Mazda MX5 Forum banner
221 - 240 of 265 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,696 Posts
Thank you, Kev. That has confused me further... as it did when I first saw it... but in a nice way.

·
...you can call me Sal
238 Posts
I didn't expect much from this review but was surprised.
.... :lol: he's a funny little guy ...bit of an acquired taste, but actually covers all the bases, with a nice take on some dry humour/comedy... thanks for the link Jono.

...and while killing time I also found this lil' review by another young 'un which I quite liked too ...it helps that it's just like my ace little ceramic sal-mobile, yay! ... :popcorn:

·
Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
9,639 Posts
Oh dear, obviously been reading how to win friends and influence people whilst doing his potty training!!

He sounds like many a Mazda salesman, and I'll refer to Cinq's last post. At 22 seconds he says 'this is different because it's actually cool' Then immediately makes his statement seem stupid by stating that the "Miata" (I thought it was marketed as MX5 world wide now??) was the worlds' best selling Roadster and yet we seem to be reviewing the RF :unsure:

I would think that any niche vehicle that has sold over a million cars, most of which will be NA,NB and NC is 'cool'

I think the younster needs to perhaps have a look at the post Tim put up with the mildly modded NC cracking 7mins 49 sec and delve into the bigger picture of all the forebears of the ND before making such uninformed statements.

He must be called Pike; silly boy. ;)

p.s. I have nothing against youth taking on the mantle of car reviewing but sadly YT has provided a vehicle for anyone to throw misguided reviews up on the web and they get considered as being accurate and well reesearched, sadly this just is not so with so many.

·
Turning into a Grumpy Old Git!
889 Posts
Oh dear, obviously been reading how to win friends and influence people whilst doing his potty training!!

He sounds like many a Mazda salesman, and I'll refer to Cinq's last post. At 22 seconds he says 'this is different because it's actually cool' Then immediately makes his statement seem stupid by stating that the "Miata" (I thought it was marketed as MX5 world wide now??) was the worlds' best selling Roadster and yet we seem to be reviewing the RF :unsure:

I would think that any niche vehicle that has sold over a million cars, most of which will be NA,NB and NC is 'cool'

I think the younster needs to perhaps have a look at the post Tim put up with the mildly modded NC cracking 7mins 49 sec and delve into the bigger picture of all the forebears of the ND before making such uninformed statements.

p.s. I have nothing against youth taking on the mantle of car reviewing but sadly YT has provided a vehicle for anyone to throw misguided reviews up on the web and they get considered as being accurate and well reesearched, sadly this just is not so with so many.
Not to my taste either, however if reviews like that help to bring down the average age demographic through the range then that's got to be a good thing. My observation is that the 'majority' of owners are mid life crisis (or empty nesters, call it what you like... :) ) age or yoofs doing interesting things to MK1's

Reactions: Steveti and Jono

·
9,639 Posts

Not to my taste either, however if reviews like that help to bring down the average age demographic through the range then that's got to be a good thing. My observation is that the 'majority' of owners are mid life crisis (or empty nesters, call it what you like... :) ) age or yoofs doing interesting things to MK1's
Indeed, there is a new wave of youngsters doing good stuff and also sadly destroying Mk1s with some crazy mods i.e over camber, stretched tyres etc, sadly these will end their life going through hedges backwards if driven at any speed on the road. By the same token there are some that 'get it' and are doing a Dewi or a BD with their Mk1s.

For me, to make a sweeping statement like he did in the first few seconds was quite disrespectful to the heritage of the car, something that he clearly knows little if anything about and similarly with some of his comments about the car he was reviewing. I would love to think that young and knowledgeable car reviewers would introduce a younger demographic to the MX5, I caertainly agree with the comments about many owners being as you describe indeed on the face of it I would fit the demographic (empty nester) but in truth I've never run a standard car in my life and always had something interesting one way or another. When the girls headed off to college though I was able to indulge in the selfishness of only having two seats.

·
...you can call me Sal
238 Posts
ooh, er ! ... I was only joining in .... I had no idea my innocent choice would be sooo controversial ..... ::help: o_Oo_O :eek:

·
9,639 Posts
I didn't expect much from this review but was surprised.
It is a pity he changes gear at about 3,500 rpm! No wonder it's performance was disappointing.
That's the way they teach them theses days :( economical driving. I'm sure in a couple of weeks of driving the MX-5 he'd discover the action of the rev limiter :)
And no concept of coordination between clutch and throttle but it has 9 speakers and you can drive hands off the wheel playing air guitar - cretin.

SaL - No controversy, just a wee boy making a vid. He perhaps needs to get behind the wheel of a real NC, he'd sh1t himself and co me at the same time, pardon crudities but I just get tired of these vids of kids with little or no experience. Christ on a bendy bus, he still has to grow into the seats

Reactions: Gingertimbo and MJL

·
...you can call me Sal
238 Posts
:( ...oh Steveti it's such a shame you're being so harsh ....were you never young and inexperienced yourself? ....he's enthusiastic, a positive monkey, "we're the young generation and we've got something to say", no one is going to be put off from trying out an mx5 by watching his video, that's got to be a good thing ....no harm, no crime, I say.

