Mazda MX5 Forum banner

Mark IV ( ND)

22K views 267 replies 27 participants last post by  Garffey 
#1 ·
Start posting :coffee:

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you, Pat :hug: We have our own thread, ND folks!! :skip:

I will post up here as soon as I have something worthwhile to...oh, wait - yes I do!

Last Saturday, I put the rear end of my ND ICON upon my extendable ramps to have a 'butcher's' at the underside. I wanted to see how things have changed since the previous model.

Now, as some of you know, I am not so agile these days, due to widespread osteoarthritis, a portly physique and burgeoning old age! ..so I do struggle with scrawling around under cars, however I am glad I did. There are some detail changes apparent.

Firstly and importantly, the chassis bracing is all aluminium now rather than steel, so no more future 'tin-worm' here, I'm glad to report. (My NC steel bracing went red-rusty after only a short while!). The rear subframe is also smaller and lighter in appearance and the anti-roll bar looks like a wire coat hanger!!

Also, the differential casing is now all aluminium and completely smooth without the familiar cooling fins we have seen on previous models.

The exhaust system has been redesigned, which would explain the wonderful sound it produces - there is a shallower back-box (giving a deeper boot space) and a single exit with twin, close coupled tail pipes.

The brake discs are smaller than the NC, yet the braking feels more efficient, no doubt due to the car being much lighter overall.

Now the bad bits...

There is still much evidence of skimped undersealing in all the usual areas - you may recall IanH's (now Yann) very good pictorial report on this subject a while ago and mine is much the same with many vulnerable areas of underbody largely unprotected. There is some underseal there, but it is nowhere near a proper application.

So, I went off and purchased a small tin of Hammerite Underseal and spent the next couple of hours stippling said product over the areas which had been missed in the factory, including the whole rear subframe. I was pleased with the results and once it had semi-set I went for a drive to air-dry it off.

Looking at it later I am still happy with the appearance and despite being unable to reach all areas, I feel I have made a difference. When I am feeling able, I will get the front up and do the same at that end.

My efforts won't, of course, be as comprehensive as a full underbody seal and cavity waxing session, but there is nobody around my area who I would trust to do it properly without making a horrible mess over everything and to try to do it at home would likely kill me off - not to mention the inevitable mess over the drive!

I will keep an eye on things as time progresses, as I did on my last car, and hopefully it won't rust out during my custodianship :rolleyes:

Kev.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Piccy of Kev's charriot that he's asked me to post for him, his blurb will follow in later I'm sure :)

Attachments

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Piccy of Kev's charriot that he's asked me to post for him, his blurb will follow in later I'm sure :)
  • post-4256-0-53510700-1477870997_thumb.jp

Many thanks for posting the photo, D :thumbsup:

Caroline took this on Ilfracombe Pier yesterday (pity about the old geezer in the background!). We have now completed 0ver 600 mile in "The Beast" and it is loosening up nicely! Yes, yes, I know I've always said that naming cars is girly and that I never would, etc, etc...but it was Caroline who gave it that name on day one and it has stuck!

This car also attracts much positive attention from passers-by. Some school boys on the way to the pier called out, "cor! nice car mister!" as well as many other approving looks from folk.

The ND continues to delight us both in so many areas. So far we are surprised by the eager performance from it's diminutive engine, which is improving with every trip as things run-in and loosen up. The exhaust note is intoxicating too, especially after the rather flat sound of the previous NC. On the uphill, three-lane route out of Ilfracombe a 3 series Beemer was left well behind when he pulled out to overtake us! The little '5 just kept on pulling away :)

On Saturday we went to Bristol for a family lunch to celebrate Caroline's birthday and it was averaging 41 mpg, which isn't bad. After lunch in the City Centre, I took our youngest son back to Temple Meads Railway Station and we heard and saw much praise from pedestrians in the bustling, busy streets - I even got a thumbs-up from a First bus driver :thumbsup: Also, a group of young men wanted to chat whilst we were waiting at a busy junction - they adored the look of the ICON and thought it was a Lotus, until they spotted the badge!

Up to now, the only negative comments from me are: 1) the seats could do with a little more lumbar support on longer journeys, and 2) the gear-knob looks a lot nicer than it feels in the hand and it could do with being a bit weightier, in my opinion.

What say other ND folk?

Kev.

#6 ·
Have to agree with all you say Kev. :)

5,800+ miles on ST now and the MPG is slowly climbing to 48.2. Im sure that figure is going to rise, even with spirited driving.The short throw gear change is so slick now it's loosened off. The exhaust note from the BBR back box, throaty but not intrusive with the odd occasion the hood is up, has had many a comment from others. Eh, Jackie? ;)

School kids? Always positive comments are heard when passing slowly past in traffic, which I think I've mentioned before
as in other built up areas.

Gripes. Lack of storage with no glove box so have got round that problem with one of these. It just fits nicely in front of the passenger seat and can be put in the boot when leaving the car. From Debenhams if anyone else is interested. :)

Rectangle Bag Font Bumper Sleeve

The CD slot being behind the seats under the central storage box is a little awkward to load having to twist round to load
but having most of our music on a memory stick cures that problem. I only found out about the CD slot because I was given
the new CD by a certain Russell Watson, True Stories which I played on the way home after watching football with him last week.
A plug for any fans!! :rofl:

There ya go, my views up to now. Anymore from other ND owners?

Attachments

#7 ·

Attachments

Reactions: kevinrpallett
#8 ·

5,800+ miles on ST now and the MPG is slowly climbing to 48.2. Im sure that figure is going to rise, even with spirited driving.The short throw gear change is so slick now it's loosened off. The exhaust note from the BBR back box, throaty but not intrusive with the odd occasion the hood is up, has had many a comment from others. Eh, Jackie? ;)

School kids? Always positive comments are heard when passing slowly past in traffic, which I think I've mentioned before

Gripes. Lack of storage with no glove box so have got round that problem with one of these. It just fits nicely in front of the passenger seat and can be put in the boot when leaving the car. From Debenhams if anyone else is interested. :)

attachicon.gif
Screenshot_2016-10-31-08-10-19.png

The CD slot being behind the seats under the central storage box is a little awkward to load having to twist round to load
but having most of our music on a memory stick cures that problem. I only found out about the CD slot because I was given
the new CD by a certain Russell Watson, True Stories which I played on the way home after watching football with him last week.

OOh is it out yet?

#10 ·
Try one of these Kev, I like mine a lot. They weight around 360gms which feels a nice solid weight but they're nice and compact, cheap enough too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D1-SPEC-UNIVERSAL-RACING-WEIGHTED-GEAR-KNOB-6MT-GUNMETAL-CHROME-JDM-DRIFT-/201004395587?hash=item2ecccbac43:g:powAAMXQlgtSrLVg.

attachicon.gif

OOh is it out yet?
Ha! I thought you were being sarky, Pat and referring to the ND!! :lol:

#11 ·
Try one of these Kev, I like mine a lot. They weight around 360gms which feels a nice solid weight but they're nice and compact, cheap enough too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D1-SPEC-UNIVERSAL-RACING-WEIGHTED-GEAR-KNOB-6MT-GUNMETAL-CHROME-JDM-DRIFT-/201004395587?hash=item2ecccbac43:g:powAAMXQlgtSrLVg.
I do like the look of that, D, it would really suit my gunmetal car :thumbsup: ...I've bookmarked it so I can have a think about it (and save up £19.99 - well, things are a bit tight around here now!! :rolleyes: )

#12 ·

attachicon.gif

OOh is it out yet?
Ha! I thought you were being sarky, Pat and referring to the ND!! :lol:
haha, me ? sarky ?

never :angel:

:giggle:

#20 ·
Regarding my latest pic (also on my signature now) nobody has commented on the rusty, iron capstan on the boot-lid yet!!

I've gone for the retro nautical look. Took me ages to get that screwed on just right... :mellow:
Capstan? Capstan? ............ I can't see capstan - can anybody else see a capstan? There's no need to lose your head over it Kev

Attachments

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Regarding my latest pic (also on my signature now) nobody has commented on the rusty, iron capstan on the boot-lid yet!!

I've gone for the retro nautical look. Took me ages to get that screwed on just right... :mellow:
Capstan? Capstan? ............ I can't see capstan - can anybody else see a capstan? There's no need to lose your head over it Kev
OI!!! ..I WANT ME CAPSTAN BACK!!! :stomp:

I USE IT FOR ME SPARE TYRES SEE!!!!!!

#23 ·

You'll need a bigger one than that for your spare tyres mate :giggle:

#24 ·

You'll need a bigger one than that for your spare tyres mate :giggle:
:mellow:

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
AT LAST!!!

I have received, through the post, the two rubber bungs that should have been fitted to the underside of the car during the (yeah, right...) PDI.

To finally obtain these items (which have already been discussed) took four separate e-mails and five separate phone calls to my dealer, over a period of three weeks!!!

It shouldn't be much to ask, should it? ...Two tu'penny ha'penny rubber bungs!

I was clearly being ignored, so I finally had to threaten to write to the MD of County Mazda, to the effect that he might like to know why I may not be using their services again - all over a couple of rubber bungs. This got some action! They arrived in the post yesterday morning.

plug2.jpg

I would strongly advise all the ND chaps to obtain these bungs - your dealer has them - they just can't be bothered to put them in.

As I have already said earlier on this thread, I have applied more underseal in various areas which were missed during production, including around the holes that these bungs fit into. I have yet to do the same around the front end due to work commitments, but I expect to do this this next weekend, weather permitting.

The ND ICON continues to delight and with over 800 miles now on the clock it is loosening up nicely :)

I am hoping that 1st and 2nd gear selection will get easier with time and mileage, too.

This car also continues to be unputdownable at the end of each trip - sometimes we turn into our drive and then turn out again to extend our trip!! I just cannot put it down!! :lol:

The ICON is really that good...Caroline and me never thought we'd be saying that about the ND a year ago! ^_^

Kev.

[PS: It would be great to hear more views from our other ND custodians :nod:]

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well done, it's funny business as they come with the car, mine were missing and a good search or so I thought failed to find them. I did however find them a month or so ago when I wasn't looking for them, but of course I'd already sourced four from Mazda by them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.