Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just booked the 5 in for it's Mot and service, I've not had it serviced for two years, and I couldn't believe that I've only done 300 miles since the last Mot mainly because I used to do the most miles when I went on holiday but because of this virus Malarkey we've not been away again this year. At least it's bringing down the average yearly mileage.

·
Spending the kid's inheritance .............
38,210 Posts
Good luck with the MOT. Which colour Arctic have you got Bill ?

·
Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the very best with the MOT Bill

I am sure it will be ok 🙂
After only 300 miles I should hope so but you never know with Mots it's always a worry, the only trouble with the Mazda is it's the only car I've ever had where I cannot get my trolley jack underneath , I know I could faff about with blocks and such to get the jack under but my hearts not in it these days, after being a motor mechanic for most of my life I just want to drive and let some one else do the work although I'm never easy knowing some else is touching my car.

·
Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
17,022 Posts
Best of luck with the MOT, Bill! 👍

I share your thoughts on crawling around under cars these days too. I have been a mechanic and MOT tester in a past life, but decided about 2 years ago that enough was enough. Like you my heart's not in it nowadays; I just want to drive and pay someone else to do the dirty stuff. Burgeoning arthritis and an increasing waistline doesn't help either! 😕

Reactions: MJL and bill119

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
Good luck with the M.O.T Bill am sure all will be well....

Guess we all 'overthink' things when it comes around to m.o.t's....I'm surprised by some of the things that are acceptable come the time of the test!
And I probably 'over-maintain' my vehicles, but it's just the way I 'am, always played safe!....as anyone with mechanical sympathy would.

Many owners only sort things when something goes wrong! 😱

·
Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
9,530 Posts
Fingers and everything else crossed for you Bill.

·
Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,595 Posts
Fingers crossed for a MOT pass

Reactions: bill119

·
Premium Member
12,345 Posts
After only 300 miles I should hope so but you never know with Mots it's always a worry, the only trouble with the Mazda is it's the only car I've ever had where I cannot get my trolley jack underneath , I know I could faff about with blocks and such to get the jack under but my hearts not in it these days, after being a motor mechanic for most of my life I just want to drive and let some one else do the work although I'm never easy knowing some else is touching my car.
I bought a low entry trolley jack for the Eunos when I got it Bill, about £40 from Machine Mart as I recall, and it does the Frog now which is even lower than the Eunos was.

It was MOT time for the MG a week or so ago as well, like the Frog it doesn't legally require one and no road tax to pay either :) - but I like to get them checked over every year. I have a good MOT guy that I've used for knocking on 20 years, he's old school so understands old motors and won't fail them on daft things. It's the first time he's done the MG, it had a fresh MOT when I bought it in 2019 and I never had it (or the Frog) done last year because of the virus thing. Both passed with no problems but i do have a couple of little bits to sort, like re-shim the MG front wheel bearings. I fitted new discs a couple of months ago and shimmed the bearings after that but as you know they always need doing again after a few weeks use. Pics of MG MOT day ........

·
Premium Member
11,640 Posts
That is a stunning MGB GT - especially in that colour with black wire wheels.

You are, as usual, very lucky.

·
Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I may have said it before but I used to do PDI's on MG's in the 1960's and that car definitely shines far more than a brand new one ever did.

·
Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've just booked the 5 in for it's Mot and service, I've not had it serviced for two years, and I couldn't believe that I've only done 300 miles since the last Mot mainly because I used to do the most miles when I went on holiday but because of this virus Malarkey we've not been away again this year. At least it's bringing down the average yearly mileage.
Today was the service and MOT day. On the service they noticed that the rear callipers were seized and when they got them stripped down they found it was only one so it wasn't going to cost as much as they first thought. It passed the MOT ok so with the money saved from the calliper I booked the car in for an underbody waxoyl, it has been done in the past but it was 10yrs ago.so in need of a top up. I think it helps people to know how much things cost and it doesn't bother me so it was £292 all in, including £42.87 VAT for the treasury's annual dinner.

·
38,210 Posts
Today was the service and MOT day. On the service they noticed that the rear callipers were seized and when they got them stripped down they found it was only one so it wasn't going to cost as much as they first thought. It passed the MOT ok so with the money saved from the calliper I booked the car in for an underbody waxoyl, it has been done in the past but it was 10yrs ago.so in need of a top up. I think it helps people to know how much things cost and it doesn't bother me so it was £292 all in, including £42.87 VAT for the treasury's annual dinner.
Glad you are keeping the "Arctic" in good fettle for me .... ! ;)

·
Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love everything about the Arctic except for .......The road tax , it's ridiculous, my plan is to live long enough to see it tax exempt, it's supposed to run on this new fangled alcohol fuel so if they don't change it again it'll be ok. I don't Sorn it because there's always a few nice days during Winter, I know it works out expensive but it's my only hobby these days and Nothing is carved in stone.

·
Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,595 Posts
You could buy a Mark 4, and pay lower road tax (£155 for a 2017 onwards car), and enjoy better fuel consumption than an older MX5, but the depreciation on the Mark 4 will be much higher in "normal times" (currently secondhand car values seem to be going up, but this is probably short-lived)

·
Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could buy a Mark 4, and pay lower road tax (£155 for a 2017 onwards car), and enjoy better fuel consumption than an older MX5, but the depreciation on the Mark 4 will be much higher in "normal times" (currently secondhand car values seem to be going up, but this is probably short-lived)
Very true Mark, I could, but it's the retro look that I like, if I just wanted a soft top I would get a 4 seater so that I could get the grandkids in as well.

·
38,210 Posts
Very true Mark, I could, but it's the retro look that I like, if I just wanted a soft top I would get a 4 seater so that I could get the grandkids in as well.
I totally agree, Bill. I keep changing my "moderns" but they are all built to meet exactly the same safety and eco standards and they all seem totally bland and characterless to me

1 - 20 of 23 Posts