·
9,639 Posts
Sorry Sal but no, not if I had something to say to the world.

Research, research and research, engage brain before letting the month loose, something learned well before I could reach the pedals of a pushbike, let alone a car with 'only'155bhp.

My first owned vehicles would have had the 55bhp perhaps and no trims, rubber flooring etc, carpets being a luxury. So not being harsh at all, simply some constructive critique on a poor review by one with little life experience, let alone driving any car experience and clearly none with MX5s.

That comes across loud and clear sadly, remember the heritage Heritage of the car, to make rash statements about the ND being the only cool MX5 is just plain stupid, has he driven the earlier models? Clearly not or he would not have made this statement, I've driven all models and they are all very competent cars in experienced hands.

Far from being an old fart in outlook, check out the spec and build of the GM, researched over 3+ years before being built by my own fair hands in my own garage. My point? YT is a vloggers wet dream where they have scope to talk nonsense quoted out of manuals, plagiarised from other sources and turned into ill informed articles such as is demonstrated in this video.

People want facts rather than infantile and poorly constructed opinion.

Ask the fella about hard tech and he will crumble, after all he refers to an RF as a Roadster, not a great start.

How does the car handle, how does it turn in, is it neutral or does it tend to oversteer or understeer or is it very neutral, how is the body roll, how is the steering feedback, can you feel that Sixpence on the road or does it go unnoticed. These are things that are a measure of vehicle in particular a sports car rather than having nine speakers blasting out blasting out in a way that you cannot hear what is going on such as emergency vehicles approaching from behind etc.

Harsh? Not so much. He'd make what some may call a good salesman, nice lad, little product knowledge. I would far rather be sold on a vehicle based on some of the parameters I mention rather than the perceived cool factor that this lad seems to focus on.

·
Premium Member
11,696 Posts
Sorry Sal but no, not if I had something to say to the world.

Research, research and research, engage brain before letting the month loose, something learned well before I could reach the pedals of a pushbike, let alone a car with 'only'155bhp.

My first owned vehicles would have had the 55bhp perhaps and no trims, rubber flooring etc, carpets being a luxury. So not being harsh at all, simply some constructive critique on a poor review by one with little life experience, let alone driving any car experience and clearly none with MX5s.

That comes across loud and clear sadly, remember the heritage Heritage of the car, to make rash statements about the ND being the only cool MX5 is just plain stupid, has he driven TV he earlier models? Clearly not or he would not have made this statement, I've driven all models and they are all very competent cars in experienced hands.

Far from being an old fart in outlook, check out the spec and build of the GM, researched over 3+ years before being built by my own fair hands in my own garage. My point? YT is a vloggers wet dream where they have scope to talk nonsense quoted out of manuals, plagiarised from other sources and turned into ill informed articles such as is demonstrated in this video.

People want facts rather than infantile and poorly constructed opinion.

Ask the fella about hard tech and he will crumble, after all he refers to an RF as a Roadster, not a great start.

How does the car handle, how does it turn in, is it neutral or does it tend to oversteer or understeer or is it very neutral, how is the body roll, how is the steering feedback, can you feel that Sixpence on the road or does it go unnoticed. These are things that are a measure of vehicle in particular a sports car rather than having nine speakers blasting out blasting out in a way that you cannot hear what is going on such as emergency vehicles approaching from behind etc.

Harsh? Not so much. He'd make what some may call a good salesman, nice lad, little product knowledge. I would far rather be sold on a vehicle based on some of the parameters I mention rather than the perceived cool factor that this lad seems to focus on.
"People want facts rather than infantile and poorly constructed opinion."

That in a nutshell is the problem with the modern world. We almost never get facts!

I thought you were warm and cuddly, Steve, compared to your notes on rust proofing. :giggle: (He says, running out the door.)

·
Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
17,347 Posts
That was a very honest, straight-talking review. I like that. Thank you, Jono.

This car is gradually moving up my shopping list as the end of my current PCP draws closer :)

·
Premium Member
11,696 Posts
Sorry, Jono, I am afraid I loathe the pair of morons who parade as Savage Geese. I have tried to watch this before but commonsense prevailed!

·
Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
17,347 Posts
Is this another of the annoying faults of the ND.
This has happened a few times now. :(

attachicon.gif
Screenshot_2018-03-02-10-34-15.png
If you expand the pic, Tim, you'll notice the uneven bead of windscreen adhesive which may indicate that a replacement screen has been fitted - and possibly some broken plastic clips on the header-rail trim.

Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
28,307 Posts
Possibly Kev, but not the first I've heard of, surely the clips would break if it was torn off by the wind.

Another thought. .......

221 - 240 of 265 Posts