they did motorbikes.....
Thank you for these entertaining videos, Jono.

Despite HubNut's indefatigable penchant for automotive decrepitude, I do have a sneaking envy of his freewheeling lifestyle.
You've got to admire a man with his own cloak!
Thought for a moment that he'd joined some weird cult or summat! .... :giggle: :frantic:
£1200!!!......Jeeezzz it's owner was robbed! :frantic:

I'd have had to be given double that to take it off their hands!.....and I like yank tanks! :giggle:
The Reliant briefly peaked my interest as an ex owner....

but he's not putting a Scimitar v6 in the Fox, spoilsport! :(
41 - 60 of 1643 Posts