Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Spending the kid's inheritance .............
42,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our son has had his 2014 Mazda 2 from new, always serviced and MOT'd by our very good and usually competitive local Mazda Dealer.
This year a 9 year service to Mazda Schedule including MOT is quoted at £360, much higher than previous years services
and much higher than KwikFit, Halfords, Autolube, etc.

His mileage is only 36,000, is there anything special about the 9 year service to warrant the price hike which could be omitted ?

Any comments on comparative dealer servicing costs would be appreciated.

Attachments

· Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
17,328 Posts
Being an ex motor mechanic I'm fussy who I let touch my cars so when our local Mazda main dealer packed up some years ago and the garage was taken over by Perrys I decided to go to our local small garage and I took my new car in to have a small warranty job done , when I picked the car up and got home I went over it with a fine tooth comb and it was perfect so from that day on I have always used him as he is authorised to service new cars and do warranty work, I've used him now for ten years so I know him quite well and he does small jobs for free. My last service was £300 , that was £100 labour + MoT+ £60 for a calipur and some other exras and nearly £50 VaT.
I know prices are a bit cheaper here up North but it gives you an idea.

· Premium Member
10,755 Posts
As you rightly say Nick that sounds a bit high....Mazda only list until year 8 service, but the 2 is a chain driven engine, so nothing over and above normal servicing I shouldn't think....Just for comparison Annes CX-3 £289 to service (45,000) and the ND was £239 (22,000 on clock) at our usual Southport dealers.
As a comparison to Mazda my mates garage charged £190 to service my daughters CX3 AWD.

· Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,732 Posts
Direct comparisons of service costs between the Mazda dealer and service centres such as Halfords, Kwik Fit etc may be difficult, as they will tend to have a "one size fits all" approach, possibly offering bronze, silver or gold services (or some other designation to distinguish services), where bronze may be just an oil and filter change, but gold may be a full service including say brake fluid but not spark plugs (these may be be an add on)

Mazda's service schedule may require a brake fluid change every 2 years, but spark plugs every 6 years (I have no idea the actual intervals for either), so a gold service every 2 years would be fine, but in years 6, 12 etc you would need to specify the spark plugs change add on. You would need to understand, in this example, what the Mazda 6th year service includes, and what the "gold" service includes / excludes, in order to make a direct comparison.

· Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
9,875 Posts
Our son has had his 2014 Mazda 2 from new, always serviced and MOT'd by our very good and usually competitive local Mazda Dealer.
This year a 9 year service to Mazda Schedule including MOT is quoted at £360, much higher than previous years services
and much higher than KwikFit, Halfords, Autolube, etc.

His mileage is only 36,000, is there anything special about the 9 year service to warrant the price hike which could be omitted ?

Any comments on comparative dealer servicing costs would be appreciated.
Given the history with dealer & bearing in mind MOT test included amd upkeep of DSR this strikes me as relativity reasonable.
Sad facts are that in our brave new world PB et al, part costs have ramped up from everywhere outside our limited UK supply base as have all businesses across the board.
This from discussions with former colleagues and suppliers with whom I still keep contact with.
Consensus is that it's all pretty sh*t out there.

Strikes next - who knows?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts