Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1501 - 1519 of 1519 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
17,024 Posts
Yes Kev...moved on a bit haven't they!....
The last time I had a ride in a truck was a Seddon Atkinson my stepfather drove in around 1970!... :ROFLMAO:
Wow! a 1970 Seddon Atki !! With a good ol' Gardner 6LXB 180 and a Fuller 9-speed (or maybe an Eton 12 speed 'ranger') You knew you'd done a day's work after driving one of those, especially the older 150 model which only had 'ram-type' power steering!!

I remember the pall of thick, blue-grey smoke, hanging heavy in transport depots back in the day, whilst several Gardner diesels eventually fired up after many minutes of cranking!! I used to be able to tell what engine it was by the smell of the smoke!

Have a gander at this --->

Reactions: MJL and Garffey

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
^^^ Love that Kev....and they complain of pollution today! :ROFLMAO:

This is nearer to what the stepfather drove....and on the very same Oldham road going out of Huddersfield!
This took me back to being a wide-eyed 10 year old!!

• Love
Reactions: Pat, MJL and Kev5

·
Premium Member
17,024 Posts
Wow! Fabulous clip, Chris! That old Gardner 180 sounds wonderful!! Love the 'block' gear changes 😃

That old feller looks like me these days!!!

(I could still handle those old beasts)

Reactions: Garffey and MJL

·
Premium Member
17,024 Posts
[PS: At about 0:50 in the video did you notice the exhaust manifold blowing slightly on the Atki's Gardner 180? - not uncommon on those old motors]

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
[PS: At about 0:50 in the video did you notice the exhaust manifold blowing slightly on the Atki's Gardner 180? - not uncommon on those old motors]
Ha Ha....I did Kev, faithful to the sounds the one the stepfather drove that day made! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: MJL and Kev5

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
Nissan Prairie!....remember someone at work having one of these!

Reactions: Kev5 and MJL

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
Hub Nut visits Brooklands Museum....

·
Premium Member
17,024 Posts
That was all very interesting -- no chance of me nodding off watching that -- well done, HubNut and thank you for posting, Chris 👍 🙂

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
That was all very interesting -- no chance of me nodding off watching that -- well done, HubNut and thank you for posting, Chris 👍 🙂
Quite Kev, having never been to Brooklands (but on the list) I thought it worth posting....it was either that or 'Man fails to fit shock absorber on Daewoo Matiz!'...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Kev5

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
Back to the 'real world' stuff.....A Multipla'....:sick:

·
Premium Member
17,024 Posts
Thanks again, Chris -- That...erm...'car' is sooo HubNut isn't it? 😂

[EDIT: Can you imagine, in a dream nightmare, having a two-car garage comprising an electric 2CV and a FIAT Multipla?? !!!!! 😱]

• Haha
Reactions: Garffey

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
Thanks again, Chris -- That...erm...'car' is sooo HubNut isn't it? 😂

[EDIT: Can you imagine, in a dream nightmare, having a two-car garage comprising an electric 2CV and a FIAT Multipla?? !!!!! 😱]
It is Kev, and he seems quite taken with it too....
It would be a nightmare :eek: of epic proportions waking to find those two abominations in your garage or driveway!!!!...

• Haha
Reactions: Kev5

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
Oh my giddy Aunt !!....He said he likes them, but my god!....

• Wow
Reactions: Kev5 and MJL

·
Premium Member
17,024 Posts
Dear God! 😱

Just when I was beginning to believe that HubNut was maturing...

• Haha

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
He drives a 'Ford Focus'.....

Reactions: Pat and Kev5

·
Premium Member
17,024 Posts
Thank you, Chris.

We will all remember the Ford Focus being hailed as the hatchback by which all others were judged...

The company I worked for in the late '90s had a focus as a 'pool' car and I remember well the razor-sharp handling, the solid brake feel and lively engine. My middle brother, Ade, had a 'Pepper Red' 1.8 from new in 2000 and he kept it for many years, taking the mileage to almost 'twice round' and all it needed was regular replacement of ARB drop links. He said it was the most reliable car he's ever had (and he's had a few!)

For me the styling was too "edgy" but I always enjoyed the drive :)

Reactions: Garffey
1501 - 1519 of 1519 Posts